Old November 25th 03, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default More on Oysters

In article ,
David Boothroyd wrote:
I've never had any problem with getting an Oyster accepted by conductors
on RM buses before. Anyone know whether the conductor was right?

I'm fairly sure that the conductor was wrong. I have also never seen anyone
check a record card sufficently well to mean anything.

I've paid for a travelcard which is valid for all buses and I'm damn well
not going to restrict myself to the ones with Oyster readers. It's TFL's
problem if they can't check my ticket.

I concur.

--
Good night little fishey-wishes.... I've counted you, so no
sneaky eating each other.

Old November 25th 03, 08:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mike Bristow" wrote in message
In article ,
David Boothroyd wrote:
I've never had any problem with getting an Oyster accepted by conductors
on RM buses before. Anyone know whether the conductor was right?

I'm fairly sure that the conductor was wrong. I have also never seen

anyone
check a record card sufficently well to mean anything.

I've paid for a travelcard which is valid for all buses and I'm damn

well
not going to restrict myself to the ones with Oyster readers. It's TFL's
problem if they can't check my ticket.

I concur.

IIRC the record card only needs to be carried for National Rail journeys
with Oyster travelcards within the zones. (Does anyone know if this was a
sop to the TOCs so they would accept Oystercards?).

However the advise I read for buses was along the lines 'on buses with
on-board crew simply show your Oystercard for the time being', the
assumption being that upgraded personal ticket machines with handheld
scanners were not far off.

I am fairly certain that the conductor was wrong, and the passengers
response should have been 'I am fully entitled to use any bus I choose; tell
your managers to pull their fingers out and supply you with new machines'.

Colin

Old November 25th 03, 09:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:50:08 -0000, "Colin"
wrote:

I am fairly certain that the conductor was wrong, and the passengers
response should have been 'I am fully entitled to use any bus I choose; tell
your managers to pull their fingers out and supply you with new machines'.

Given that Routemasters are very much on their way out, I doubt new
machines will be provided, as the likely revenue loss from not being
able to check the tickets is probably low.

That said, I wonder what kind of means will be provided for travelling
ticket inspectors on cashless buses to perform a check? Will they
need to bring all passengers forward to use the on-bus ticket machine?
Or, will the machine be able to print a list of serial numbers which
have been used on that journey, so the cards can be checked manually?
(Do they have a printed serial number?)

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.
Old November 25th 03, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Rob Rob is offline

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:50:08 -0000, "Colin"
wrote:

snipped, with apologies

However the advise I read for buses was along the lines 'on buses with
on-board crew simply show your Oystercard for the time being', the
assumption being that upgraded personal ticket machines with handheld
scanners were not far off.

This sounds correct to me. I have it on good authority, for instance,
that passengers with Oyster at NR stations without readers have been
told to show 'extreme discretion' during the teething period.

Rob
Old November 25th 03, 10:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I don't think I even have a record card. Purchased a weekly on the internet
a month ago, and it came in a blue DVD type case, but that was it. There
was an invoice, but surely I shouldn't have to carry that round with me.

JP

Old November 25th 03, 11:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I am fairly certain that the conductor was wrong, and the passengers
response should have been 'I am fully entitled to use any bus I choose; tell
your managers to pull their fingers out and supply you with new machines'.

Given that Routemasters are very much on their way out, I doubt new
machines will be provided, as the likely revenue loss from not being
able to check the tickets is probably low.

That said, I wonder what kind of means will be provided for travelling
ticket inspectors on cashless buses to perform a check?

Not what you asked, but I got my Oyster checked with a handheld reader
on the WAGN train from Chingford to Liverpool Street the other day (just
before Bethnal Green, of course), so portable readers are getting out
there.

Took him about six times longer than checking a ticket though.
Old November 25th 03, 11:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I don't think I even have a record card. Purchased a weekly on the internet
a month ago, and it came in a blue DVD type case, but that was it. There
was an invoice, but surely I shouldn't have to carry that round with me.

I bought a weekly at Kings Cross Met line ticket office, got the Oyster
card, a blue wallet and a credit card receipt only. I presume therefore
that I don't have a Record Card either, whatever one of those might be!

Old November 25th 03, 11:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Rob" _rjayjaycox_at_nildram_dot_co_dot_uk_nodot wrote in message

Snip

This sounds correct to me. I have it on good authority, for instance,
that passengers with Oyster at NR stations without readers have been
told to show 'extreme discretion' during the teething period.

Rob

Ah-ha - so it sounds as if TfL have not got full co-operation from all the
TOC's yet. Maybe certain TOCs are holding out to see if TfL will stump up
the cash for the readers?

Colin

Old November 26th 03, 12:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:25:17 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

[snip]
That said, I wonder what kind of means will be provided for travelling
ticket inspectors on cashless buses to perform a check?

A hand-held checker has been developed for revenue staff which will be
able to interrogate an Oyster.

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk

Grippers and Oysters Jim Hawkins London Transport 11 April 20th 07 11:17 AM
Stratford and Oysters Tristán White London Transport 2 April 16th 06 11:12 AM
Fares for 2004 & Oysters simon London Transport 6 December 13th 03 12:53 AM
More on Oysters Jill London Transport 0 November 25th 03 08:45 PM
Weekly Oysters Mark Etherington London Transport 0 October 12th 03 10:21 AM