Old June 12th 10, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR - RMT Strike action

Surprised this hasn't come up yet.

More pay requested because of increased workload and responsibility
following three car introduction.

Paul S

Old June 12th 10, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Paul Corfield wrote:

I'm afraid it looks like a planned attempt to cut off Docklands given
the 23rd is the date for a strike of RMT members at Tube Lines. I expect
the RMT are hoping that the Jubilee Line will be affected on the same
date.

Arrrgh. I'm flying out from City Airport on the morning of the 23rd.
Alternative transport suggestions please (from Dalston). I'm not taking
the car (the car park is about ?45 a day).

Flight's at 8.25 am

I suppose a taxi may be the best bet.

E.
Old June 12th 10, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12/06/2010 16:52, eastender wrote:
In ,
Paul wrote:

I'm afraid it looks like a planned attempt to cut off Docklands given
the 23rd is the date for a strike of RMT members at Tube Lines. I expect
the RMT are hoping that the Jubilee Line will be affected on the same
date.

Arrrgh. I'm flying out from City Airport on the morning of the 23rd.
Alternative transport suggestions please (from Dalston). I'm not taking
the car (the car park is about ?45 a day).

Flight's at 8.25 am

I suppose a taxi may be the best bet.

Traffic jams may be significant on that day, even in a proper taxi which
can use the bus lanes.

Old June 12th 10, 06:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
eastender writes

Arrrgh. I'm flying out from City Airport on the morning of the 23rd.
Alternative transport suggestions please (from Dalston).

Train from Dalston Kingsland to Stratford (roughly every 10 mins, with
an average journey time of 15 mins), then the 473 direct to City Airport
(roughly every 10 mins, with an average journey time of 28 mins).

The TfL journey planner suggests just under an hour in total (including
the change at Stratford), but it would be wise to allow a bit extra
because of the strike.

A taxi would almost certainly be quicker, but as Basil Jet points out,
the roads in the area are likely to be busy because of the strike (and
private hire vehicles may well charge a premium because of that).
--
Paul Terry
Old June 13th 10, 08:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

More pay requested because of increased workload and responsibility
following three car introduction.

Paul S

So is this the reason we don't get any three car trains at weekends
(even when the Jubilee line isn't running)? We've suffered years of
disruption getting ready for three car trains and more often than not
I still have to stand at weekends.

Old June 13th 10, 10:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Paul Terry wrote:

Train from Dalston Kingsland to Stratford (roughly every 10 mins, with
an average journey time of 15 mins), then the 473 direct to City Airport
(roughly every 10 mins, with an average journey time of 28 mins).

The TfL journey planner suggests just under an hour in total (including
the change at Stratford), but it would be wise to allow a bit extra
because of the strike.

Thanks - that looks like the best bet. Is the 473 bus stop by Stratford
station?

Ironic that just as I finally have a journey part enabled by the ELL I
won't be able to do it, it seems.

E.
Old June 13th 10, 12:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 13 June, 09:24, Mudchute wrote:

More pay requested because of increased workload and responsibility
following three car introduction.

Paul S

So is this the reason we don't get any three car trains at weekends
(even when the Jubilee line isn't running)? We've suffered years of
disruption getting ready for three car trains and more often than not
I still have to stand at weekends.

I haven't particularly noticed a need for them during most of most
weekends, but I suppose there could be times when a few people have to
stand. Not like the rush hour though.

During the London Marathon weekend they did run long ones, and Jubilee
disruption might be another time when they ought to.

Incidentally, someone suggested that all weekday Bank - Lewisham
services were meant to be long now. If so, it hasn't been achieved in
practice, even in the rush hour.

However, unlike at the weekend, where 07/09 units run in pairs, during
the week it's generally when 90/92 units are used on the route for
whatever reason, and they don't seem to have done any test running of
long trains with those.
Old June 13th 10, 02:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

I know it is a cliche about RMT strikes and the World Cup but this just
looks like a trumped up dispute about nothing from where I am sitting.
The BBC article makes no reference to the 3 car trains as being the
basis for the dispute - I assume you've picked this "reason" up from
somewhere else?

Yes, it was a distillation of 'quotes' in a number of online sources, too
many to lsit really...

Paul S

Old June 14th 10, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 12 June, 14:03, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Surprised this hasn't come up yet.

More pay requested because of increased workload and responsibility
following three car introduction.

Paul S

What is the source for that, by the way?

All I can find on the RMT site about the DLR is this (dated 13 June).

"In the ballot that closed today, RMT's 250 Serco/DLR members voted
for strike action and for action short of strike against plans that
include cutting safety-critical platform staff, cutting station
assistants' pay by up to £5,000 and doing away with more than half the
current station supervisors.

"We told the company that its plans were unacceptable, and now our
members have delivered a decisive mandate for industrial action to
defend these safety-critical jobs," RMT general secretary Bob Crow
said today.

"However it is dressed up, this re-organisation means a cut in safety-
critical staff and fewer people on duty on a railway where most
stations are already unstaffed, and it means the downgrading of the
skills of those station staff that remain.

"RMT members across the company have rallied to defend their
colleagues' jobs and to prevent watering down of safety standards, and
they are to be congratulated for their stand.

"We remain ready to talk about the serious issues involved, but our
members have voted for action and Serco should understand that their
choice is to talk seriously or face the prospect of industrial
action," Bob Crow said."
Old June 14th 10, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"MIG" wrote in message
On 12 June, 14:03, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Surprised this hasn't come up yet.

More pay requested because of increased workload and responsibility
following three car introduction.

What is the source for that, by the way?

Just the usual London local media reporting, as mentioned earlier in
response to the same question from Paul C...

Paul S