Old March 19th 10, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow T3 exit time

Mizter T wrote:

The 15 minutes to walk from the Tube station to VCS seems a bit on the
high side, even with luggage.

Last time was with a /very/ heavy bag, so that might have been the reason.
I don't plan to repeat that.

Must say I'm surprised at the apparent dearth of NatEx coach services
from LHR to VCS in the late evening.

It's because they're all inbound from somewhere else. The last one is from
Taunton or Totnes or somewhere like that at 21.40. Which might also make
the timekeeping a little variable in case of any traffic upstream.

Oddly the TfL planner doesn't seem to know about them. It's a shame the
GreenLine (or RedArrow or whatever they were) don't run any more.

Tight connections always add a bit of spice to a journey!

Though if you're heading to Cambridge, perhaps the train from KX is
the way to go. But that would/could be the backup if the coach at VCS
is missed.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. That's a bit more annoying at the
Cambridge end, though. But doable as a backup backup (though 40 mins VCS to
KX with luggage is also tight).

Theo

Old March 20th 10, 09:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

Ah yes , arn't they wonderful? All your details stored on it unencrypted
which
can be read from a few metres away with the right machine.

Er...who gives a monkey's?

Ian

Old March 20th 10, 09:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

Hotels check your passport to make sure its you but I don't remember
any of them photocopying my details.

I have had my passport photocopied dozens of times in hotels and company
offices all over the world. Some offices make you leave your passport with
them and exchange it for a security pass while you are in the building.

I really don't mind - or care.

Ian

Old March 20th 10, 09:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian F." wrote in message
wrote in message

Ah yes , arn't they wonderful? All your details stored on it unencrypted
which
can be read from a few metres away with the right machine.

Er...who gives a monkey's?

Some people obviously do. I don't think that just dismissing this fear is a
reasonable response, an explanation as to why it's unreasonable is possibly
needed.

Old March 20th 10, 11:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:23:27 on Sat, 20 Mar
2010, tim.... remarked:
Ah yes , arn't they wonderful? All your details stored on it unencrypted
which
can be read from a few metres away with the right machine.

Er...who gives a monkey's?

Some people obviously do. I don't think that just dismissing this fear is a
reasonable response, an explanation as to why it's unreasonable is possibly
needed.

Several explanations have been offered in this thread, already.

Old March 20th 10, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Theo Markettos) wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

The 15 minutes to walk from the Tube station to VCS seems a bit on the
high side, even with luggage.

Last time was with a /very/ heavy bag, so that might have been the
reason. I don't plan to repeat that.

Must say I'm surprised at the apparent dearth of NatEx coach services
from LHR to VCS in the late evening.

It's because they're all inbound from somewhere else. The last one is
from Taunton or Totnes or somewhere like that at 21.40. Which might
also make the timekeeping a little variable in case of any traffic
upstream.

Oddly the TfL planner doesn't seem to know about them. It's a shame the
GreenLine (or RedArrow or whatever they were) don't run any more.

Didn't some of the 7x7 airport coaches originate as Green line routes many
years ago?

Tight connections always add a bit of spice to a journey!

Though if you're heading to Cambridge, perhaps the train from KX is
the way to go. But that would/could be the backup if the coach at VCS
is missed.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. That's a bit more annoying at the
Cambridge end, though. But doable as a backup backup (though 40 mins
VCS to KX with luggage is also tight).

If you're approaching Victoria on the Piccadilly you make a go/no go
decision on Victoria before changing to the District at Baron's court.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old March 21st 10, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 19, 9:53*pm, Theo Markettos
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

The 15 minutes to walk from the Tube station to VCS seems a bit on the
high side, even with luggage.

Last time was with a /very/ heavy bag, so that might have been the reason..
I don't plan to repeat that.

Fair enough. Under more normal conditions, if you know the way (which
you do), and if you're reasonably fit and are not mobility impaired
(both of which seem to apply), then I'd say ten minutes at the most
(if you're not dawdling that is!).

Must say I'm surprised at the apparent dearth of NatEx coach services
from LHR to VCS in the late evening.

It's because they're all inbound from somewhere else. *The last one is from
Taunton or Totnes or somewhere like that at 21.40. *Which might also make
the timekeeping a little variable in case of any traffic upstream.

Indeed. But still a bit surprised that there's nothing that comes
through any later. Actually I'm a bit surprised that there's only 29
services a day - I was under the evidently quite erroneous
misapprehension that NX almost offered a turn up and go coach service
towards central London (well, coaches every half hour or thereabouts).
However I might be getting a bit muddled - read on...

Oddly the TfL planner doesn't seem to know about them. *It's a shame the
GreenLine (or RedArrow or whatever they were) don't run any more.

It was called the "Airbus" - I'm really not an expert on it, so
perhaps others can fill in the blanks. Aha... this webpage has some
information:
http://www.milesfaster.co.uk/informa...ort/airbus.htm

It was originally run by London Transport (and started 1981), then
after privatisation of the bus network in the 90's responsibility
passed to the London United bus company (it was run as a commercial
service). Later it was sold to Airlinks, an NX company, and later
still NX rebranded it, along with other airport related brands (such
as Jetlink and Flightlink that just serve to confuse me) as "National
Express Airport".

However, when the A2 Airbus was ditched in 2004, my recollection is
that NX's spin was something along the lines of 'no worries, there'll
still be plentiful NX coach services from Heathrow to London VCS' -
but it's not quite the same.

The above webpage, run by a London hotel agency, does suggest that
there's some suppressed demand for an Airbus-esque service. But I have
to say it's not really something I'd consider using, the Piccadilly
line does me ok. Given that no other company has stepped into the
breach, I wonder if it's really that viable a market.

Tight connections always add a bit of spice to a journey!

Though if you're heading to Cambridge, perhaps the train from KX is
the way to go. But that would/could be the backup if the coach at VCS
is missed.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. *That's a bit more annoying at the
Cambridge end, though. *But doable as a backup backup (though 40 mins VCS to
KX with luggage is also tight).

As Colin has said, you could make the decision as to whether catching
the coach is do-able before Barons Court, when you'd have to change
for the District line.

FWIW, I'd say 40 mins VCS to KX is quite doable if you're capable of
shifting it a bit, *and* if the Victoria line is working - 10 mins VCS
to Vic Tube station, Vic to KXSP 20 minutes overall (max 5 mins wait,
10 mins journey, 5 mins subterranean walking), spare 10 minutes to buy
train ticket from machine and find train.
Old March 21st 10, 02:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
05:32:22 on Sun, 21 Mar 2010, Mizter T remarked:
Later it was sold to Airlinks, an NX company, and later
still NX rebranded it, along with other airport related brands (such
as Jetlink and Flightlink that just serve to confuse me) as "National
Express Airport".

Whatever happened to the strange new NX minibus service (between airport
and City Centre) with the dots on the side (same branding as the
then-new NXEC)? Dotty by name and dotty by nature, perhaps.
Old March 21st 10, 03:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 21, 3:14*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
05:32:22 on Sun, 21 Mar 2010, Mizter T remarked:

Later it was sold to Airlinks, an NX company, and later
still NX rebranded it, along with other airport related brands (such
as Jetlink and Flightlink that just serve to confuse me) as "National
Express Airport".

Whatever happened to the strange new NX minibus service (between airport
and City Centre) with the dots on the side (same branding as the
then-new NXEC)? Dotty by name and dotty by nature, perhaps.

dot2dot in fact. Closed down early 2009, or maybe even late 2008. We
discussed it a little on here back in October '08:
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.ra...fbb74c49a4563/

As Chris Read suggested, the fares didn't really seem appealing enough
for it to make sense to enough people.

Think dot2dot it still features on some of the station signage at
Kings Cross though.
Old March 21st 10, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 15:14:52 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

Whatever happened to the strange new NX minibus service (between airport
and City Centre) with the dots on the side (same branding as the
then-new NXEC)? Dotty by name and dotty by nature, perhaps.

It was a failure. Probably going after a market that doesn't exist,
TBH - you're either time-sensitive in which case you will use HEx and
a taxi (or just a taxi), or you're price-sensitive in which case
you'll use the Picc.

That said, the concept seems to do well in the US.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.