Old July 22nd 10, 12:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

On 21/07/10 22:29, skyguy wrote:
I should never have mentioned the Wimbledon tram issue! The point was
really about the pink validators...

Hey, it's all relevent to my basic point, which is:

Ever since they made it more complicated than "touch in at the start of
your journey; touch out at the end of your journey" I don't have
confidence I understand what I'm supposed to touch, when. And every
year it seems to get more complicated.

Maybe if I used it every day it would be intuitive to me, but as an
occasional Oyster user I find the whole system increasingly confusing.

-roy

Old July 22nd 10, 10:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 08:18:27 -0700 (PDT)
Mizter T wrote:
You really think that? All the TfL blurb - including all the small
print (i.e. the conditions of carriage - which *is* a legal document)

Its as much of a legal document as the dont open if you don't agree with
the terms and conditions licensing blurb on a piece of software which has
been overturned.

B2003

Old July 22nd 10, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 16:42:37 +0100
Paul Terry wrote:
In message , d
writes

I'd love to see them try that on in court.

They already have:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...e-over-a-90p-o
ster-card-bus-fare-to-cost-10000.do

Thats not the same because you can get off a bus without swiping out. This
isn't the case on the tube (well ok , you could jump over the gates and
at certain stations like Finsbury park there arn't any gates however...).

In this case its a 100% certainty that TfL would have lost revenue. This
isn't the case for someone sitting on a tube train who has to swipe out
when he leaves the system.

Anyway , one wonders why the guy was stupid enough to give his name and
address. He should have just told them to eff off and got off the bus at
the next stop. If they tried to physically restrain him that would be assault.

B2003

Old July 22nd 10, 10:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:24:02 +0100, "Robin" uttered:

skyguy wrote:
The sign at Wimbledon also seems to suggest that you must touch the
pink validator if changing between tube and train, but ...

Well this *is* the same organisation which tells travellers that "dogs
must be carried" before they may use an escalator

I don't have a dog to carry! does that mean I have to walk up the
stairs instead?

Dave
Old July 22nd 10, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
You really think that? All the TfL blurb - including all the small
print (i.e. the conditions of carriage - which *is* a legal document)

Its as much of a legal document as the dont open if you don't agree with
the terms and conditions licensing blurb on a piece of software which has
been overturned.

B2003

I think that one went through the courts many years ago - as long as a copy
of the regulations was available for inspection by a passenger on request
then all was well. Not sure what happens if the TO is closed/non existent.

MaxB

Old July 22nd 10, 11:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Incidentally, if a tram passenger did alight at Wimbledon then touch
on one of the Oyster readers on the tram platform, then it's quite
possible there'd be no ill-effect - Tramlink allows one 'free
transfer' using Oyster from tram to tram, as any Tramlink destination
can be reached by using just two trams - this is implemented by
allowing a second 'free' touch-in at a tram stop within IIRC 70
minutes of the first touch-in. Therefore by my reading of things if a
passenger arriving at Wimbledon mistakenly touches on one of the tram
platform validators they wouldn't be charged for another tram journey
unless they've already used up their 'free transfer' - the same
applies for anyone getting off a tram anywhere else on the system and
erroneously thinking they need to touch-out.)

My understanding, based on my possibly incorrect recollection of old
discussions elsewhere and supported by another contributor to this thread,
is that actually a touch-in on arrival at Wimbledon would be treated as the
start of a new single journey on the tram and the 'free' touch-in wouldn't
apply. It seems to be presumed that doubling back via Wimbledon would not
be a legitimate single tram journey. I'd personally disagree as if I was at
e.g. Dundonald Road in unpleasant weather conditions I'd prefer to get on
the tram to Wimbledon and back rather than waiting for what might be the
exactly same tram going in the opposite direction. I might also like to do
it just to guarantee seat on the tram if I thought Wimbledon was likely to
be very busy. Presumably the same applies at Elmers End, Beckenham and New
Addington. I've quite often been able to get off at Ampere Way, do some
shopping and touch in again within the 70 minutes that gives me my return
journey for free. It seems because this loophole/benefit can be removed at
the termini, that is exactly what they have done. I think it would be fairer
if they left it in place to make it an even playing field for everyone
(except those at Wimbledon who have to go through an exit gateline anyway).