Old February 12th 10, 02:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Exits at Kings Cross St Pancras not being recorded

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 06:22:41 -0800 (PST),
Mizter T wrote:

Agreed. I haven't yet come across a case of a gate opening when an
Oyster card is presented without the touch-in or touch-out
registering.

This happened to my girlfriend the very first time she used Oyster
(Actually it was the second time she used it as it was the exit of her
very first journey from Euston to Watford Junction). I'm 100% certain
she used the card correctly because I'd explained it just before we got
to the gateline. I also watched her walk up to the barrier. Touch her
card. Gates opened. She walked through with a big smile on her face
saying "He he. It works!"

(I was watching particularly closely because the next day she would be
using the card to go to Hatch End where there aren't barriers so she had
to remember to touch out or incur a maximum fare.)

(The next day she told me the balance on her card didn't seem right when
she went back in at Watford Junction and she'd been overcharged for her
first journey. I didn't believe her until a couple of days later when we
were in London and could check the journey history and see that the
first journey was incomplete.

I also think I had one touch that didn't register. I don't believe that
I went through on someone elses ticket by mistake but I suppose I could
have done. I'm usually travelling with a bicycle and use the manual
gates and I don't think I've had any problems there (once when the
Watford Junction manual gate had been broken for a couple of days I'd
got into the habit of touching out in the subway. When the gate was
repaired I "touched out" again at the manual gate which registered as an
entry but I spotted that straight away.)

Tim.

and there was light.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/
Old February 14th 10, 09:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

Agreed. I haven't yet come across a case of a gate opening when an
Oyster card is presented without the touch-in or touch-out
registering.

This happened to my girlfriend the very first time she used Oyster
(Actually it was the second time she used it as it was the exit of her
very first journey from Euston to Watford Junction).

It also happened to me once, at Amersham. It just confirmed my
suspicions that Oyster is at best a useless white elephant, and at
worst a force for evil.