Old January 29th 10, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Same Destination, Opposite Direction

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:09:44 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:55:15 +0000
John Ray wrote:
I was on a number 17 bus the other day, destination Archway. As we
passed by St. Paul's Cathedral a number 4 bus, also destination Archway,
was heading in the opposite direction. I wonder how many other places
are there where one can catch a bus to the same destination from either
side of the road?

There are probably a few bus routes that do circular trips around housing
estates or hospital grounds before continuing on their way. Can't think
of any offhand in london though. Theres a few routes down in Redhill that
do it however.

Others have hinted at them but the H9/H10 and H18/H19 in Harrow are
circulars and simply show Harrow as the destination so at any point on
their routes there is the chance of seeing a bus to Harrow going in
opposite directions. There must also be overlaps with other buses that
reach Harrow which can create the same issue.

The R5 and R10 in Orpington will offer a similar puzzle in and around
Halstead and Cudham.

I'd also imagine the roads in and out of Woolwich also offer some
opportunity for buses to be going to the same place but in opposite
directions.

A zone 1 example, but only on a tiny stretch of road, is the Heritage 15
going to Tower Hill eastbound at Aldwych just meeting the RV1 going to
Tower Gateway as it just approaches the north end of Waterloo Bridge. As
I said a tiny overlap!

Of course it is possible to get the same bus, going to the same destination
from bus stops on opposite sides of the road to one another, and the bus is
not a circular... Anyone know which?
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Old January 30th 10, 03:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Ray wrote:

Thanks - I hadn't thought of that possibility. I was thinking more of
two different services running, at one point on their routes, in
opposite directions but terminating at the same place.

Between Swiss Cottage and the O2 Centre, the 13 terminating at Golders Green
runs northward and the 268 terminating at Golders Green runs southward.

In New Southgate Station Road, the 221 terminating at Turnpike Lane runs
eastward and the 232 terminating at Turnpike Lane runs westward.

At Crouch End Broadway the 41 terminating at Archway runs southward and the
W5 terminating at Archway runs northward.

Heath Road in Twickenham has the 281 terminating at Hounslow running
eastward and the 110 terminating at Hounslow running westward.

I found those in about ten minutes. I imagine there are dozens or even
hundreds of examples.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old January 30th 10, 03:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:24:20 GMT, "Steve Dulieu"
wrote:

Of course it is possible to get the same bus, going to the same
destination from bus stops on opposite sides of the road to one
another, and the bus is not a circular... Anyone know which?

Now it couldn't possibly be the 251 or 298 at Arnos Grove could it?

Good call. I had considered the 89 in Northend Road, Slade Green, but a
quick Streetview suggests that both the part which is used twice towards
Slade Green and the part which is used twice on the way back have bus stops
on only one side.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old January 30th 10, 08:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:

Of course it is possible to get the same bus, going to the same
destination from bus stops on opposite sides of the road to one
another, and the bus is not a circular... Anyone know which?

Now it couldn't possibly be the 251 or 298 at Arnos Grove could it?

Good call. I had considered the 89 in Northend Road, Slade Green, but a
quick Streetview suggests that both the part which is used twice towards
Slade Green and the part which is used twice on the way back have bus stops
on only one side.

There could be a good reason to have stops on both sides, and I've got
a feeling there are. It's not an easy road to cross, and there are
two stretches that are only used by buses with one destination, but in
both directions.

(To explain to anyone not familiar, the route has to cross a barriered
dual carriageway, and it does it by going to a roundabout and back in
both directions.)

Old January 30th 10, 09:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2010-01-30 04:18:57 +0000, "Basil Jet"
said:

I found those in about ten minutes. I imagine there are dozens or even
hundreds of examples.

Yes. The one that immediately sprang to my mind was Southbury Road,
Enfield, where a westbound 121 and an eastbound 231 both go to Turnpike
Lane Stn.

Old January 30th 10, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

wrote:

Of course it is possible to get the same bus, going to the same
destination from bus stops on opposite sides of the road to one
another, and the bus is not a circular... Anyone know which?

Now it couldn't possibly be the 251 or 298 at Arnos Grove could it?

Do you know, I'd forgotten about those myself, how embarrasing...

Good call. I had considered the 89 in Northend Road, Slade Green, but a
quick Streetview suggests that both the part which is used twice towards
Slade Green and the part which is used twice on the way back have bus
stops
on only one side.

Well given where Mr Dulieu works it was a tad obvious - assuming I'm
right, of course.

In actual fact, I was thinking of the 154, comes off stand at Morden and
calls at stop "C" then runs down London Road to the roundabout, back up
London Road and calls at stop "G" which is as near to bang opposite "C" as
makes no odds, then off to West Croydon.

Old February 2nd 10, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 14:09:03 -0000, Steve Dulieu
wrote:

In actual fact, I was thinking of the 154, comes off stand at Morden and
calls at stop "C" then runs down London Road to the roundabout, back up
London Road and calls at stop "G" which is as near to bang opposite "C"
as makes no odds, then off to West Croydon.

And then there's the 224 in Park Royal, which does a double run from Abbey
Road to Iveagh Avenue and back in both directions. There's only one stop
in Iveagh Avenue, but there are two on Twyford Abbey Road, one on each
side. So you can reach anywhere on the route, and return, without crossing
Twyford Abbey Road.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.
Old February 7th 10, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Ray wrote:
I was on a number 17 bus the other day, destination Archway. As we
passed by St. Paul's Cathedral a number 4 bus, also destination Archway,
was heading in the opposite direction. I wonder how many other places
are there where one can catch a bus to the same destination from either
side of the road?

Southbury Road in Enfield:

121 from Island Village westwards through to Turnpike Lane
231 from Little Park Gardens eastwards to Turnpike Lane

--
Phil Richards, London, UK
3,600+ railway photos since 1980 at:
Old February 7th 10, 10:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2010-02-07 18:19:49 +0000, Phil Richards said:

John Ray wrote:
I was on a number 17 bus the other day, destination Archway. As we
passed by St. Paul's Cathedral a number 4 bus, also destination
Archway, was heading in the opposite direction. I wonder how many
other places are there where one can catch a bus to the same
destination from either side of the road?

Southbury Road in Enfield:

121 from Island Village westwards through to Turnpike Lane
231 from Little Park Gardens eastwards to Turnpike Lane

I said that on jan 30th!

Terminating in a through platform then returning "wrong direction" [email protected] London Transport 16 June 18th 10 10:37 PM
Rail symbol on tram destination blinds Alan \(in Brussels\) London Transport 46 May 15th 05 04:37 PM
Electronic bus destination blinds Mrs Redboots London Transport 31 November 19th 04 06:40 AM
Tube direction Ruud London Transport 16 February 28th 04 10:10 PM
London Bus Destination Displays Sharon & Gordon Thomson London Transport 1 January 14th 04 09:21 PM