Old January 30th 10, 05:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Long DLR Train

In message , Basil Jet
writes

I suppose what I'm really asking is whether the heavy rail standard still
has any virtues.

I think a DLR set might struggle trying to reach 140mph on a run down to
Ashford.
--
Paul Terry

Old January 30th 10, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 30 Jan, 18:30, Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Basil Jet
writes

I suppose what I'm really asking is whether the heavy rail standard still
has any virtues.

I think a DLR set might struggle trying to reach 140mph on a run down to
Ashford. *

As would the majority of heavy rail I should think. But is it more to
do with what else might hit you on the line?
Old January 30th 10, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
"MIG" wrote in message

This morning I've seen a three-unit train running on the DLR, with the
designation "Special", in between other services.

(Am I the only one having trouble perceiving the "articulated
vehicles" as anything other than units of two coaches?)

Like any other articulated vehicles (particularly trams), the short
coaches share a bogey. The only mainline trains with this configuration in
the UK are Eurostars, but they're quite common elsewhere.

Never a good idea to write 'only'. Someone is bound to come along and point
out that Tyne & Wear Metro units are articulated, and operate on main lines.

Paul S

Old January 30th 10, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 30, 7:39*pm, MIG wrote:

On 30 Jan, 18:30, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Basil Jet
writes

I suppose what I'm really asking is whether the heavy rail standard still
has any virtues.

I think a DLR set might struggle trying to reach 140mph on a run down to
Ashford. *

As would the majority of heavy rail I should think. *But is it more to
do with what else might hit you on the line?

Freight trains on the mainline versus forgotten tools on the DLR?
Old January 31st 10, 06:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
"MIG" wrote in message

This morning I've seen a three-unit train running on the DLR, with the
designation "Special", in between other services.

(Am I the only one having trouble perceiving the "articulated
vehicles" as anything other than units of two coaches?)

Like any other articulated vehicles (particularly trams), the short
coaches share a bogey. The only mainline trains with this configuration in
the UK are Eurostars, but they're quite common elsewhere.

The diagrams and photos I have seen seem to me to show 2 car bodies and 4
bogies per unit. Was I looking at the wrong images?

DW downunder

Old January 31st 10, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 31 Jan, 07:34, "DW downunder" noname wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message

"MIG" wrote in message

This morning I've seen a three-unit train running on the DLR, with the
designation "Special", in between other services.

(Am I the only one having trouble perceiving the "articulated
vehicles" as anything other than units of two coaches?)

Like any other articulated vehicles (particularly trams), the short
coaches share a bogey. The only mainline trains with this configuration in
the UK are Eurostars, but they're quite common elsewhere.

The diagrams and photos I have seen seem to me to show 2 car bodies and 4
bogies per unit. Was I looking at the wrong images?

DW downunder

If you mean diagrams like this one
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._New_Train.PNG
then it would indeed appear to be wrong. Maybe the wheels were added
as an afterthought?
Old January 31st 10, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message

"MIG" wrote in message

This morning I've seen a three-unit train running on the DLR, with
the designation "Special", in between other services.

(Am I the only one having trouble perceiving the "articulated
vehicles" as anything other than units of two coaches?)

Like any other articulated vehicles (particularly trams), the short
coaches share a bogey. The only mainline trains with this
configuration in the UK are Eurostars, but they're quite common
elsewhere.

The diagrams and photos I have seen seem to me to show 2 car bodies
and 4 bogies per unit. Was I looking at the wrong images?

DW downunder

If you mean diagrams like this one
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._New_Train.PNG
then it would indeed appear to be wrong. Maybe the wheels were added
as an afterthought?

It's obvious that the artist got carried away. This is a more accurate
drawing of the current stock:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/d...LUEREDORIG.jpg

The problem seems to be that it's hard to find pics of DLR vehicles with
visible wheels -- they're usually behind a platform or the current rail.
But this photo gives some impression of the centre articulated bogie:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2477273...57605340322709

Old January 31st 10, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 31 Jan, 10:51, "Recliner" wrote:
"MIG" wrote in message

On 31 Jan, 07:34, "DW downunder" noname wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message

.. .

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...20080224151715!...
then it would indeed appear to be wrong. *Maybe the wheels were added
as an afterthought?

It's obvious that the artist got carried away. This is a more accurate
drawing of the current stock:http://media.photobucket.com/image/d...pictures/astoc...

Except that the scale is all wrong, with tiny bogies entirely below
the skirts. It's the skirts that are the main problem, because only
the bottom of the wheels is visible below the skirts that cover the
bogies.

One can only assume that they are attached to bogies, but there are
definitely six axles per unit.

At a glance, the wheels either side of the bendy bit seem quite far
apart for a single bogie, but no further apart than the pairs at the
outer ends. I think it's probably an illusion caused by the smallness
of the wheels.
Old January 31st 10, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

"MIG" wrote in message

On 31 Jan, 07:34, "DW downunder" noname wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message

.. .

"MIG" wrote in message

[...]

Actually I could be confused. I think the new units (supposedly
illustrated in the diagrams) have longer bogies, or possibly just a
longer middle bogie.
Old January 31st 10, 01:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

"MIG" wrote in message

On 31 Jan, 07:34, "DW downunder" noname wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message

.. .

"MIG" wrote in message

[...]

Sigh ... I meant supposedly illustrated in the diagram I found, not
the one you found of the earlier kind.