Old May 28th 10, 10:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default "£30m sits unused on London Oyster travel cards"

Average of £1.80 sits on each idle card.

Old May 28th 10, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 28 May, 11:15, Mizter T wrote:

Average of £1.80 sits on each idle card.

That's the whole point, isn't it?

But the figure for the nominal value of remaining periods on seasons
would no doubt be a lot more.
Old May 28th 10, 11:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"MIG" wrote in message

On 28 May, 11:15, Mizter T wrote:

Average of £1.80 sits on each idle card.

That's the whole point, isn't it?

But the figure for the nominal value of remaining periods on seasons
would no doubt be a lot more.

But these are cards that haven't been used for at least a year.
Presumably they are mostly tourists or Londoners who have mislaid
unregistered cards.

Old May 28th 10, 11:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message

Average of £1.80 sits on each idle card.

An average of £1.80 (idle for more than a year) probably just indicates that
small sums of that nature are below most people's radar - it's probably a
lot less that the error you'd expect if I trying to guess the quantity of
change in your back pocket...

There's probably about £15.00 on mine, unused for two years because I always
use travelcards if just up for the day. I just see it as a £15 note in my
wallet that I keep to one side.

Paul S

Old May 28th 10, 02:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 28, 12:33*pm, MIG wrote:

On 28 May, 11:15, Mizter T wrote:

Average of £1.80 sits on each idle card.

That's the whole point, isn't it?

But the figure for the nominal value of remaining periods on seasons
would no doubt be a lot more.

Sorry, my summary should have been clearer - the crucial word above is
"idle" - as Recliner states, these are cards that haven't been used
for a year, specifically for the financial year April 2009 to April
2010.

Old May 28th 10, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 28, 12:49*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:

Average of £1.80 sits on each idle card.

An average of £1.80 (idle for more than a year) probably just indicates that
small sums of that nature are below most people's radar - it's probably a
lot less that the error you'd expect if I trying to guess the quantity of
change in your back pocket...

There's probably about £15.00 on mine, unused for two years because I always
use travelcards if just up for the day. *I just see it as a £15 note in my
wallet that I keep to one side.

Agreed - I don't think there's any big deal or problem here at all,
was just interesting to note. As the story makes clear, the unused
credit doesn't expire and can be reclaimed by surrendering the card.

(Perhaps in many years to come some sort of mechanism for dealing with
Oyster cards that have been idle for say 20 years or whatever might
become necessary, who knows...)
Old May 28th 10, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 28 May, 15:12, Mizter T wrote:
On May 28, 12:33*pm, MIG wrote:

On 28 May, 11:15, Mizter T wrote:

Average of £1.80 sits on each idle card.

That's the whole point, isn't it?

But the figure for the nominal value of remaining periods on seasons
would no doubt be a lot more.

Sorry, my summary should have been clearer - the crucial word above is
"idle" - as Recliner states, these are cards that haven't been used
for a year, specifically for the financial year April 2009 to April
2010.

OK thanks both for clarification.

I spose it's a bit like the situation with BT phonecards (although not
quite as bad) where cards were lost etc, therefore bringing in quite a
lot extra for BT.

Phonecards were worse because they actually cost more than cash: you
couldn't get them out before they chonked off another unit, even if
you were about to hang up.
Old May 28th 10, 05:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2010-05-28 12:43:18 +0100, Recliner said:

"MIG" wrote in message

On 28 May, 11:15, Mizter T wrote:

Average of £1.80 sits on each idle card.

That's the whole point, isn't it?

But the figure for the nominal value of remaining periods on seasons
would no doubt be a lot more.

But these are cards that haven't been used for at least a year.
Presumably they are mostly tourists or Londoners who have mislaid
unregistered cards.

Or people like me who live outside London and visit now and again, and
who have several cards so that I can travel with family members or lend
the cards to others. I have one card that may not have been used for a
year or two.

Old May 28th 10, 06:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Mizter T" wrote in message

Average of £1.80 sits on each idle card.

An average of £1.80 (idle for more than a year) probably just indicates
that small sums of that nature are below most people's radar - it's
probably a lot less that the error you'd expect if I trying to guess the
quantity of change in your back pocket...

There's probably about £15.00 on mine, unused for two years because I
always use travelcards if just up for the day. I just see it as a £15
note in my wallet that I keep to one side.

So do I but I wouldn't think of leaving 15 pounds on it.

5 pounds is more than enough

tim