Old December 10th 03, 12:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

Default Oystercards at shared LU/NR stations

I've read on here that some shared Tube/National rail stations will be
issuing Oystercards soon. Have they started doing this yet? My
nearest is Richmond - does this sell them yet? Also, will they be a
tfl issued ticket or a South West trains one? I ask, because there is
a differnce in price (5% discount on a SWT annual).

My annual runs out in a few weeks and would rather get an Oyster to
replace it.

Thanks

Old December 10th 03, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"K" wrote in message
I've read on here that some shared Tube/National rail stations will be
issuing Oystercards soon. Have they started doing this yet? My
nearest is Richmond - does this sell them yet? Also, will they be a
tfl issued ticket or a South West trains one? I ask, because there is
a differnce in price (5% discount on a SWT annual).

My annual runs out in a few weeks and would rather get an Oyster to
replace it.

Thanks

I was sent a letter last week by SWT reminding me about my annual season
ticket renewal (travelcard) - the letter specifically said that oystercards
were not a national rail product and would not be issued.

nick

Old December 10th 03, 04:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:18:03 -0000, "Nick"
wrote:

I was sent a letter last week by SWT reminding me about my annual season
ticket renewal (travelcard) - the letter specifically said that oystercards
were not a national rail product and would not be issued.

Yes, I got that also. I read on here about Richmond station issuing
Oystercards - AFAIK Richmond is operated by SWT - hence my question.
Old December 10th 03, 05:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:10:39 +0000, K wrote:

I've read on here that some shared Tube/National rail stations will be
issuing Oystercards soon. Have they started doing this yet? My
nearest is Richmond - does this sell them yet? Also, will they be a
tfl issued ticket or a South West trains one? I ask, because there is
a differnce in price (5% discount on a SWT annual).

Won't this depend upon who "owns" the ticket office? There might be
Tube/National services from one station, but surely only ONE body -
TfL or a TOC - owns the ticket office where there is only one?

Some may have both: Walthamstow Central, for example, has a WAGN
ticket office at street level, and a Tube one downstairs at the
Victoria line entrance.

Cheers,

Jason.
Old December 10th 03, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I was sent a letter last week by SWT reminding me about my annual season
ticket renewal (travelcard) - the letter specifically said that

oystercards
were not a national rail product and would not be issued.

Yes, I got that also. I read on here about Richmond station issuing
Oystercards - AFAIK Richmond is operated by SWT - hence my question.

I would imagine it would go along the lines of what type of ticket stock
Season Tickets are issued on at the moment: LUL or NR.

Richmond ticket office is indeed operated by SWT, so I imagine that they
would continue to issue Mag. Stripe Seasons as a matter of course..

As has been said here before, SWT have no interest in Oystercards. It may be
of benefit to their customers, but it just gives them a headache having to
provide portable readers etc. and having to deal with different systems.

If they had a choice in the matter they would choose to give you a magnetic
stripe ticket. As they are a National Rail company I suspect that in fact
they don't have a choice in the matter, and will be bound to continue
supplying magnetic stripe tickets until such time as all other TOCs adopt
Oyster (i.e. very unlikely).

I suspect that the only reason they are having their ticket offices fitted
out to cope with Oystercards is to meet their obligations to LUL, and to be
able to sell LUL tickets to LUL customers who have Oystercards.

If you buy a season ticket from Richmond you will undoubtedly be classed as
a SWT customer as opposed to an LUL customer.

Colin

Old December 10th 03, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

[...]

Richmond ticket office IS being equipped to issue Oystercards, and will
doing so in the near future, as will Wimbledon. The delay in starting at
all joint LUL/TOC stations a result of APTIS being upgraded, where LUL
system was built for the purpose, which has proved difficult adding new
technology to a 20 year old system.
--
Martin Summerfield
Richmond Travel Centre SWT

Everything I write are my own thoughts and not anyone else's.
Old December 10th 03, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Martin Summerfield" wrote in message

Richmond ticket office IS being equipped to issue Oystercards, and will
doing so in the near future, as will Wimbledon. The delay in starting at
all joint LUL/TOC stations a result of APTIS being upgraded, where LUL
system was built for the purpose, which has proved difficult adding new
technology to a 20 year old system.
--
Martin Summerfield
Richmond Travel Centre SWT

Everything I write are my own thoughts and not anyone else's.

Fair enough - I'm happy to eat my words!

Am I right to assume it is only TfL Travelcards and TfL tube tickets that
you will be issuing on Oystercards?

Will, for example, a non-travelcard season ticket to Waterloo or Reading
still be on cardboard?

Colin

Old December 11th 03, 07:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:42:10 +0000, Martin Summerfield wrote:

Richmond ticket office IS being equipped to issue Oystercards, and will
doing so in the near future, as will Wimbledon. The delay in starting at
all joint LUL/TOC stations a result of APTIS being upgraded, where LUL
system was built for the purpose, which has proved difficult adding new
technology to a 20 year old system.

Shouldn't that IS equipped, after all the date was end october, don't tell
me its been screwed up again! How long did everyone know about the
introduction of oystercards?

Steve
Old December 11th 03, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Colin
writes

"Martin Summerfield" wrote in message

Richmond ticket office IS being equipped to issue Oystercards, and will
doing so in the near future, as will Wimbledon. The delay in starting at
all joint LUL/TOC stations a result of APTIS being upgraded, where LUL
system was built for the purpose, which has proved difficult adding new
technology to a 20 year old system.
--
Martin Summerfield
Richmond Travel Centre SWT

Everything I write are my own thoughts and not anyone else's.

Fair enough - I'm happy to eat my words!

Am I right to assume it is only TfL Travelcards and TfL tube tickets that
you will be issuing on Oystercards?

Will, for example, a non-travelcard season ticket to Waterloo or Reading
still be on cardboard?

Colin

From the start only Travelcard zonal tickets will be on Oyster, as well
as Prepay for the LUL & Bus
--
Martin Summerfield
Old December 11th 03, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Steve Peake
writes
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:42:10 +0000, Martin Summerfield wrote:

Richmond ticket office IS being equipped to issue Oystercards, and will
doing so in the near future, as will Wimbledon. The delay in starting at
all joint LUL/TOC stations a result of APTIS being upgraded, where LUL
system was built for the purpose, which has proved difficult adding new
technology to a 20 year old system.

Shouldn't that IS equipped, after all the date was end october, don't tell
me its been screwed up again! How long did everyone know about the
introduction of oystercards?

Steve

Can't blame the TOCs for that directly, there has been loads of software
problems between LUL Oyster system and the 20 year old APTIS machines.

--
Martin Summerfield