Old February 10th 10, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Ealing Broadway to Wandsworth Road

Does anyone know if the rail replacement bus still runs twice a week
on the Ealing Broadway to Wandsworth Road route? I think I read that
rail services were going to continue from December 2009.

Old February 10th 10, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 10, 9:58*am, Offramp wrote:
Does anyone know if the rail replacement bus still runs twice a week
on the Ealing Broadway to Wandsworth Road route? I think I read that
rail services were going to continue from December 2009.

There has been a daily (weekday) 'parly' rail service that runs each
way between Wandsworth Road and Kensington Olympia since May 2009.
There's still a so-called rail-replacement bus service that runs each
way between Kensington Olympia and Ealing Broadway, only once a week
IIRC.
Old February 10th 10, 11:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 10, 12:05*pm, Mizter T wrote:
There has been a daily (weekday) 'parly' rail service that runs each
way between Wandsworth Road and Kensington Olympia since May 2009.
There's still a so-called rail-replacement bus service that runs each
way between Kensington Olympia and Ealing Broadway, only once a week
IIRC.

The bus service was running all the way between Ealing Broadway and
Wandsworth Road as recently as November 2009. I know this because I
caught it.

--
Abi
Old February 10th 10, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
cj cj is offline

On Feb 10, 9:58*am, Offramp wrote:
Does anyone know if the rail replacement bus still runs twice a week
on the Ealing Broadway to Wandsworth Road route? I think I read that
rail services were going to continue from December 2009.

A question was asked in parliament in Jan regarding this service:
http://tiny.cc/fr5ig (Hansard)
I recall (from somewhere!) that the plan is to run Wandsworth - KPA -
Ealing around 12:00, with a return back to Wandsworth just after
13:00. Not sure what stock or where it'll reverse etc!
~cj
Old March 2nd 10, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
cj cj is offline

On Feb 10, 9:51*pm, cj wrote:
On Feb 10, 9:58*am, Offramp wrote:

Does anyone know if the rail replacement bus still runs twice a week
on theEalingBroadway toWandsworthRoad route? I think I read that
rail services were going to continue from December 2009.

A question was asked in parliament in Jan regarding this service:http://tiny.cc/fr5ig(Hansard)
I recall (from somewhere!) that the plan is to runWandsworth- KPA -Ealingaround 12:00, with a return back toWandsworthjust after
13:00. Not sure what stock or where it'll reverse etc!
~cj

The services that will put the 'ghost bus' to rest have appeared in
the timetables from 24th May as follows:

10:48 Wandsworth Road
11:11 Kensington Olympia
11:13 Shepherd's Bush
11:30 Ealing Broadway

12:07 Ealing Broadway
12:29 Shepherd's Bush
12:32 Kensington Olympia
12:50 Wandsworth Road

I'm just curious as to what stock Southern will use for this service -
seems a bit of a waste to have one of their DMUs so far off normal
territory for a good few hours. Unless dual-voltage stock is possible
for the whole route - how would it get from Ealing to Shepherd's Bush?
~cj

Old March 2nd 10, 08:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

cj wrote:

I'm just curious as to what stock Southern will use for this service -
seems a bit of a waste to have one of their DMUs so far off normal
territory for a good few hours. Unless dual-voltage stock is possible
for the whole route - how would it get from Ealing to Shepherd's Bush?

It will have to be a 171 [as it isn't an electrified route] - there is a
section in the track access application that covers it:

"Southern propose to use class 171's units as standard specified equipment
to operate the Wandsworth Road to Ealing Broadway passenger train slots ...
subject to route clearance."

The unit won't be travelling too far, it would quite probably be one of
those stabled at Selhurst between the peaks...

Paul S

Old March 2nd 10, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mar 2, 10:04*pm, cj wrote:
On Feb 10, 9:51*pm, cj wrote:

[...]

Ta for the gen - what a delightfully insane service. All thanks to The
Times and belatedly Passenger Focus kicking up a stink last year. They
won and this is the, er, result.

Finding a 2.171 DMU isn't a problem - there are plenty sitting idle at
Selhurst between the peaks. Same goes for any NSE-area parly running
in the off-peak.

I expect the unit will reverse on the Greenford branch.
Old March 2nd 10, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mar 2, 9:32*pm, EE507 wrote:

11:13 Shepherd's Bush
11:30 Ealing Broadway

12:07 Ealing Broadway
12:29 Shepherd's Bush

I could do that in my lunch break ... I do work flexitime flexibly
enough to be able to do that.

I expect the unit will reverse on the Greenford branch.

Reverses at West Ealing according to ''gensheet'' and no i have not
checked a track map.

--
Nick
Old March 2nd 10, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mar 2, 9:04*pm, cj wrote:

On Feb 10, 9:51*pm, cj wrote:

[...]

Interesting, thanks for the spot. Afraid I think this whole thing is
rather ridiculous.

I posit that the letter of the law about route closures is not
actually totally clear cut, rather that it's somewhat muddled, not
least because the realities of such situations are not easy to
legislate for.

Furthermore this particular case is somewhat absurd in that the
withdrawn XC service never provided a link between Wandsworth Road,
Kensington Olympia and Ealing Broadway stations - and journeys between
those stations can be quite successfully accomplished using the
existing network.

I'm minded to think that the push by Passenger Focus et al (but
notably not London Travlwatch, AFAIAA) for a proper 'parly' service
might possibly end up having negative repercussions - whilst the quasi-
enthusiast Adonis (who's done much good, I don't doubt that) decreed
to his DfT Rail servants that a train service shall run, I'm guessing
in part because he saw that as being a legal requirement [1], I can't
help but think the new mob of Cameron, Osbourne & co. won't be too
enamoured by such profligacy - and if the advice comes back that it's
required by law, then they might just change that law, and not just
the bit about route closures - think other elements of today's
railways that enjoy legislative protection as well, e.g. regulated
fares.

-----
[1] But what of Wedgwood, Barlaston and Norton Bridge?
Old March 2nd 10, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2 Mar, 21:41, Mizter T wrote:
On Mar 2, 9:04*pm, cj wrote:

On Feb 10, 9:51*pm, cj wrote:

[...]

[1] But what of Wedgwood, Barlaston and Norton Bridge?- Hide quoted text -

You mean this Norton Bridge?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darkprince66/4395670242/

Rich

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darkprince66/