Old December 11th 05, 07:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Godalming to Ealing Broadway

When I purchased my rail ticket from Godalming to Ealing Broadway the other
day, the route I could take was "any permitted". I was musing on my way
[weekday early morning] via Waterloo / Bond Street and onto Ealing Broadway
whether an alternative that could have been used was changing at Woking onto
the Railair coach link to Heathrow Central and then the Heathrow Connect
service to Ealing Broadway. Even if permissible, I wondered if it would have
been quicker than the actual route taken. Be interesting to know the answer to
that one.

David Bradley

Old December 11th 05, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Bradley wrote:
When I purchased my rail ticket from Godalming to Ealing Broadway the
other day, the route I could take was "any permitted". I was musing
on my way [weekday early morning] via Waterloo / Bond Street and onto
Ealing Broadway whether an alternative that could have been used was
changing at Woking onto the Railair coach link to Heathrow Central
and then the Heathrow Connect service to Ealing Broadway. Even if
permissible, I wondered if it would have been quicker than the actual
route taken. Be interesting to know the answer to that one.

Almost certainly not permitted on your ticket, as the line between
Heathrow and Airport Junction (west of Hayes) is not part of the
National Rail network. It's BAA's private railway, and they charge
premium fares over it. Heathrow Connect is a joint venture between BAA
and First Great Western (or FGW Link).
--
Richard J.

Old December 12th 05, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , David Bradley
writes
When I purchased my rail ticket from Godalming to Ealing Broadway the other
day, the route I could take was "any permitted". I was musing on my way
[weekday early morning] via Waterloo / Bond Street and onto Ealing Broadway
whether an alternative that could have been used was changing at Woking onto
the Railair coach link to Heathrow Central and then the Heathrow Connect
service to Ealing Broadway. Even if permissible, I wondered if it would have
been quicker than the actual route taken. Be interesting to know the answer to
that one.

You might also want to look at Waterloo-Paddington-Ealing Broadway. P-
EB is under 10 minutes.
--
Thoss
Old December 12th 05, 11:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:36:47 +0000, thoss wrote:

In article , David Bradley
writes
When I purchased my rail ticket from Godalming to Ealing Broadway the other
day, the route I could take was "any permitted". I was musing on my way
[weekday early morning] via Waterloo / Bond Street and onto Ealing Broadway
whether an alternative that could have been used was changing at Woking onto
the Railair coach link to Heathrow Central and then the Heathrow Connect
service to Ealing Broadway. Even if permissible, I wondered if it would have
been quicker than the actual route taken. Be interesting to know the answer to
that one.

You might also want to look at Waterloo-Paddington-Ealing Broadway. P-
EB is under 10 minutes.

That was the route that I took on a previous journey but found the walk
between the Underground and Surface lines at Paddington to be very long [a
mile perhaps?]

Has anyone the fare between Ealing Broadway and Heathrow Central; I am still
intrigued with the route via Heathrow and wanted to see if it would be cheaper
than trvelling via central London.

David Bradley

Old December 12th 05, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , David Bradley
writes
[...]

Not when I do it. Up the escalator from the tube platform, through the
barrier, turn left down a short tunnel, up a short flight of steps and
you are at the head of Paddingon platform 12. Ealing trains usually
leave from platforms 11-14.

Make sure you leave the tube through the barrier at the head of the
escalator. Don't turn right before the barrier - that is the long way
round.

--
Thoss

Old December 12th 05, 06:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"thoss" wrote in message
In article , David Bradley
writes
[...]

Quite correct, but even the long way around adds no more than 200 yards. I
think to walk a mile you need to get off at Edgware Road...

Michael

Old December 13th 05, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , David Bradley
writes
That was the route that I took on a previous journey but found the walk
between the Underground and Surface lines at Paddington to be very long [a
mile perhaps?]

The Hammersmith & City platforms (15 & 16, next to 14 in the main line
station) are about 350 metres as the mole digs from the Circle Line
platforms. The Bakerloo ones are intermediate, though nearer the former.
Of course, the passageways aren't dead straight, but you'd be trouble
getting the whole trip to a quarter of a mile.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old December 13th 05, 04:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:11:07 +0000, David Bradley
wrote:

That was the route that I took on a previous journey but found the walk
between the Underground and Surface lines at Paddington to be very long [a
mile perhaps?]

It can be a bit of a trek. But a mile would get you to Regent's Park
or Knightsbridge :-)
Old December 13th 05, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I know it can't be, but it always seems much farther along the subway
from the Circle Line platforms to the mainline station than coming out
of the ?Praed Street exit, crossing the road and going down the right
side entrance.

Old December 14th 05, 12:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David Bradley wrote:

Has anyone the fare between Ealing Broadway and Heathrow Central; I
am still intrigued with the route via Heathrow and wanted to see if
it would be cheaper than trvelling via central London.

Ealing Broadway to Heathrow Central by Heathrow Connect costs £8.80
according to www.heathrowconnect.com . National railcard discounts
apply.

Travelcards valid for zones 3-5 are valid between Ealing Broadway and
Hayes & Harlington. The fare from Hayes to Heathrow is £6.00.

--
Richard J.