Old May 25th 10, 02:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Eurostar and Stratford International

The BBC report the fact that:

"A £210m station which was due to help bring in people from abroad to the
London 2012 Olympic Games may never have an international service..."

Correct me if I've got this wrong, but isn't the bit about 'bringing people
to the games' bolloc#s anyway?

Wasn't it announced yonks ago that even if Eurostar HAD been stopping at
Stratford International, calls would cease during the games, because all
four platforms would be used by the 'Olympic Javelin' service, with the two
dedicated international platforms temporarily modified to UK height
platforms?

Paul S

Old May 25th 10, 02:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message
The BBC report the fact that:

"A £210m station which was due to help bring in people from abroad to the
London 2012 Olympic Games may never have an international service..."

Correct me if I've got this wrong, but isn't the bit about 'bringing
people to the games' bolloc#s anyway?

Wasn't it announced yonks ago that even if Eurostar HAD been stopping at
Stratford International, calls would cease during the games, because all
four platforms would be used by the 'Olympic Javelin' service, with the
two dedicated international platforms temporarily modified to UK height
platforms?

Sorry, should have added link...

Paul

Old May 25th 10, 02:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

The BBC report the fact that:

"A £210m station which was due to help bring in people from abroad to
the London 2012 Olympic Games may never have an international
service..."
Correct me if I've got this wrong, but isn't the bit about 'bringing
people to the games' bolloc#s anyway?

Wasn't it announced yonks ago that even if Eurostar HAD been stopping
at Stratford International, calls would cease during the games,
because all four platforms would be used by the 'Olympic Javelin'
service, with the two dedicated international platforms temporarily
modified to UK height platforms?

Yes, that's how I remember it too. But I daresay many people just
automatically assumed that there would be direct Paris-Stratford Olympic
trains during the games. There were even jokes about how London should
have sub-contracted the 2012 Olympics to Paris, once we realised just
how much it was going to cost, with British spectators who turned up at
Stratford being whisked directly across the Channel.

Old May 25th 10, 03:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 25 May, 15:58, "Recliner" wrote:

There were even jokes about how London should
have sub-contracted the 2012 Olympics to Paris, once we realised just
how much it was going to cost, with British spectators who turned up at
Stratford being whisked directly across the Channel.

It may have been intended as a joke, but it sounds like a very good
idea to me. The French actually wanted the Games; it's difficult to
find anybody in this country who did.
Old May 25th 10, 03:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

It may have been intended as a joke, but it sounds like a very good
idea to me. The French actually wanted the Games; it's difficult to
find anybody in this country who did.

I think you'll find a fair few self-aggrandising Ministers (now former
Ministers) who wanted the games. But if you, quite reasonably, don't
count them as people I do of course withdraw my comment.

For that matter, not many backbenchers or opposition MPs opposed the
bid. But then no one was going to repeat the lessons of the Dome, were
they?
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Old May 25th 10, 04:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 25 May, 16:26, "Robin" wrote:

I think you'll find a fair few self-aggrandising Ministers (now former
Ministers) who wanted the games. *But if you, quite reasonably, don't
count them as people I do of course withdraw my comment.

You don't often find such people to talk to; few 'ordinary' people
seemed to want them. Personally, I have no interest whatsover in
sport, I have no objection to the games as such, nor to I object to
contributing a reasonable about to the cost via taxation; what I do
object to is the cost of the games. They just seem to have grown too
big. Six years of planning ang construction, at a huge cost, I can't
remember how much it was now, just seems out of all proportion for two
sets of games of a couple of weeks each. Why couldn't existing
facilities, with suitable ugrading where necessary, have been used?
Many countries cannot afford to host the games; should the full cost
fall on the host nation? Could there be a case for all countries
participating in the games contributing to the cost, enabling more
countries to consirer bidding to host them? London has already hosted
the games twice, one of very few cities to have done so; why should we
have them a third time?

For that matter, not many backbenchers or opposition MPs opposed the
bid. *But then no one was going to repeat the lessons of the Dome, were
they?

But that's about 650 odd people, a very small part of the population.
Old May 25th 10, 04:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 25 May, 17:10, Stephen Furley wrote:
On 25 May, 16:26, "Robin" wrote:

[...]

I've met a person who thinks that having the Olympics in London is a
good idea. So that's at least 651 odd people ...
Old May 25th 10, 04:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 25 May, 17:14, MIG wrote:

I've met a person who thinks that having the Olympics in London is a
good idea. *So that's at least 651 odd people ...- Hide quoted text -

What percentage of the population would you say were in favour of the
Games? I certainly don't have any accurate figures, but the
impression I've got from hearing people talk about them is that it's a
minority, and not a very large one; probably less than 20%. Most
people seem to think that they're just too expensive.
Old May 25th 10, 04:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Stephen Furley" wrote in message
On 25 May, 15:58, "Recliner" wrote:

There were even jokes about how London should
have sub-contracted the 2012 Olympics to Paris, once we realised just
how much it was going to cost, with British spectators who turned up at
Stratford being whisked directly across the Channel.

It may have been intended as a joke, but it sounds like a very good
idea to me. The French actually wanted the Games; it's difficult to
find anybody in this country who did.

I'm sure that there are lots of Londoners who did, until they found out how
much it would cost them

tim

Old May 25th 10, 05:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

[http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/10154343.stm]

Correct me if I've got this wrong, but isn't the bit about 'bringing people
to the games' bolloc#s anyway?

Wasn't it announced yonks ago that even if Eurostar HAD been stopping at
Stratford International, calls would cease during the games, because all
four platforms would be used by the 'Olympic Javelin' service, with the two
dedicated international platforms temporarily modified to UK height
platforms?

It's *never ever* been part of the plan to provide a Eurostar service
at Stratford International during the period of the Games - the
station will only be used to service the St Pancras - Stratford -
Ebbsfleet "Olympic Javelin" shuttle service, with Eurostar trains
passing straight through.

So yes, it's utter bolloc#s.