Old January 29th 10, 11:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.railway

Default Conflict of Oyster Cards

Matthew Geier wrote

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 06:31:42 -0800, ticketyboo wrote:

- But, if more than one of those cards collects enough power to

operate,
the terminal then has to use the anti-collision mechanism specified

by
the standard (ISO 14443 in the case of Oyster and bank payment

cards -
and also for ITSO cards) in order to identify all the operating

cards,
send the ones that it doesn't want to communicate with to sleep,

and
then carry out its transaction.

My experience with having a (new) Singapore CEPAS ezlink in my

wallet is
an Oyster terminal says 'multiple cards presented' and then won't
continue until you remove the other cards from it's field so it only

sees
one.

And the Singapore card has a better antenna - I discovered that the

LU
gates were still getting upset - I had removed my oyster from my

wallet
and was placing it on the reader to open the gates - but as I walked
through the gates beeped. It dawned on me later, the Oyster pad must

have
been getting a response from the Singapore CEPAS card as I walked

through
the gate - at range of over 20cm between my hip pocket and the Oyster

reader pad. (The Oyster card being my my hand or back in my shirt

pocket
by this stage).

obviously you should wrap the Singapore card in tinfoil - err aluminium
foil - like an RFID passport.

But if you want hands-free entrance to your office block and the
anti-collision mechanism isn't implemented properly a lot of card
shuffling is going to have to take place.

--
Mike D

Old January 30th 10, 12:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.railway

On 29/01/2010 14:31, ticketyboo wrote:
And the terminal does not implement the anti-collision function...

Yikes, I expect it would cost a fair amount to replace all those
readers, which they will have to do when more and more people are
carrying cards with rfid in them (apart from oyster).

Old January 30th 10, 06:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.railway

On Jan 29, 5:00*pm, Stephen Furley wrote:
On 29 Jan, 14:31, ticketyboo wrote:

And the terminal does not implement the anti-collision function...

I have a Smartlink (similar to Oyster) card for PATH in New Jersey.
It works fine with my Oyster card next to it, but the Oyster will
never read unless I take the Smartlink card away. *Not too much of a
problem in this case, since I'm seldom going to want to use both on
the same day, but it could be a real problem as these cards become
more common if you need to carry several around with you, and they
interfere with each other. *Clearly they don't have to do this, as the
Smartlink readers will quite happily ignore the Oyster card.

Which further suggests that indeed today Oyster does not implement the
anti-collision function. Maybe the next generation of Oyster terminals
will do that - they have to be rather more powerful, in order to be
able to handle all of the ITSO card types (about 4 in truth) as well
as Oyster and contactless bank payment).
Old January 30th 10, 06:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.railway

On Jan 29, 8:23*pm, Matthew Geier
wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 02:44:17 -0800, CJB wrote:
embarrasment. The culprit was the Hillingdon Community Services card -
which seems to use the same technology as Oyster and was causing a
confict. An irritation 'cos now I have to keep them in separated.

*This is going to start happening more and more as various other
organisations start using non contact smart cards.

*The people who make the 'access control' system at my work have said
they want to replace the mag-strip readers with MiFare Classic readers
and replace all our cards. Oyster is Mifare Class - so the door reader at
work will one day cause any near by Oyster card to respond as well as the
'proper' access card, with the system probably objecting when it gets

The access control suppliers really should move on beyond Mifare
Classic for new smart card installations. OK, the simple hack of
access control systems has attacked those that do not even use the
security functions available with Mifare Classic (they attack schemes
that only read the card serial number), but attackers quickly learn
more. Access control should use Mifare DESFire and AES encryption now,
with provision for Mifare Plus (also in its AES version) later
(because Mifare Plus cards will cost less).
Old January 30th 10, 06:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.railway

On Jan 29, 11:53*pm, David E Newton wrote:
martin wrote:
On Jan 29, 10:44 am, CJB wrote:
Recently I obtained a Hillingdon Community Services card which doubles
as a Library user's card. And put it into the same card wallet as my
Oyster card - in which I also keep my bank card. Suddently my Oyster
card stopped working on trains and buses, and even the Heathrow
Connect portable validators wouldn't recognise it - to considerable
embarrasment. The culprit was the Hillingdon Community Services card -
which seems to use the same technology as Oyster and was causing a
confict. An irritation 'cos now I have to keep them in separated. CJB.

A former colleague had similar trouble with his Oyster card and his
season ticket for a football club - Fulham, IIRC.
I think this problem's only going to become more prevalent over the
next few years.

I keep my Oyster and my work pass together. My work barriers can cope
fine with them together, but TFL barriers can't and I have to separate them.

Is my work too lenient or is TFL too strict?

Paraphrasing my comment on an earlier post, Oyster is too simple.

Old January 30th 10, 06:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.railway

On Jan 30, 1:38*am, Chris Hills wrote:
On 29/01/2010 14:31, ticketyboo wrote:

And the terminal does not implement the anti-collision function...

Yikes, I expect it would cost a fair amount to replace all those
readers, which they will have to do when more and more people are
carrying cards with rfid in them (apart from oyster).

*signature.asc
1KViewDownload

Part of the investment coming about as a result of TfL breaking the
Transys contract at its breakpoint this year is that new investment is
triggered (including some DfT money), which is how all the readers and
embedded controllers in the gates and buses will be upgraded to handle
ITSO and contactless bank payment as well as Oyster.
Old January 30th 10, 08:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.railway

On 30.01.10 7:22, ticketyboo wrote:
On Jan 29, 5:00 pm, Stephen wrote:
On 29 Jan, 14:31, wrote:

[...]

Are there indeed plans for new oyster readers? I imagine that they would
not look any different from an external point of view.
Old January 30th 10, 08:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.railway

I wonder if TfL will eventually get rid of the magnetic strip tickets in
favour of disposable SmartCards for single journeys or infrequent trips?
Old January 30th 10, 08:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.railway

And if you bothered to read the user information when you got the
oyster card it tells to do EXACTLY that - keep it away from other
cards.

Oh - so that's all right then. Thank goodness the customer is at fault for
having only one wallet.

--
Peter 'Prof' Fox
Multitude of things for beer, cycling, Morris and curiosities at

Old January 30th 10, 09:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport,uk.railway

In message
,
ticketyboo writes

The access control suppliers really should move on beyond Mifare
Classic for new smart card installations. OK, the simple hack of
access control systems has attacked those that do not even use the
security functions available with Mifare Classic (they attack schemes
that only read the card serial number), but attackers quickly learn
more. Access control should use Mifare DESFire and AES encryption now,
with provision for Mifare Plus (also in its AES version) later
(because Mifare Plus cards will cost less).

The new Freedom Passes currently being issued use the Desfire 4K
chipset, in order to allow for future ITSO compatability. I gather that
Oyster readers were upgraded to read the new Desfire chip at the end of
last year.

--
Paul Terry