Old March 21st 09, 08:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Complusory Bus Stops

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 14:36:28 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

That's easily solved with a light next to the driver that comes on as
soon as someone rings a bell, saying "STOPPING". All my local buses have
one.

There is a particular stop by me where even this doesn't always work -
the driver is distracted coming off the roundabout and forgets. I'm
not quite sure of the solution to this, other than ringing the bell
twice, once after the previous stop and once as a reminder just before
the stop, which so far seems to work.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old March 21st 09, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

There is still often a chorus of dings, particularly on bendys,
because of a five-second gap between pressing and the ding. That
could eat up quite a lot of the stopping distance too.
The delay between pressing the button and the bell on the bendis is more
like 3 seconds, actually.
That delay has only been around a year or so, and I don't know why.
Earlier, the bell would ring as soon as you hit the button on all bendis.
But now, some bendis have the delay while others do not.
Anybody know why? Is this connected with iBus?

'm sure it is; on the bendies that still have toe 'old' sign as well, that
lights up silently when you press the bell - the ding follows with the ibus
sign.

Multiple dinging is no worse on the bendies than any others, on a ding per
50 passengers basis - I've just been dinged to death on a half empty 43 -
some people do it for entertainment, I reckon.

Surely there's a sign for the driver too? Mind you, the ones that are
selectively deaf are probably selectively blind, too. I've queried one
driver's aural health when he ignored me and another dinger - I think his
girlfriend was distracting him. He tried the 'you didn't ring in time' line,
but we'd rung in plenty of time.
--

Andrew

Interviewer: Tonight I'm interviewing that famous nurse, Florence
Nightingale
Tommy Cooper (dressed as a nurse): Sir Florence Nightingale
Interviewer: *Sir* Florence Nightingale?
Tommy Cooper: I'm a Night Nurse

Campaign For The Real Tommy Cooper

Old March 22nd 09, 01:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Andrew Heenan" wrote in message
There is still often a chorus of dings, particularly on bendys,
because of a five-second gap between pressing and the ding. That
could eat up quite a lot of the stopping distance too.
The delay between pressing the button and the bell on the bendis is more
like 3 seconds, actually.
That delay has only been around a year or so, and I don't know why.
Earlier, the bell would ring as soon as you hit the button on all bendis.
But now, some bendis have the delay while others do not.
Anybody know why? Is this connected with iBus?

'm sure it is; on the bendies that still have toe 'old' sign as well, that
lights up silently when you press the bell - the ding follows with the
ibus sign.

But that delay is only on the bendis, and not all of them that are equpped
with iBus. Double deckers with operating iBus do not have a delay when the
button is pressed.

Multiple dinging is no worse on the bendies than any others, on a ding per
50 passengers basis - I've just been dinged to death on a half empty 43 -
some people do it for entertainment, I reckon.

Surely there's a sign for the driver too? Mind you, the ones that are
selectively deaf are probably selectively blind, too. I've queried one
driver's aural health when he ignored me and another dinger - I think his
girlfriend was distracting him. He tried the 'you didn't ring in time'
line, but we'd rung in plenty of time.

Drivers get an audio and a visual signal when somebody rings the bell. They
will receive a regular signal, just a beep, if regular passengers on the
lower level push the button. But they see/hear that signal only once, to
avoid being annoyed, as passengers can continue ringing to their hearts'
delight. They also receive a different one-time signal, which is more like a
whistle, to let them know if somebody from the upper deck is ringing.

The blue button for disabled customers is more like a small siren or a very
loud beep.

Old March 22nd 09, 08:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 02:14:19 -0000, wrote:

Drivers get an audio and a visual signal when somebody rings the bell. They
will receive a regular signal, just a beep, if regular passengers on the
lower level push the button. But they see/hear that signal only once, to
avoid being annoyed, as passengers can continue ringing to their hearts'
delight. They also receive a different one-time signal, which is more like a
whistle, to let them know if somebody from the upper deck is ringing.

If that's true, it means you can't remind the driver who seems to have
forgotten by ringing again. That seems somewhat of a downside.

Notably, though, Dutch buses tend not to have a bell - it's only a
visual signal.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old March 22nd 09, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote
But that delay is only on the bendis, and not all of them that are equpped
with iBus. Double deckers with operating iBus do not have a delay when the
button is pressed.

That's quite right - it's an ibus/bendy thang.

Drivers get an audio and a visual signal when somebody rings the bell.
They will receive a regular signal, just a beep, if regular passengers on
the lower level push the button. But they see/hear that signal only once,
to avoid being annoyed, as passengers can continue ringing to their
hearts' delight. They also receive a different one-time signal, which is
more like a whistle, to let them know if somebody from the upper deck is
ringing.
The blue button for disabled customers is more like a small siren or a
very loud beep.

Thanks for that.

--
Andrew

If you stand up and be counted,
From time to time you may get yourself knocked down.
But remember this:
A man flattened by an opponent can get up again.
A man flattened by conformity stays down for good.
- Thomas J. Watson Jr.

Old March 22nd 09, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Mar 22, 9:20*am, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 02:14:19 -0000, wrote:
Drivers get an audio and a visual signal when somebody rings the bell. They
will receive a regular signal, just a beep, if regular passengers on the
lower level push the button. But they see/hear that signal only once, to
avoid being annoyed, as passengers can continue ringing to their hearts'
delight. They also receive a different one-time signal, which is more like a
whistle, to let them know if somebody from the upper deck is ringing.

If that's true, it means you can't remind the driver who seems to have
forgotten by ringing again. *That seems somewhat of a downside.

Notably, though, Dutch buses tend not to have a bell - it's only a
visual signal.

I thought that dinging lots of times was an emergency signal. Plenty
of people would assume that it had that effect.

On the multiple dinging, it's true that one often gets on on all sorts
of buses, but on bendys the same person will press repeatedly,
thinking it isn't working.

Incidentally, there are occasions where the only button I can reach is
a blue one. Does this result in the driver looking out for someone
disabled?
Old March 22nd 09, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"MIG" wrote in message

Incidentally, there are occasions where the only button I can reach is
a blue one. Does this result in the driver looking out for someone
disabled?

You mean, somebody in a wheelchair? Unlikely as the driver would certainly
have noticed earlier if a wheelchair user had boraded a bus.

Old March 22nd 09, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 03:54:59 -0700 (PDT), MIG
wrote:

I thought that dinging lots of times was an emergency signal. Plenty
of people would assume that it had that effect.

That hadn't occurred to me, but it's certainly a way it gets used.
It's also often used to signal "you've forgotten to open the back
doors" on occasion.

Removing these two options just to relieve a slight annoyance doesn't
seem that clever either.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old March 22nd 09, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:32:11 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

Deaf and blind people are disabled too.

True, though deaf people are unlikely to need the additional time to
alight that is the purpose of that button, nor to need the ramp.

Blind people, OTOH, probably do, but unless they already know where
that specific button is (by the wheelchair space) are unlikely to use
it, IMO.

Neil

--
Neil Williams