London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old May 11th 10, 10:20 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2009
Posts: 209
Default May Modern Raiways, Map of London's Railways


So, yesterday evening I went to my PMB, and there among the pile of
assorted mail was Modern Railways, May edition. It was crinkled in a
way of only the international postal services can achieve.

Once home I was delighted to find the enclosed, detailed, map of
London's railway infrastructure. But, why did Ian Allan have to
staple in to the magazine? It was awkward to remove, and like my
fingers it now has staple holes. I wish it could simply been folded
and included, better yet sent unfolded in a tube. I know I ask a lot
and it is really good to have it.

  #2   Report Post  
Old May 11th 10, 10:40 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 634
Default May Modern Raiways, Map of London's Railways

E27002 wrote:
So, yesterday evening I went to my PMB, and there among the pile of
assorted mail was Modern Railways, May edition. It was crinkled in a
way of only the international postal services can achieve.

Once home I was delighted to find the enclosed, detailed, map of
London's railway infrastructure. But, why did Ian Allan have to
staple in to the magazine? It was awkward to remove, and like my
fingers it now has staple holes. I wish it could simply been folded
and included, better yet sent unfolded in a tube. I know I ask a lot
and it is really good to have it.


Curious to see that Neasden Jn. and Neasden South Jn. appear to have been
transposed. In previous editions of Baker, in "Miles and Chains" and in
David Maxey's "Mile By Mile" Neasden Jn. is marked as that on the Dudding
Hill line, whilst that on the Chiltern line is Neasden South Jn. This map
marks them the opposite way round.


  #3   Report Post  
Old May 12th 10, 04:41 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2009
Posts: 209
Default May Modern Raiways, Map of London's Railways

On May 11, 2:40*pm, "Jack Taylor" wrote:
E27002 wrote:
So, yesterday evening I went to my PMB, and there among the pile of
assorted mail was Modern Railways, May edition. *It was crinkled in a
way of only the international postal services can achieve.


Once home I was delighted to find the enclosed, detailed, map of
London's railway infrastructure. *But, why did Ian Allan have to
staple in to the magazine? *It was awkward to remove, and like my
fingers it now has staple holes. *I wish it could simply been folded
and included, better yet sent unfolded in a tube. *I know I ask a lot
and it is really good to have it.


Curious to see that Neasden Jn. and Neasden South Jn. appear to have been
transposed. In previous editions of Baker, in "Miles and Chains" and in
David Maxey's "Mile By Mile" Neasden Jn. is marked as that on the Dudding
Hill line, whilst that on the Chiltern line is Neasden South Jn. This map
marks them the opposite way round.


I don't know enough to comment on that. Although I suspect that the
earlier maps are correct.

May MR also has pictures of the new units for the "Goblin" line? Are
these the first diesel trains utilized for passenger service by TfL
and its predecessors?
  #4   Report Post  
Old May 12th 10, 04:43 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,154
Default May Modern Raiways, Map of London's Railways

On 12 May, 16:41, E27002 wrote:
On May 11, 2:40*pm, "Jack Taylor" wrote:





E27002 wrote:
So, yesterday evening I went to my PMB, and there among the pile of
assorted mail was Modern Railways, May edition. *It was crinkled in a
way of only the international postal services can achieve.


Once home I was delighted to find the enclosed, detailed, map of
London's railway infrastructure. *But, why did Ian Allan have to
staple in to the magazine? *It was awkward to remove, and like my
fingers it now has staple holes. *I wish it could simply been folded
and included, better yet sent unfolded in a tube. *I know I ask a lot
and it is really good to have it.


Curious to see that Neasden Jn. and Neasden South Jn. appear to have been
transposed. In previous editions of Baker, in "Miles and Chains" and in
David Maxey's "Mile By Mile" Neasden Jn. is marked as that on the Dudding
Hill line, whilst that on the Chiltern line is Neasden South Jn. This map
marks them the opposite way round.


I don't know enough to comment on that. *Although I suspect that the
earlier maps are correct.

May MR also has pictures of the new units for the "Goblin" line? *Are
these the first diesel trains utilized for passenger service by TfL
and its predecessors?



Has the Goblin been out of action since the inception of London
Overground?
  #5   Report Post  
Old May 12th 10, 06:50 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,008
Default May Modern Raiways, Map of London's Railways

"MIG" wrote in message

On 12 May, 16:41, E27002 wrote:
On May 11, 2:40 pm, "Jack Taylor" wrote:





E27002 wrote:
So, yesterday evening I went to my PMB, and there among the pile of
assorted mail was Modern Railways, May edition. It was crinkled in
a way of only the international postal services can achieve.


Once home I was delighted to find the enclosed, detailed, map of
London's railway infrastructure. But, why did Ian Allan have to
staple in to the magazine? It was awkward to remove, and like my
fingers it now has staple holes. I wish it could simply been folded
and included, better yet sent unfolded in a tube. I know I ask a
lot and it is really good to have it.


Curious to see that Neasden Jn. and Neasden South Jn. appear to
have been transposed. In previous editions of Baker, in "Miles and
Chains" and in David Maxey's "Mile By Mile" Neasden Jn. is marked
as that on the Dudding Hill line, whilst that on the Chiltern line
is Neasden South Jn. This map marks them the opposite way round.


I don't know enough to comment on that. Although I suspect that the
earlier maps are correct.

May MR also has pictures of the new units for the "Goblin" line? Are
these the first diesel trains utilized for passenger service by TfL
and its predecessors?



Has the Goblin been out of action since the inception of London
Overground?


No




  #6   Report Post  
Old May 12th 10, 07:23 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 529
Default May Modern Raiways, Map of London's Railways

May MR also has pictures of the new units for the "Goblin" line? Are
these the first diesel trains utilized for passenger service by TfL
and its predecessors?


Has the Goblin been out of action since the inception of London
Overground?



No and no.

--
Nick

  #7   Report Post  
Old May 12th 10, 08:20 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,154
Default May Modern Raiways, Map of London's Railways

On 12 May, 19:23, D7666 wrote:
May MR also has pictures of the new units for the "Goblin" line? Are
these the first diesel trains utilized for passenger service by TfL
and its predecessors?
Has the Goblin been out of action since the inception of London
Overground?


No and no.

--
Nick


I didn't think so, but a yes to the latter would be the only way there
could have been a yes to the former (as I probably don't need to spell
out).
  #8   Report Post  
Old May 12th 10, 08:25 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Apr 2010
Posts: 547
Default May Modern Raiways, Map of London's Railways

On 12/05/2010 20:20, MIG wrote:
On 12 May, 19:23, wrote:
May MR also has pictures of the new units for the "Goblin" line? Are
these the first diesel trains utilized for passenger service by TfL
and its predecessors?
Has the Goblin been out of action since the inception of London
Overground?


No and no.

--
Nick


I didn't think so, but a yes to the latter would be the only way there
could have been a yes to the former (as I probably don't need to spell
out).


I assumed he meant "are these the first diesel trains utilized for
passenger service *acquired* (as opposed to inherited) by TfL and its
predecessors?" In which case the answer AFAIK is yes. LUL does own a
diesel loco or two for maintenance purposes.
  #9   Report Post  
Old May 12th 10, 08:33 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 529
Default May Modern Raiways, Map of London's Railways

On May 12, 8:20*pm, MIG wrote:

No and no.


I didn't think so, but a yes to the latter would be the only way there
could have been a yes to the former (as I probably don't need to spell
out).



)

Right into my neatly sprung trap.

I thought of a non-Goblin LT/LRT/LUL/LU/etc diesel public timetabled
passenger diesel operation before I answered )

I admit this time to be posting exceptions to prove rules in full
pedant mode .............

--
Nick


  #10   Report Post  
Old May 12th 10, 08:41 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Apr 2010
Posts: 547
Default May Modern Raiways, Map of London's Railways

On 12/05/2010 20:33, D7666 wrote:
On May 12, 8:20 pm, wrote:

No and no.


I didn't think so, but a yes to the latter would be the only way there
could have been a yes to the former (as I probably don't need to spell
out).



)

Right into my neatly sprung trap.

I thought of a non-Goblin LT/LRT/LUL/LU/etc diesel public timetabled
passenger diesel operation before I answered )

I admit this time to be posting exceptions to prove rules in full
pedant mode .............


IIRC there have been diesel trains run as part of Steam On The Met.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Railway Metropolis: How Planners, Politicians and DevelopersShaped Modern London Basil Jet[_4_] London Transport 1 March 25th 17 04:46 PM
Tube map May 2010 version Paul Scott London Transport 29 May 26th 10 10:54 AM
Modern Railways, June 1506 London Transport 47 June 16th 09 07:58 PM
Modern Railways, June [email protected] London Transport 0 June 11th 09 12:35 AM
Fwd: Planets Gather on May 5 and May 17, 2000 [email protected] London Transport 4 February 8th 09 02:39 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017