Old November 26th 03, 03:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default More on Oysters

On 26 Nov 2003 13:22:28 GMT, Robin May
wrote:

David Walters wrote the following in:

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:33:58 -0000, Ed Crowley
wrote:
The ticket machines DO issue a record card as well as a credit
card receipt.

The ticket machine at Woodside Park doesn't when selling a weekly.

I got one when I renewed my monthly ticket at Canning Town using a
normal ticket machine and paying in cash.

It's almost as if you've got a choice...You can have EITHER a Credit
Card Receipt OR a Record Card, but not both. And then only if you renew
at one of the big Multi-Fare Machines.

HTH,

Barry

--
Barry Salter, barry at southie dot me dot uk
Read uk.* newsgroups? Read uk.net.news.announce!

DISCLAIMER: The above comments do not necessarily represent the
views of my employers.

Old November 26th 03, 05:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:56:36 -0000, "Colin"
wrote:

"Rob" _rjayjaycox_at_nildram_dot_co_dot_uk_nodot wrote in message
.. .

Snip

This sounds correct to me. I have it on good authority, for instance,
that passengers with Oyster at NR stations without readers have been
told to show 'extreme discretion' during the teething period.

Rob

Ah-ha - so it sounds as if TfL have not got full co-operation from all the
TOC's yet. Maybe certain TOCs are holding out to see if TfL will stump up
the cash for the readers?

Well I was involved in talking to the TOCs in the early stages of
Prestige (Oyster). Some like C2C were very keen as they were going gated
anyway. Others were downright hostile. I think the balance may have
tilted a bit given how many are using ticket gates.

TfL cannot afford to pay for equipping all TOC gates and actually has no
obligation to do so except at Joint Stations where the Tube stops as
well. Even there though the discussion will be about mutual benefit
because the TOCs will gain benefits from employing Oyster technology.
The record card (or Inspection Ticket as I called it in the spec) was
always envisaged because there was always the possibility of there being
a station where a Travelcard was valid but where gates would never be
justified - e.g Sudbury Hill and Harrow on the Chiltern Line. There are
LUL / ATOC agreements that govern ticketing technology changes as well
as Travelcard, apportionment and Through Ticketing.

Quite what has been agreed with the TOCs and how it is being funded now
I do not know. I would expect that interesting discussions are going on
given TfL's policies about Overground and also the plan to equate the
fare scales between National Rail and LUL / Docklands (subject to
funding from govt). Once that happens you can expect Oyster and Pre-Pay
in particular to be required London wide using gates or validators (as
installed at certain LUL and all DLR stns).
--
Paul C
Admits to Working for London Underground!

Old November 27th 03, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 16:49:41 +0000, Barry Salter wrote:
It's almost as if you've got a choice...You can have EITHER a Credit
Card Receipt OR a Record Card, but not both. And then only if you renew
at one of the big Multi-Fare Machines.

I tried that this morning. Bought a weekly pass with a credit card
and didn't request a receipt. Still no record card :-(

David
Old November 27th 03, 07:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Rob Rob is offline

wrote:

"Rob" _rjayjaycox_at_nildram_dot_co_dot_uk_nodot wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I have (s*d's law) just noticed my mistake: it's the RPIs who were
advised to show "maximum discretion", I'm sure the faredodgers are
using their discretion already!

Rob
Old December 7th 03, 09:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Phil" wrote in message
m...

According to oyster helpline NR staff have been told that
if the oyster cannot be read it is to be
accepted unconditionally as being valid.

Unbelievable! So all you have to do is break it and you have a free
open-ended travelcard!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 7th 03, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Rob _rjayjaycox_at_nildram_dot_co_dot_uk_nodot wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:50:08 -0000, "Colin"
wrote:

snipped, with apologies

However the advise I read for buses was along the lines 'on buses with
on-board crew simply show your Oystercard for the time being', the
assumption being that upgraded personal ticket machines with handheld
scanners were not far off.

This sounds correct to me. I have it on good authority, for instance,
that passengers with Oyster at NR stations without readers have been
told to show 'extreme discretion' during the teething period.

Rob

According to oyster helpline NR staff have been told that if the
oyster cannot be read it is to be accepted unconditionally as being
valid. I suppose this is more or less the same as extreme discretion
in practice.
HTH Phil
Old December 7th 03, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , John Rowland
writes
"Phil" wrote in message
om...

According to oyster helpline NR staff have been told that
if the oyster cannot be read it is to be
accepted unconditionally as being valid.

Unbelievable! So all you have to do is break it and you have a free
open-ended travelcard!

Sigh
You lot are always complaining that the present system labels all
passengers as criminals; now you're being given the benefit of the doubt
and you're still not happy....
--
Kat Frogs have it easy. They can eat what bugs them.

Grippers and Oysters Jim Hawkins London Transport 11 April 20th 07 10:17 AM
Stratford and Oysters Tristán White London Transport 2 April 16th 06 10:12 AM
Fares for 2004 & Oysters simon London Transport 6 December 12th 03 11:53 PM
More on Oysters Jill London Transport 0 November 25th 03 07:45 PM
Weekly Oysters Mark Etherington London Transport 0 October 12th 03 09:21 AM