Old January 10th 04, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Old tube map

I've an old A-Z someone gave me, interesting to checking out changes to streets
and whether my memory is right, but I've also recently looked at the tube map
in it, different in the way some lines are drawn but also with some differences
in content.
I recognised the old South Acton spur, and Trafalgar Square, and what is now
the Heathrow section of the Picadilly Line then stopped at Hounslow West. Some
other bits were less familiar, and as the map is only black-and-white, its not
clear whether they were all tube lines. I think I remember the Bakerloo Line
doubling with BR as far as Watford Junction, but did the Met through Amersham
continue as far as Aylesbury? Another interesting bit is between Old Street and
Finsbury Park, with stations shown at Essex Road, Highbury and Islington and
Drayton Park.
Anybody have more info on these? And as the A-Z does not have a date of
publication, could anyone make a rough stab

Old January 10th 04, 11:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

CharlesPottins wrote:
[...]

One way to date the map that you have is to compare it with the maps at The
London Tube Map Archive at http://www.sitehouse.net/cdl/maps.html.

The Met went as far as Aylesbury until 1961.

For the history of the line from Moorgate to Finsbury Park, originally the
Great Northern and City Railway, see
http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/northern.html#GNCR in Clive Feather's site.
--
Richard J.

Old January 11th 04, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Nigel ), in
message who said:
On 10 Jan 2004 23:58:20 GMT,
(CharlesPottins)
wrote:

[...]

Probably Pre 1958

Indeed, as South Acton closed about 1959.

If the map has White City on the Central Line (as opposed to Wood Lane) then
it's post-1947. If Tooting Bec is no longer called Trinity Road, then it's
post-1950.

BTN

Old January 11th 04, 04:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"CharlesPottins" wrote in message

snip
Anybody have more info on these? And as the A-Z does not have a date of
publication, could anyone make a rough stab

Is the price in shillings and pence, or decimal? I have one dual-priced
which I think is later than yours. It dates from about 1968-70.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org

Old January 11th 04, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ben Nunn" wrote in message

If the map has White City on the Central Line (as opposed
to Wood Lane) then it's post-1947. If Tooting Bec is no
longer called Trinity Road, then it's post-1950.

Since there are maps currently sold which show Aldwych station and Southwark
station as both open, you would have to correlate a lot of different bits of
evidence before you could be reasonably certain of the date of a historic
map.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old January 11th 04, 06:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Ben Nunn" wrote in message

If the map has White City on the Central Line (as opposed
to Wood Lane) then it's post-1947. If Tooting Bec is no
longer called Trinity Road, then it's post-1950.

Since there are maps currently sold which show Aldwych station and

Southwark
station as both open, you would have to correlate a lot of different bits

of
evidence before you could be reasonably certain of the date of a historic
map.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Hah Haar !

Mr. Rowland forgot ALL ABOUT Morning Crescent

Hah Haar !

Old January 11th 04, 06:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

"Ben Nunn" wrote in message

If the map has White City on the Central Line (as opposed
to Wood Lane) then it's post-1947. If Tooting Bec is no
longer called Trinity Road, then it's post-1950.

Since there are maps currently sold which show Aldwych station and

Southwark
station as both open, you would have to correlate a lot of different

bits
of
evidence before you could be reasonably certain of the date of a

historic
map.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Hah Haar !

Mr. Rowland forgot ALL ABOUT MorningTON Crescent

Hah Haar !

Old January 11th 04, 10:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london

"John of Aix" wrote in message

"Seanie O'Kilfoyle" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...

Mr. Rowland forgot ALL ABOUT MorningTON Crescent

Time you eased up on the whiskey Seanie.

It's not the whiskey JofA

It's the Hoegaarden

Where can I get the old tube map? Zingo London Transport 14 May 8th 10 03:20 PM
Banksy at Old Street Tube (Tarantino Bananas) David F London Transport 2 April 21st 07 06:48 AM
Old Tube Map CharlesPottins London Transport 0 January 11th 04 05:20 PM
Eastenders on the Map Was:Tube Map Jim Brown London Transport 7 January 10th 04 06:22 PM
photos of old/closed tube stops j London Transport 7 October 23rd 03 10:20 AM