Old February 12th 10, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Exits at Kings Cross St Pancras not being recorded

Twice now I have touched-out at Kings Cross St Pancras station on my way
to St Pancras International train station. On both occasions, the "Exit"
has not been recorded on my Oyster account, and I have been overcharged.

I know I touched out, because I managed to get through the barriers, so
how come it didn't register?

Old February 12th 10, 12:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Recliner wrote:

"Tim Fardell" wrote in
message

Twice now I have touched-out at Kings Cross St Pancras station on my
way to St Pancras International train station. On both occasions, the
"Exit" has not been recorded on my Oyster account, and I have been
overcharged.

I know I touched out, because I managed to get through the barriers,
so how come it didn't register?

Another OSI query?

Don't know. My Oyster journey was ending at Kings Cross tube. Onward
journey was via Rail with a traditional paper ticket.

I touched out of the Tube station on Oyster, but did not actually exit to
the outside world.

Old February 12th 10, 12:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tim Fardell" wrote in
message

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Recliner wrote:

"Tim Fardell" wrote in
message

Twice now I have touched-out at Kings Cross St Pancras station on my
way to St Pancras International train station. On both occasions,
the "Exit" has not been recorded on my Oyster account, and I have
been overcharged.

I know I touched out, because I managed to get through the barriers,
so how come it didn't register?

Another OSI query?

Don't know. My Oyster journey was ending at Kings Cross tube. Onward
journey was via Rail with a traditional paper ticket.

I touched out of the Tube station on Oyster, but did not actually
exit to the outside world.

Ah, OSI shouldn't come into effect, unless your Oyster card was detected
when you entered the rail platform.

How do you know your Tube station exit wasn't picked up? The on-line
Web pages aften have gaps, but ticket machines will show you the full
history. So, even though the history shown online may be incomplete, you
won't necessarily have been overcharged.

Old February 12th 10, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 12, 1:26*pm, "Recliner" wrote:

"Tim Fardell" wrote:

Twice now I have touched-out at Kings Cross St Pancras station on my
way to St Pancras International train station. On both occasions, the
"Exit" has not been recorded on my Oyster account, and I have been
overcharged.

I know I touched out, because I managed to get through the barriers,
so how come it didn't register?

Another OSI query?

No - when you touch-out at a station where there's an OSI set-up, that
is still recorded as an exit n the system. If one were to check the
journey history on a Tube ticket machine, it would show the journey as
being complete (e.g. Oxford Circus - KXSP).

I think your explanation downthread is *by far* the most likely - the
online journey history simply hasn't caught up yet.

Old February 12th 10, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

[...]

Ah-ha! I think you're right - it's just that the 'Exit' events have not
shown up on the Web history. I spoke to the Oyster helpline, and they said
they can see that both journeys were completed correctly and I have not
been overcharged.

He's sending me a full statement to confirm it, but it certainly sounds
like the Web history is just missing the exit events.

At least I now know not to trust the journey history on the web. Thanks
:-)

Old February 12th 10, 01:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tim Fardell" wrote:
[...]

Agreed. I haven't yet come across a case of a gate opening when an
Oyster card is presented without the touch-in or touch-out
registering.

(I have seen someone unwittingly walk through on someone else's ticket
- she was a teenager and her card didn't work because she didn't have
enough PAYG credit (I saw the error code) - but the in-a-world-of-her-
own elderly pensioner lady behind her continued shuffling forward
oblivious to this, touched-in with her Freedom Pass and let the
youngster through. The girl seemed completely unaware that this had
happened and happily passed through the gate, the pensioner meanwhile
was nonplussed as to why her pass wasn't working. I told the guy on
the gateline what had happened he shouted after the girl but she was
in iPod mode, the pensioner still remained nonplussed after having it
explained to her. The girl presumably had some trouble at the other
end.)
Old February 12th 10, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 12, 2:11*pm, Tim Fardell tim.fardell.all-your-
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Recliner wrote:
[snip]
How do you know your Tube station exit wasn't picked up? *The on-line
Web pages aften have gaps, but ticket machines will show you the full
history. So, even though the history shown online may be incomplete, you
won't necessarily have been overcharged.

Ah-ha! I think you're right - it's just that the 'Exit' events have not
shown up on the Web history. I spoke to the Oyster helpline, and they said
they can see that both journeys were completed correctly and I have not
been overcharged.

He's sending me a full statement to confirm it, but it certainly sounds
like the Web history is just missing the exit events.

At least I now know not to trust the journey history on the web. Thanks
:-)

How long ago was this?The online journey history does have a tendency
to lag somewhat.
Old February 12th 10, 01:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

One was last Saturday (6th Feb) and the other was way back on January
22nd.

The first one back in January I initially attributed to incompetence on my
part, but when it happened again at the same station I began to smell a
rat. Hence I've only just raised it. But it seems all is well anyway.

Old February 12th 10, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tim Fardell" wrote in
message

wrote:

[...]

I've found that the apparent gaps can stay indefinitely, but an event
such as topping up the card or reading it on a ticket machine sometimes
seems to correct the online history. It's almost as if the data is
sitting waiting in cache somewhere, but doesn't get written to the
online database until some event causes the cache to clear. But the
credit on the card always seems to be correct.