Old December 2nd 03, 08:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Default Oyster Prepay... now available!

In message , Steve
Dulieu writes

"Kat" wrote in message
In message , David Walters
writes
On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 19:03:37 +0000, Kat

wrote:
Can you no longer buy single tickets with the credit on your

Oystercard?

I wonder why you say "no longer"
AFAIK you've never been able to in the past and won't be able to until
January 04 even if you've loaded money into the Prepay slot of a 7 Day
T/C or Season Ticket on Oyster.

I've done it several dozen times with a monthly oyster and it seems
you can still do so (having had a look this evening). For me it's
a lot less hassle than having lots of small credit card transactions
or carrying change.

I can only think that you must be using one of the stations that may be
testing out the system at present. It's certainly not working like that
at my station; I've had a few disgruntled customers wondering why
they've put money on their Prepay and can't use it yet.

What we have here is a failure to comunicate... What (I think) we're talking
about is; walking up to a ticket machine, selecting your ticket and paying
for it by placing you oyster on the card reader. The cost of the ticket is
deducted from your oyster and a paper ticket is issued. It is simply using
the oyster as an electronic wallet, none of the higher functions.

No, I do understand exactly what you mean but it's my understanding that
this is not generally available yet.
However, it is more than likely that it *is* enabled at a few stations
to test the system.
--
Kat Frogs have it easy. They can eat what bugs them.

Old December 2nd 03, 08:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Kat
writes
In message , Dave Newt
writes

wrote:
Can you no longer buy single tickets with the credit on your Oystercard?

I wonder why you say "no longer"
AFAIK you've never been able to in the past and won't be able to until
January 04 even if you've loaded money into the Prepay slot of a 7 Day
T/C or Season Ticket on Oyster.

I've done it several dozen times with a monthly oyster and it seems
you can still do so (having had a look this evening). For me it's
a lot less hassle than having lots of small credit card transactions
or carrying change.

I can only think that you must be using one of the stations that may be
testing out the system at present. It's certainly not working like that
at my station; I've had a few disgruntled customers wondering why
they've put money on their Prepay and can't use it yet.

I think he means (and I have seen it too), that you can buy a paper
ticket from the machine, and when you get to the payment screen, you can
insert coins, notes, cards OR you can have the amount lifted from your
Oyster (if it has a wedge of cash topped up on it already).

Yes, I know the option to do that appears on the screen but when you
*actually* try to use it, it will say that it's not available.
If he has bought a paper ticket using Prepay on Oyster then I think it
must be a trial at certain stations only.

And, I should add, according to the information I have, using Pre-Pay to
buy magnetic tickets will not be available until February 04
--
Kat Frogs have it easy. They can eat what bugs them.

Old December 2nd 03, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Kat wrote:
Yes, I know the option to do that appears on the screen but when you
*actually* try to use it, it will say that it's not available.
If he has bought a paper ticket using Prepay on Oyster then I think it
must be a trial at certain stations only.

I've done it at Leytonstone, Finchley Central and the station on
the picadilly that got busses from East Finchley when the Northern
Line was todged. I might go to Mile End tomorrow, just to try!

--
Good night little fishey-wishes.... I've counted you, so no
sneaky eating each other.

Old December 2nd 03, 09:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Mike Bristow
writes
In article ,
Kat wrote:
Yes, I know the option to do that appears on the screen but when you
*actually* try to use it, it will say that it's not available.
If he has bought a paper ticket using Prepay on Oyster then I think it
must be a trial at certain stations only.

I've done it at Leytonstone, Finchley Central and the station on
the picadilly that got busses from East Finchley when the Northern
Line was todged. I might go to Mile End tomorrow, just to try!

Well do let me know; it certainly wasn't working on Friday but as this
is Tuesday who knows what may have been done in the meantime....
And, come to think of it, I did get an inkling that it may have been
enabled early somewhere on the group.
--
Kat Frogs have it easy. They can eat what bugs them.

Old December 2nd 03, 09:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Kat" wrote in message

Well do let me know; it certainly wasn't working on Friday but as this
is Tuesday who knows what may have been done in the meantime....
And, come to think of it, I did get an inkling that it may have been
enabled early somewhere on the group.

You've gotta stop reading those tea-leaves Kat!

Old December 2nd 03, 09:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
I@n I@n is offline

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 11:15:42 +0000, Dave Arquati
wrote:

Now available online (http://www.oystercard.com/prepay/fares.htm) or
over the phone (0870 849 9999).

Yes, I'm as shocked as anyone else! I'm going to try ordering one online
now...

How do you actually order it online? I've registered on the site, but
when progressing to the "buy oystercard online now" it insists on me
entering a photocard number. But I do not have a photocard, and nor do
I think I need one for single tickets or 7 day tickets.

The web site is AWFUL too.

Old December 2nd 03, 09:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

But you cannot use the tickets at any intermediate station as I
understand matters.

This was discussed in another thread and although that is what the TfL
literature says I believe the conclusion was that the situation had now
changed though I must admit I didn't quite follow it.

Haven't looked at Tottenham Hale or Seven
Sisters but I'd imagine there would only be an interchange validator at
Seven Sisters as the street entrance is gated

Seven Sisters does indeed have validators on both sides of the passageway
leading to and from the WAGN platforms. They have been there several months
at least and were presumably installed at the same time as those on the
gates.

Old December 2nd 03, 09:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Robin Mayes
writes

"Kat" wrote in message

Well do let me know; it certainly wasn't working on Friday but as this
is Tuesday who knows what may have been done in the meantime....
And, come to think of it, I did get an inkling that it may have been
enabled early somewhere on the group.

You've gotta stop reading those tea-leaves Kat!

Tea, tea! Do you think us SAs have time to drink tea, let alone read the
future?
--
Kat Frogs have it easy. They can eat what bugs them.

Old December 2nd 03, 09:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

[...]

I've used it for the past month or so, and it's worked at
Belsize Park
Swiss Cottage
Finchley Road
Uxbridge
Edgware Road H&C
Baker Street

I've never had it say I can't use it (yet!).

I select a ticket as normal, then instead of shoving my credit card in, I
press "pay using oyster". It then deducts the amount from my card. I only
do it as it's a bit faster then verifying your card, and I don't need to get
my card out, stick it in the machine etc. It's a small saving, I know, but
it saves the shrapnel on the c.c statement.

JP

Old December 2nd 03, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Now available online (http://www.oystercard.com/prepay/fares.htm) or
over the phone (0870 849 9999).

Yes, I'm as shocked as anyone else! I'm going to try ordering one online
now...

How do you actually order it online? I've registered on the site, but
when progressing to the "buy oystercard online now" it insists on me
entering a photocard number. But I do not have a photocard, and nor do
I think I need one for single tickets or 7 day tickets.

The web site is AWFUL too.

Agreed... I couldn't actually get the popup window to load in Mozilla
Firebird or Internet Explorer. But anyway - I'm under the impression
that you *do* need a (free) photocard since the Oyster is quite a
permanent thing. There is a £3 deposit to get it (reclaimable on
surrendering the Oyster).

Of course, requiring a photocard might be a bug since it's only gone on
sale today, and they've forgotten to make this part of their script
optional for Prepay customers.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7