Old December 10th 09, 12:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Single fare from 2nd Jan

[OSI list]

(snip)
Bank (LU) - Cannon Street (LU) (15)
Bank (LU) - Cannon Street (NR) (40)
Bank (LU) - Fenchurch Street (NR) (40)
Bank (LU) - Liverpool Street (NR) (40)
Bank (LU) - Mansion House (LU) (15)
Bank Central / Northern / DLR (LU) - Bank Waterloo & City (LU) (15)
Bank Waterloo & City (LU) - Bank Central / Northern / DLR (LU) (15)

(snip)
Monument (LU) - Fenchurch Street (NR) (40)

But not Monument (LU) to Bank (LU) (or vice versa)?

There is a large poster at Monument telling people that changing to
Bank at street level won't cost extra on Oystercards. Is that just a
temporary arrangement during the escalator works?

PaulO

Old December 10th 09, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(MIG) wrote:

On 10 Dec, 09:49, wrote:
In article

,

(MIG) wrote:
On 10 Dec, 00:34, wrote:
In article

,
(MIG) wrote:
On 9 Dec, 22:48, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 16:22:23 -0600,
wrote:

Waterloo East (NR) - Embankment (LU) (30)
Waterloo *(NR) - Embankment (LU) (25)

A reasonable OSI for NR to Embankment I suppose, but why is
less time allowed from the main station than the slightly
closer Waterloo East?

I think I'd argue that Waterloo East is actually slightly
away further

More importantly, the main, and sometimes only, route to
Waterloo East is to go through Waterloo first. *It's the
walking route that matters; not the crowfly distance.

I thought there was a route via Waterloo Road (past the
Wellington)? That's the on I thought might be shorter. There's
not much in it either way, hence my surprise at there being a
difference.

That would involve more road crossing, and I'd agree with Paul that
it's still slightly further anyway.

I'd use the that other entrance, if you mean the one in Sandall
Street, if I was approaching from the east side of Waterloo Bridge,
but not from Embankment, which would lead me to the relatively
pedestrian-friendly route through Waterloo main.

It's also closed earlier, presumably to avoid the staircase being
filled with dossers or something. *(Not related to that thought, I
passed Tom Winsor on that staircase once.)

Maybe you're right. I suppose it's the routes we know. I always
thought the route from the main station to Hungerford Bridge was
badly messed about when walkways were added and removed or blocked
over the years.

It has been messed about, but I think it's pretty good now.

You mean they've reopened the route through the Shell building?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old December 10th 09, 01:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 10 Dec, 13:57, wrote:
In article
,

(MIG) wrote:
On 10 Dec, 09:49, wrote:
In article

,

(MIG) wrote:
On 10 Dec, 00:34, wrote:
In article

,
wrote:

[...]

Ah, no (as far as I know), but that's more a route from Jubilee
Gardens whotnot.

I was thinking straight down the northeastern side of Hungerford
Bridge and down some steps and come out opposite the pedestrian
crossings and into Waterloo.
Old December 10th 09, 02:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks a lot Paul C. for posting up the info. I always assumed for
Camden Town and Camden Road to be a valid OSI but the following
example shows a fare anomaly.

Tufnell Park - Hackney Central

Oyster PAYG Peak / Off Peak
up till 1.1.10 : £2.20 / £1.60
from 2.1.10 : £2.30 / £1.80

This clearly shows that the route is priced via Zone 1, but it is far
easier and more direct to go via Northern Line to Camden Town, walk to
Camden Road ( valid OSI) and catch London Overground to Hackney
Central ? Yet neither of the TFL Fare Finder searches show the cheaper
( non Zone 1) alternative fare ? You can go from Wembley Central to
Hackney Central via LU to Willesden Junction and LO from there. An
alternative cheaper fare is available even though Wembley Central is
further out in terms of distance to Tufnell Pk. ???!!!! Is there an
error here ? Folk in NW6 seem hard done by !

Old December 10th 09, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Dec, 13:38, Paul Oter wrote:
[OSI list]

(snip)

Bank (LU) - Cannon Street (LU) (15)
Bank (LU) - Cannon Street (NR) (40)
Bank (LU) - Fenchurch Street (NR) (40)
Bank (LU) - Liverpool Street *(NR) (40)
Bank (LU) - Mansion House (LU) (15)
Bank Central / Northern / DLR (LU) - Bank Waterloo & City (LU) (15)
Bank Waterloo & City (LU) - Bank Central / Northern / DLR (LU) (15)

(snip)
Monument (LU) - Fenchurch Street (NR) (40)

But not Monument (LU) to Bank (LU) (or vice versa)?

There is a large poster at Monument telling people that changing to
Bank at street level won't cost extra on Oystercards. Is that just a
temporary arrangement during the escalator works?

PaulO

Just during the escalator works. Once complete, you'll be expected to
stay inside the gates & use the travelator.

I have problems with the LU - NR OSIs. Folks won't want to touch back
in until their train is due - and if you've 55 minutes to wait (for an
hourly service perhaps?), you might not realise that you're time
limited & need to wait on the NR platform, not on the concourse.....

Old December 10th 09, 06:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Apologies for hijacking this thread but I've been checking the TfL
Fare Finder and it seems that if you travel from a LU station north of
Camden Town and want to head to a station west of Camden Road on the
NLL ( making use of the Camden Town / Camden Rd OSI) then you are
given the option of the "alternative" and hence cheaper route. This
option is extended to stations as west as Richmond. Seems very odd and
mightily unfair that if you are starting a journey north of Camden
Town (Northern Line) and heading east on the NLL from Camden Road then
the cheaper alternative is only available to stations up to Highbury
and Islington and then Stratford ( and not stations inbetween i.e.
Dalston K - Hackney Wick ). For any stations east of H & I Tfl are
pricing the journey as via Z1 and expect you to travel on the
Northern line down to Euston, changing onto the Victoria Line to H & I
before catching the NLL. Surely if you made use of the Camden Town /
Camden Road OSI the system would recognise which route you took ( non
Zone 1) and charge you accordingly ??!!
Looks puzzling when one considers that there is a Wembley Central -
Hackney Central "alternative route" Off Peak fare for £1.10
( £1.30) ??
Old December 10th 09, 10:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 10 Dec, 17:35, wrote:
In article
,

(MIG) wrote:
Maybe you're right. I suppose it's the routes we know. I always
thought the route from the main station to Hungerford Bridge was
badly messed about when walkways were added and removed or blocked
over the *years.

It has been messed about, but I think it's pretty good now.

You mean they've reopened the route through the Shell building?

Ah, no (as far as I know), but that's more a route from Jubilee
Gardens whotnot.

I was thinking straight down the northeastern side of Hungerford
Bridge and down some steps and come out opposite the pedestrian
crossings and into Waterloo.

Oh, right. Up and down steps quite a bit, but that's inevitable, I suppose.

Well, there's an escalator part of the way (from Waterloo concourse).
The entrance from Sandall Street is a huge staircase all the way, from
the same initial street level.
Old December 11th 09, 06:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:34:43 -0600,
wrote:

Not between Putney and East Putney, I see.

An interesting point - are any existing NR tickets routed via that
interchange? * Richmond to Wimbledon?

I only mentioned it because it's been raised here and Putney is my home
town. I think I said at the time I couldn't see what plausible routes
would use it.

No sign of Warren Street - Euston Square either, and there are plenty
of plausible routes that would use that one.

Waterloo East (NR) - Embankment (LU) (30)
Waterloo *(NR) - Embankment (LU) (25)

A reasonable OSI for NR to Embankment I suppose, but why is less time
allowed from the main station than the slightly closer Waterloo East?

I think I'd argue that Waterloo East is actually slightly further
away.

More importantly, the main, and sometimes only, route to Waterloo East
is to go through Waterloo first. It's the walking route that matters;
not the crowfly distance.

I thought there was a route via Waterloo Road (past the Wellington)?
That's the on I thought might be shorter. There's not much in it either
way, hence my surprise at there being a difference.

Look at it this way - if you leave Waterloo by the war memorial exit
(near platform 19), you come out next to the viaduct between Waterloo
East and Charing Cross (i.e. you're closer to Charing Cross than
Waterloo East is).

There's also a very long staircase to negotiate if you leave Waterloo
East by its street exit, which adds additional walking time.

Then again, I can't see why this OSI exists at all, seeing as all
trains calling at Waterloo East go on to Charing Cross, which is a
much better interchange station for Embankment. Do trains really take
such a long time to get into CX at peak time that it's quicker to
walk?
Old December 15th 09, 09:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 9, 7:13*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 12:38:43 -0000, "Recliner"

wrote:
I was agreeably surprised to discover yesterday that the Kings Cross St
Pancras LU station remain an OSI, even though it's no longer necessary.
I went to have a look at the new northern ticket office, exiting from
one of the old LU gatelines and re-entering a few minutes later via the
new northern gateline. My Oyster fare to the station was zeroed out as
it's treated as an OSI, even though I could have changed LU lines
without passing any gatelines.

Well it has to remain an OSI because PAYG is valid on GN services to
Finsbury Park and PAYG is valid on FCC to West Hampstead and south to
Elephant and LOB. As these parts of the Kings Cross complex have
separate gatelines then the LU site has to remain a OSI too.

I've not been back since the weekend, but there were signs up last
week warning that, from Sunday, access to the Northern Line platforms
would only be via the new ticket hall, while the MIP lifts were
installed.