Old November 1st 10, 08:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Wifi on the tube

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 18:33:27 on
Sun, 31 Oct 2010, remarked:

My phone has a web browser. Doesn't yours?

My phone has a tiny screen that wouldn't be any use for browsing, even
if I had a data plan to pay for it. It was bought for the in-built
camera, not the extra connectivity.

Seriously, though, have a go:

http://wap.tfl.gov.uk/planner

It's designed for tiny screens. I used to use it on my Sony Ericsson T68i,
which had a 101x80 screen. Even if you haven't got a data plan, it
generates so little traffic that it won't cost you much.

tom

--
Through the darkness of Future Past the magician longs to see.

Old November 1st 10, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 1, 9:39*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 18:33:27 on
Sun, 31 Oct 2010, remarked:

My phone has a web browser. Doesn't yours?

My phone has a tiny screen that wouldn't be any use for browsing, even
if I had a data plan to pay for it. It was bought for the in-built
camera, not the extra connectivity.

Seriously, though, have a go:

http://wap.tfl.gov.uk/planner

It's designed for tiny screens. I used to use it on my Sony Ericsson T68i,
which had a 101x80 screen. Even if you haven't got a data plan, it
generates so little traffic that it won't cost you much.

Agreed - along with the (perhaps more useful) National Rail wapsite,
replete with useful LDBs, plus the Journey Check wapsites (if the TOC
in question has one).

I have a pretty basic mobile with tiny screen which I use for some
basic browsing - TfL, National Rail and JCheck as mentioned above, BBC
news, weather and sports results, BT phonebook, Google for a few
nuggets of info - worth noting that if you go through a Google search,
Google actually reformats full sized web pages to suit your device -
it can actually work surprisingly well.
Old November 2nd 10, 01:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
CJB CJB is offline

On Oct 29, 12:35*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 04:59:40 -0700 (PDT)

Offramp wrote:
On 29 Oct, 02:06, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:
BTOpenzone are starting a six month trial of Wifi access at Charing
Cross tube station. Access is to be available in the ticket hall and
on the Northern and Bakerloo platforms.

Seehttp://seekbroadband.com/focus/2010/10/29/ispwatch/london-underground...

for more details.

I thought that BT Openzone cost a bomb.

People would probably be better off spending money on psychiatric sessions
if they can't go 30 mins without accessing the internet.

B2003

Agreed. And BT Openzone is indeed incredibly expensive.

But WiFi is free - via The Cloud - in any McDonalds or Pret outlets -
even at McD's in railway stations such as Paddington. It is also free
at Krispy Kreme outlets.

Interestingly WiFi is also free at Slough Station - not useful when
passing through at speed - but if waiting for a train, or even if
stopping there for a few minutes - there is enough time to connect and
do a few emails!!

CJB.
Old November 2nd 10, 05:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
, at
19:22:12 on Mon, 1 Nov 2010, CJB remarked:
BT Openzone is indeed incredibly expensive.

What do you mean by "incredibly expensive"? When I looked at their price
list the other day, the worst package was £5 for 500 minutes (a month).
Old November 2nd 10, 09:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
CJB CJB is offline

On Nov 2, 6:42*am, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
19:22:12 on Mon, 1 Nov 2010, CJB remarked:

BT Openzone is indeed incredibly expensive.

What do you mean by "incredibly expensive"? When I looked at their price
list the other day, the worst package was £5 for 500 minutes (a month).

Expensive when compared to free. CJB.

Old November 2nd 10, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

Seriously, though, have a go:

http://wap.tfl.gov.uk/planner

It's designed for tiny screens. I used to use it on my Sony Ericsson T68i,
which had a 101x80 screen. Even if you haven't got a data plan, it
generates so little traffic that it won't cost you much.

It looks good but I found a major flaw yesterday when trying to use it to
find an alternative route when the Jubilee Line went down. As the site
does't give me the option to specify any journey details I couldn't tell it
to avoid the tube through Bermondsey and show me the alternative routes,
particularly buses.

Old November 2nd 10, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In uk.railway Roland Perry wrote:
What do you mean by "incredibly expensive"? When I looked at their price
list the other day, the worst package was £5 for 500 minutes (a month).

Which isn't very attractive compared with £5-10 for 1GB that you get from
mobile networks... use it for as many minutes as you like, in a much wider
selection of places. The wifi option only wins if you're going to download
a lot or need a fast connection.

Theo
Old November 2nd 10, 01:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 13:42:29 on Tue,
2 Nov 2010, Theo Markettos remarked:
What do you mean by "incredibly expensive"? When I looked at their price
list the other day, the worst package was £5 for 500 minutes (a month).

Which isn't very attractive compared with £5-10 for 1GB that you get from
mobile networks...

I use a 3G dongle by preference, but haven't found one as cheap as £5
for 1GB. Indeed, looking around just now they all appear to be £10 for
1GB, although you can get some deals at £20 for 3GB.

use it for as many minutes as you like, in a much wider
selection of places. The wifi option only wins if you're going to download
a lot or need a fast connection.

Wifi also wins where there isn't mobile coverage!
Old November 2nd 10, 03:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2 Nov, 10:25, CJB wrote:

Expensive when compared to free. CJB.

I get unlimited Openzone access for free as part of my BT home
broadband subscription.

Ian
Old November 2nd 10, 03:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 09:15:15 -0700 (PDT), The Real Doctor
wrote:

Expensive when compared to free. CJB.

I get unlimited Openzone access for free as part of my BT home
broadband subscription.

and T-Mobile customers get 300 roaming minutes a month with some
mobile data packages