Old June 18th 10, 08:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Terminating in a through platform then returning "wrong direction"

"John Salmon" wrote in message

"dB" wrote
wrote:

Are there ever occasions during planned or unplanned service
disruption where an LU train heading say "eastbound" will require to
finish its journey in the "eastbound" platform of a two-platform
station, pick-up intending "westbound" passengers for the next
departure whilst still on the "eastbound" platform then head
"westbound" on the "eastbound" line in order to access a crossover to
the "westbound" line?

I've seen it happen a couple of times at Northolt on the Central line,
where a westbound train is reversed without going into the siding. I
don't know why they don't do it more often, as it does speed up the
process.

Interesting. I've never done this move at Northolt (or Oakwood, or
Hornchurch) but I think I've done just about all the others mentioned in
this thread. Anyone interested in traversing rare crossovers - both on LU
and on the national network - needs to read my weekly 'PMO' report on the
Gensheet Yahoo! Group.

Royal Victoria crossover (DLR) was used last weekend, I think for the
first planned time, by DLR trains reversing at Custom House.

Don't think it's been used lately, but back in the days when I sat behind a
'andle rather than a desk, we had a night turn that came out of Northfields,
ran down to West Ken then reversed back east to west to run to the airport
and back up to Arnos for relief. As far as I know the facility to do the
West Ken reverse is still there, but I don't think it's on the (Piccadilly)
T/Ops road training any more.
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Old June 18th 10, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 14, 8:12*am, dB wrote:

I've seen it happen a couple of times at Northolt on the Central line,
where a westbound train is reversed without going into the siding. I
don't know why they don't do it more often, as it does speed up the process.

There is one daily booked Northolt reverser that does exactly that -
its a so called ''rusty rail'' move to keep things activated.

If you really wish to know I could look it up, i can't recall the
precise details. I know it is in the current WTT64 and in the
forthcoming WTT65 is its existence produced odd results on serious
work related Central Line simulations I was running ((problem being
the simulator not set up for moves like this.))

--
Nick

Old June 18th 10, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message MWQSn.79010$oi7.37339@hurricane, Steve Dulieu
writes

Don't think it's been used lately, but back in the days when I sat
behind a 'andle rather than a desk, we had a night turn that came out
of Northfields, ran down to West Ken then reversed back east to west to
run to the airport and back up to Arnos for relief. As far as I know
the facility to do the West Ken reverse is still there, but I don't
think it's on the (Piccadilly) T/Ops road training any more.

It was 'talked through' 8 years ago at least.