Old June 28th 10, 04:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default Cirlce Line Reverts to Circle / New Metropolitan Stock

On 28 June, 17:14, 1506 wrote:
On Jun 26, 11:14*am, Andy wrote:

On Jun 26, 6:43*pm, E27002 wrote:

On Jun 26, 4:38*am, Mizter T wrote:

On Jun 26, 10:22*am, jon b wrote:

On 26 June, 10:09, MIG wrote:

If it isn't complete nonsense, I'll eat my dinner.

They have merged two snippets into one I expect.

Indeed complete nonsense! *H&C / Met / District / Circle line stock
will be replaced with S stock, starting from later this year -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_S_Stock

It's just confusion between the new class 378s (as used by London
Overground on the NLL, WLL and ELL) and the upcoming LU S-stock -
there are a fair number of similarities, though ultimately they're
rather different trains.

It surprises me that TfL could not come up with a common design for
Overground and sub-surface stock.

Why? The infrastructure on which the two types of stock will run is
quite different. The LO class 378s need 25kV AC supply as well as DC
(for the units on the North London Line) and run on routes which can
take 20m coaches. The S stock will be DC only, and parts of the route
would struggle to take the longer 20m vehicles seen on the class 378s
(the S stock is 16.7m per coach).

The ELL is DC only. *I suspect that "S" Stock might function well
there. *It will certain share the Richmond Corner of the District and
NLL with 378s. *Although I take your point: *The ELL has to go with
some sort of stock and commonality with the NLL makes some sense.

The S-Stock won't function on the ELL without modification, as it is
now a 3rd rail route. The S-stock is designed for the 4th rail LU
lines and you would still have the problem of train lengths; in
addition to having shorter cars, S-stock trains won't have cabs in the
middle of trains so you would need a special small fleet of 4-5 car
trains just for ELL services. Remember that the advantage of the 378s
is that you can have a common fleet of dual voltage spare units,
indeed the trains ordered for the upcoming extensions are all dual-
voltage.

Old June 28th 10, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 02:44:54 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

One potential way to avoid such gateline hold-ups would be to head
down the stairs from the overbridge onto platforms 13/14, then walk
down the length of platform 12 to the concourse. Not much good if you
want to stay on the overbridge of course (e.g. to catch a mainline
train!).

Indeed not.

I think fGW need to copy LM and leave those two gatelines open at peak
times. Where most people are travelling on season tickets, fare
evasion is likely to be low anyway, and Oyster users can still touch
on an open gateline.

They also need to move the ticket machines on the bridge, as the
queues for them get in the way, and to have Network Rail remove the
departure screens from the bridge (other than the one right inside the
LUL bit) to prevent people hanging around on the bridge waiting for
platforms to be announced, because this also causes congestion.
Indeed, in these days of central door locking, they could just
announce the platforms. Anyone who wants to know them can get them
via LDB anyway - unlike Euston, the Padd ones are available well in
advance that way.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.