Old November 25th 03, 11:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Nes Nes is offline

Default More on Oysters

Some revenue protectors (aka ticket inspectors) have handheld Oyster
readers. Some ask you for the expiry date of the Oyster just to make sure
it's yours, others don't. Other RPs w/o handheld readers just glance at the
Oyster and the photocard and move on.

Nes.
--
To reply directly to me, please remove all the spam-deflecting X's!
Either that, or simply reply to the group!

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:50:08 -0000, "Colin"
wrote:

I am fairly certain that the conductor was wrong, and the passengers
response should have been 'I am fully entitled to use any bus I choose;

tell
your managers to pull their fingers out and supply you with new

machines'.

Given that Routemasters are very much on their way out, I doubt new
machines will be provided, as the likely revenue loss from not being
able to check the tickets is probably low.

That said, I wonder what kind of means will be provided for travelling
ticket inspectors on cashless buses to perform a check? Will they
need to bring all passengers forward to use the on-bus ticket machine?
Or, will the machine be able to print a list of serial numbers which
have been used on that journey, so the cards can be checked manually?
(Do they have a printed serial number?)

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to

/dev/null.
Try my first name at the above domain instead if you want to e-mail me.

Old November 25th 03, 11:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Nes Nes is offline

"Neil Williams" wrote in message

Will they need to bring all passengers forward to use the on-bus ticket
machine?

I don't think that'd work, as the Oyster reader at the driver's position
would complain about "passback attempted", which has happened to me a couple
of times, when the first read went wrong and the driver asked me to wave the
card in front of the reader and that error was generated.

Nes.

Old November 26th 03, 01:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:25:24 +0000 (UTC), "J. Public"
wrote:

I don't think I even have a record card. Purchased a weekly on the internet
a month ago, and it came in a blue DVD type case, but that was it. There
was an invoice, but surely I shouldn't have to carry that round with me.

Same here. There was a reference in the documentation that an RC
should be enclosed, but I didn't get one. Also noticed that the
credit card receipts one gets using the big machines at Tube stations
aren't much use, as they only show the date of the transaction, which
isn't much use if you're renewing a Travelcard a few days in advance.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old November 26th 03, 09:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

I don't think I even have a record card. Purchased a weekly on the

internet
a month ago, and it came in a blue DVD type case, but that was it. There
was an invoice, but surely I shouldn't have to carry that round with me.

Same here. There was a reference in the documentation that an RC
should be enclosed, but I didn't get one. Also noticed that the
credit card receipts one gets using the big machines at Tube stations
aren't much use, as they only show the date of the transaction, which
isn't much use if you're renewing a Travelcard a few days in advance.

The ticket machines DO issue a record card as well as a credit card receipt.

Old November 26th 03, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Ed Crowley wrote:
The ticket machines DO issue a record card as well as a credit card receipt.

The little "quick ticket" credit card only ones don't (or didn't, at Archway,
for a weekly about three weeks ago).

--
Good night little fishey-wishes.... I've counted you, so no
sneaky eating each other.
Old November 26th 03, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mike Bristow" wrote in message
In article ,
Ed Crowley wrote:
The ticket machines DO issue a record card as well as a credit card

receipt.

The little "quick ticket" credit card only ones don't (or didn't, at

Archway,
for a weekly about three weeks ago).

Oh, the touch screen machines do. Maybe it's worth sending an email to tfl
to suggest all ticket machines behave the same way?

Old November 26th 03, 10:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:33:58 -0000, Ed Crowley wrote:
The ticket machines DO issue a record card as well as a credit card receipt.

The ticket machine at Woodside Park doesn't when selling a weekly.

David
Old November 26th 03, 10:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 11:19:41 -0000, "Ed Crowley"
wrote:

Oh, the touch screen machines do. Maybe it's worth sending an email to tfl
to suggest all ticket machines behave the same way?

Indeed. One could even be posted out when a ticket is purchased
online. This is (as I've said before) how MK Metro handle dodgy cards
or buses without machines (or with failed ones), and seems a decent
enough solution.

Obviously won't work for pre-pay, but it is suited to all seasons, and
even initially to day travelcards.

Neil

Old November 26th 03, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
The ticket machines DO issue a record card as well as a credit
card receipt.

The ticket machine at Woodside Park doesn't when selling a weekly.

I got one when I renewed my monthly ticket at Canning Town using a
normal ticket machine and paying in cash.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Another high quality lesson from Robin May:
Your and you're are different words!

Grippers and Oysters Jim Hawkins London Transport 11 April 20th 07 10:17 AM
Stratford and Oysters Tristán White London Transport 2 April 16th 06 10:12 AM
Fares for 2004 & Oysters simon London Transport 6 December 12th 03 11:53 PM
More on Oysters Jill London Transport 0 November 25th 03 07:45 PM
Weekly Oysters Mark Etherington London Transport 0 October 12th 03 09:21 AM