Old August 26th 10, 09:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster question, please

For whatever moronic reason we don't have flat fares in London so you
have to swipe in and out which means its limited to one person per
journey.

For transatlantic readers, we don't all think it is moronic given in
particular (i) the size of the London Underground network and the
congestion in its central area in particular and (ii) the ability to
extend the Oyster card to (so far) National Rail services in the wider
London area. In other words we're like Hong Kong with its Octopus Card,
Tokyo with its Suica/PASMO,......
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Old August 26th 10, 09:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 26, 8:53*am, Neil Williams
wrote:
On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 19:48:30 -0400, wrote:
Much appreciated. *Thank you. *I was/am trying to come up with an answer
that won't leave me with 4 Oyster cards with a balance on them. *Two I don't
mind as wife & I frequent London 2 or 3 times a year. *For this particular
trip, I would normally have bought four 3-Day travelcards good for zones 1-6
(all 6 zones out of necessity).

Given that (I think) a 3-day Travelcard was just priced at three times
a One Day Travelcard, and you can still buy the latter on paper, you
could just buy three of those each.

Another argument against buying 3-day Travelcards is that they no
longer exist - they were withdrawn at the beginning of the year.

Failing that, cash the Oyster cards in at the end and get a refund of
the deposit and balance.

The TfL website confirms that this is possible:
You can take your Oyster card to a Tube station ticket office for a refund of your unused ticket or travel
value and the £3 deposit.

(from http://tinyurl.com/37sd9zo )

Using Oyster PAYG might well work out a little cheaper for the OP, if
it turns out that he doesn't need zones 1-6 on all three days; or if
he doesn't need to travel during the morning peak. It certainly won't
cost any more than buying paper tickets - the only downsides are
having to visit a tube ticket office at your last station (though I'd
imagine the major rail termini and Heathrow are used to this kind of
transaction), and possibly being left over with some of our funny
English money.
Old August 26th 10, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:31:38 on Thu,
26 Aug 2010, Ian Jelf remarked:

Can you just take a PAYG-loaded Oyster Card to a Ticket Office and cash
it in for a refund of the balance (and deposit if applicable)?

Doesn't it have to be registered, and the money paid to a bank account
later? Won't there be a bit of a long queue at Heathrow tube station (or
wherever is the OP's point of final exit from the "TFL system".
Old August 26th 10, 12:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Doesn't it have to be registered, and the money paid to a bank account
later

AIUI yes - to discourage theft of them for the deposit/balance on them.

I *think* the position for the separate "Visitor Oyster card " is
different with tube stations refunding up to £5 when the card is handed
over. But I can't find an answer one way or the other on the Oyster
pages.

Won't there be a bit of a long queue at Heathrow tube station
(or wherever is the OP's point of final exit from the "TFL system".

Good point: I really don't think it'd be worth the OP's time bearing in
mind (i) how far the pound has slumped against the US dollar and (ii)
how much we (UK PLC) are broke and need the money.

Old August 26th 10, 06:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 09:31:38 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

Can you just take a PAYG-loaded Oyster Card to a Ticket Office and cash
it in for a refund of the balance (and deposit if applicable)?

I *think* so...

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.