Old January 19th 10, 02:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Fox Under A Train

On 19 Jan, 15:31, "Richard J." wrote:
MIG wrote on 19 January 2010 07:37:29 ...

On 18 Jan, 23:39, "Richard J." wrote:
MIG wrote on 18 January 2010 21:27:23 ....
On 18 Jan, 19:53, "Richard J." wrote:
wrote on 18 January 2010 16:55:35 ...
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:36:57 +0000
Bruce wrote:
They probably make a snap judgment to emigrate having been driven
around the bend by chronic moaners like you!
You are the very definition of a "Whinging Pom". ;-)
Whinging is complaining about stuff you just don't happen to like. Thats
different to complaining about a ****ty service you pay through the nose
for. I doubt many aussies would put up with the same kind of **** train
service we get in this country.
Some comments on the London Tube on a TripAdvisor thread last month:
"The most efficient transport system I've had anything to do with"
"not one delay, not one closure ever.........so I am in awe of the tube !"
* * - both from Aussies!
That would count for something if there were never any delays or
closures.
In this case, it just makes them an unreliable witness. *Best not to
put them on the stand.
Unreliable? Why? It's their opinion based on probably more journeys than
Boltar manages to do, and since he only travels by tube in inclement
weather when both road and rail performance will be worse than average,
it's his evidence that is unreliable.

And, based on it, do you agree that there are never any delays or
closures?

No, of course not. *But it's worth remembering that people can spend a
week in London and be impressed by the transport system.

One doesn't have to take Boltar's tone to observe that such things are
frequent.

I look at the service updates right now and see

Circle Suspended
*District Severe delays
*H'Smith & City Part suspended
Metropolitan Part suspended

I think you'll find that all of those were caused by a single incident
requiring emergency engineering work in the Aldgate area. *Personally
I'm impressed by the number of times I see "good service" on all lines,
much more common than it was a couple of years ago, I would think.

I only went to the site to look for weekend closures, and there it was
with present disruptions.

The site only shows things that TfL thinks worth reporting. London
Bridge being closed off yesterday when I tried it and having to go
back to Borough in order to get in, for example, wouldn't get a
mention.

I am really just saying that "the most efficient system I have ever
seen" is a useful supporting statement to argue for the system's
efficiency, relative to what it might be. "not one delay, not one
closure ever" is not helpful, because it's instantly discredited by
experience and just seems mad or blind. Use of the word "ever"
implies length of experience, not just one short holiday where it went
well when used.

I also see that at the weekend, EIGHT lines will have at least partial
closures.

The witness may only commute between Theydon Bois and Epping one
Monday morning per month and never see such things, but the evidence
is unrepresentative.

Yes, the foxes can get out of the way more easily there.

--
Richard J.
(to email me, swap 'uk' and 'yon' in address)- Hide quoted text -

Old January 19th 10, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 06:09:19 -0800 (PST), Paul
wrote:
Wasn't there a fox photographed at Walthamstow Central recently? Even
so I can't see how what one would be doing in the vicinity of Warren
Street tube station.

At Warren Street?

More likely to be a rabbit. ;-)

Now I come to think of it, I have that aha/eureka feeling. What more could a
fox want than to get into a Warren? Like a dog in a sausage factory or a pig
in swill G. Hence fox on the tracks near Warren St.

DW downunder

Old January 19th 10, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
Wasn't there a fox photographed at Walthamstow Central recently? Even
so I can't see how what one would be doing in the vicinity of Warren
Street tube station.

At Warren Street?

More likely to be a rabbit. ;-)

Now I come to think of it, I have that aha/eureka feeling. What more could a
fox want than to get into a Warren? Like a dog in a sausage factory or a pig
in swill G. Hence fox on the tracks near Warren St.

DW downunder

More likely to get a rabbit trapped at Snaresbrook.
Old January 19th 10, 06:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 17:16:10 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

If London is so unattractive to Australians ...

.... why are so many of them over here?

How should I know, go ask one of them. I never understood the appeal of moving
10,000 miles from friends and family.

Perhaps they had friends like you.

G.harman
Old January 20th 10, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 05:37:27AM -0800, MIG wrote:
On 19 Jan, 13:22, David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 04:08:02AM -0800, Paul wrote:
How could a fox get on to the sub surface section of the track?

By walking.

Is there still a large, vacant site just over Euston Road where
something was demolished?

More likely it entered the station than walked along the track.

And how do foxes enter stations? On hang-gliders?

--
David Cantrell | Enforcer, South London Linguistic Massive

It's my experience that neither users nor customers can articulate
what it is they want, nor can they evaluate it when they see it
-- Alan Cooper

Old January 20th 10, 10:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
k...
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 05:37:27AM -0800, MIG wrote:
On 19 Jan, 13:22, David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 04:08:02AM -0800, Paul wrote:
How could a fox get on to the sub surface section of the track?
By walking.

Is there still a large, vacant site just over Euston Road where
something was demolished?

More likely it entered the station than walked along the track.

And how do foxes enter stations? On hang-gliders?

--
David Cantrell | Enforcer, South London Linguistic Massive

It's my experience that neither users nor customers can articulate
what it is they want, nor can they evaluate it when they see it
-- Alan Cooper

Did you say "flying fox"? G

DW downunder

Old January 20th 10, 12:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 20 Jan, 11:02, David Cantrell wrote:
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 05:37:27AM -0800, MIG wrote:
On 19 Jan, 13:22, David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 04:08:02AM -0800, Paul wrote:
How could a fox get on to the sub surface section of the track?
By walking.

Is there still a large, vacant site just over Euston Road where
something was demolished?

More likely it entered the station than walked along the track.

And how do foxes enter stations? On hang-gliders?

I really don't understand the question. Warren Street station isn't
in the sky.
Old January 20th 10, 01:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bruce wrote:
[...]

Boltar is one of the few people in this newsgroup with the
intelligence and common sense to hate TfL and everything and everyone
connected with it. I'd trust his evidence over that of some worthless
TfL-apologists any day, no matter what country they just happen to
come from.
Old January 20th 10, 02:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 06:46:52 -0800 (PST)
solar penguin wrote:
Boltar is one of the few people in this newsgroup with the
intelligence and common sense to hate TfL and everything and everyone
connected with it. I'd trust his evidence over that of some worthless
TfL-apologists any day, no matter what country they just happen to
come from.

Cheque's in the post

B2003

Old January 20th 10, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
k...
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 05:37:27AM -0800, MIG wrote:
On 19 Jan, 13:22, David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 04:08:02AM -0800, Paul wrote:
How could a fox get on to the sub surface section of the track?
By walking.

Is there still a large, vacant site just over Euston Road where
something was demolished?

More likely it entered the station than walked along the track.

And how do foxes enter stations? On hang-gliders?

They take the escalator, of course.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...escalator.html

Peter Smyth