Old October 31st 10, 03:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Wifi on the tube

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 10:54:12 -0500,
wrote:

Can't you do that on your phone?

Not on the Tube. Which is, to be fair, often a time when I'd want to
check out the next bit of my journey...

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.

Old October 31st 10, 07:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

These days people use the Internet to check things like train timetables,
and live departure boards. Or so I'm told. Will never catch on ;-)

I wish TfL would make its website more smart phone friendly. Often
information fails to display clearly, especially the weekend engineering
section. And the Journey Planner is very hard to use on a small touchscreen.

Old November 1st 10, 12:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 31, 4:45*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 10:54:12
on Sun, 31 Oct 2010, remarked:

People would probably be better off spending money on psychiatric
sessions if they can't go 30 mins without accessing the internet.

These days people use the Internet to check things like train
timetables, and live departure boards. Or so I'm told. Will never
catch on ;-)

Can't you do that on your phone?

Oh do keep up Colin! Not on the platform at a tube station!!

But if one had a phone or other handheld device which can use wifi, then
that's exactly what one might find it handy for.

ps I can't do it on *my* phone (even up at ground level) because I don't
have an affordable data plan But I've narrowly avoided getting an
iPad, and that would be just the kind of application.

You don't want to have to whip out an iPad just to check the LDBs
though!
Old November 1st 10, 07:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
18:10:50 on Sun, 31 Oct 2010, Mizter T remarked:
ps I can't do it on *my* phone (even up at ground level) because I don't
have an affordable data plan But I've narrowly avoided getting an
iPad, and that would be just the kind of application.

You don't want to have to whip out an iPad just to check the LDBs
though!

Plenty of people use upmarket phones for that kind of thing; and the
iPad is at the larger end of the scale, I agree.
Old November 1st 10, 07:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:33:27
on Sun, 31 Oct 2010, remarked:

My phone has a web browser. Doesn't yours?

My phone has a tiny screen that wouldn't be any use for browsing, even
if I had a data plan to pay for it. It was bought for the in-built
camera, not the extra connectivity.