Old October 6th 10, 08:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Oyster PAYG more expensive than paper tickets?

On 6 Oct, 01:11, "Graham J" wrote:
1) Should there have been an OSI applied on your return journey?

[...snip...]

Fenchurch Street NR exit 15:32
Liverpool Street LU entry 15:45

I deliberately phrased my points as queries because of my incomplete
knowledge of the subject and I think I may well have been wise to do so as I
now believe the answer to point 1) may well actually be NO. *Looking athttp://www.dragondark.co.uk/osi/osi.pdf, which gives a recent list of out of
station interchanges (and is consistent with other lists), there is an OSI
shown between Fenchurch Street and Liverpool Street NR, but there is NOT one
between Fenchurch Street and Liverpool Street LU. *It seems if you are
changing to the underground from Fenchurch Street you are actually expected
to use Aldgate, Bank, Monument or Tower Hill.

So I think you were actually charged correctly for that leg of your journey,
with just the inconsistency (in your favour) over a £9.40 cap seemingly
having been applied when the fare tables online suggest it should have been
£9.50.

So that seems to only leave the question of whether your journey from
Ockendon to Fenchurch Street should have had the railcard discount applied
to it. I can't immediately think why the answer would be no.

G.

I ought to have paid more attention before, but how the eck can
Fenchurch Street to Bank be an OSI when Cannon Street to Bank is not?

The latter is one that I would naturally use and it wouldn't have
occurred to me not to do it on PAYG, but luckily I happen not to have
done.

Old October 6th 10, 08:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"MIG" wrote in message

I ought to have paid more attention before, but how the eck can
Fenchurch Street to Bank be an OSI when Cannon Street to Bank is not?

Presumably because Cannon St to Monument(Bank) has a direct tube service?

Paul S

Old October 6th 10, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 6 Oct, 09:22, "Paul Scott" wrote:
"MIG" wrote in message

I ought to have paid more attention before, but how the eck can
Fenchurch Street to Bank be an OSI when Cannon Street to Bank is not?

Presumably because Cannon St to Monument(Bank) has a direct tube service?

Paul S

That may be the formula, but it's not a good reason. Who in their
right mind would go one stop in the wrong direction in order to walk
further under the ground than the walk from Cannon Street? Travelling
west on the Central Line from the south east, Cannon Street to Bank is
the obvious interchange.
Old October 6th 10, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

"MIG" wrote in message

I ought to have paid more attention before, but how the eck can
Fenchurch Street to Bank be an OSI when Cannon Street to Bank is not?

Presumably because Cannon St to Monument(Bank) has a direct tube service?

And I note that so does Waterloo to Embankment, which is an OSI and
much further.
Old October 6th 10, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I ought to have paid more attention before, but how the eck can
Fenchurch Street to Bank be an OSI when Cannon Street to Bank is not?

Perhaps even more to the point, why are Liverpool St NR to Bank LU, Waterloo
NR to Embankment LU, and Waterloo East NR to Embankment LU all considered as
OSIs when Cannon Street to Bank isn't? It doesn't seem to be an even playing
field.

Old October 6th 10, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote

On 6 Oct, 01:11, "Graham J" wrote:
[...]

So the question arises as to what would be charged if you first entered
Liverpool Street NR instead (which is an 40 min OSI) then immediately
out and enter Liverpool Street LU (20 min OSI).

--
Mike D
Old October 6th 10, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"MIG" wrote in message
On 6 Oct, 01:11, "Graham J" wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure the list posted above is up-to-date. The list in the
National Rail Fares Manual is a bit different and does include Cannon
St - Bank as an OSI.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...3OEtQUkE&hl=en

Peter Smyth