Old July 13th 03, 08:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oystercards on DLR

The handheld scanners were only distributed to few PSA's a fortnight
ago. The remaining PSA's will receive it once they have received a full
feedback and satisfied with thier operating performance.
--
Many Thanks

Gunjani
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
--

In article ,
says...

Highlights of the discussion:

A few (a very small number) of PSAs currently have handheld Oystercard
readers. One of the two PSAs I met tonight had one, and I was the first
non-Staff Oystercard holder he had encountered. He scanned my
Oystercard, and it worked OK. However, he commented that he has had some
problems scanning Staff Oystercards.

Theoretically all DLR PSAs have had a day's training on the handheld
reader. However (inevitably) some were on leave or off sick when the
training took place and (even more inevitably) some of the handheld
readers have been issued to PSAs who missed the day's training...

Both PSAs admitted that PSAs without a handheld reader will currently
take an Oystercard on trust, provided it's shown with a Photocard.
However, they seemed sure that the rollout of handheld readers to PSAs
will be progressing fairly rapidly.

Old July 15th 03, 07:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Joe Patrick writes

I was wondering that when the Prepay Oyster Cards come in will they
put in readers (like ones Between the Chiltern & Tube Platforms)
between Amersham & Harrow at DLR Stations

That would be the logical solution - in much the same way that DLR used
ticket validators when it originally opened. IIRC it's also effectively
what will happen at any ungated LU station, or a station where the gates
will be left open for parts of the day.

or would they be paid for when the PSA scans it.

I doubt it.

--
Dave
Old July 25th 03, 10:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MJ MJ is offline

Gunjani wrote in message om...
The handheld scanners were only distributed to few PSA's a fortnight
ago. The remaining PSA's will receive it once they have received a full
feedback and satisfied with thier operating performance.

All PSA's now appear to be equipped with the handheld scanners. I have
had my Oyster card checked twice with these machines with no problems.

The handheld devices do seem particularly bulky and (presumably) heavy
though. Are they capable of anything other than scanning Oysters?

MJ
Old July 30th 03, 10:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MJ MJ is offline

Gunjani wrote in message om...

Not all PSA are equipped with the scanners (they're called Prestige
Scanners). Only a dozen have been distributed, the remaining ones are on
'soak' test.

It looks that way. Having had my Oystercard checked with a Scanner
five times in succession I had assumed that the machines had been
universally distributed however the PSA's on my most recent travels
have all been 'scannerless'.

Interstingly the present scanners will be replaced by a more advanced
model at the end of the year (hence the delay in distributing the
present ones ). These scanners will allow customers to add on credits,
change thier zones etc. These are alledgedl more bulkier and cumbersome.

Bulkier? Just how much are these guys expected to carry?

Accounting that there is an average of 2 minutes per stop, can u imagine
the stress the PSA will be put under when authenticaticating all these
oyster cards and delivering a timely service.

I guess that due to the ability to download and review information
from the scanners it will increase pressure on the PSA's to carry out
ticket checks on as many trips as possible. I assume that their
present performance is assessed by means of 'mystery shopper' type
surveys. The new system can allow 100% monitoring of their ticket
sales/inspections.

At least it should be easier and quicker to issue tickets
electronically rather than using pen and paper as at present.

MJ
Old July 30th 03, 09:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
says...
Gunjani wrote in message om...

[...]

The 'Oyster' scheme does not make it any quicker on DLR, because
currently it only replaces the annual/monthly tickets. The weekly &
daily ones will still need to be issued (pen & paper). So instead of
visually inspecting a season ticket( 1 sec job), PSA's have to scan it
in (approx 2-3min job). Easier & quicker... No chance.

There is slight delay on issuing these scanners to all PSA... On the
grapevine it may have something to do with the fact DLR will be loosing
a lot of revenue thru this scheme due to time consumption on
inspecting/scanning (it took them 12 months to realise this!!) and also
who will cover thea additional costs e.g utility belts,
breakages/losses. batteries etc
Seeing that Ken Livingstone has just done a U-turn on DLR's 3 carriage
vehicles development, what's the likelihood of him on investing more
money on this scheme??

Incidently can anyone help me on the following:
What is the UK or EU working time law/byelaw/ruling/directive
on paid/unpaid teabreaks at one's workplace especially in the railway
industry.

I ask this because at my previuos employment we were entitled to a
morning & afternoon paid 10min tea-break and 1 hour unpaid lunch-break.
But in the railway industry its reported that all employees are entitled
to 20 minutes unpaid break AFTER working for 6 hours... Is this true,
but more importantly acceptable?

--
Many Thanks

Gunjani
Without you, someone may not be living.

Old July 30th 03, 11:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Gunjani writes
Incidently can anyone help me on the following:
What is the UK or EU working time law/byelaw/ruling/directive on
paid/unpaid teabreaks at one's workplace especially in the railway
industry.

I ask this because at my previuos employment we were entitled to a
morning & afternoon paid 10min tea-break and 1 hour unpaid lunch-break.
But in the railway industry its reported that all employees are
entitled to 20 minutes unpaid break AFTER working for 6 hours... Is
this true, but more importantly acceptable?

Yep, that's the minimum requirement of the European Working Time
Directive.

--
Dave
Old July 30th 03, 11:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Gunjani" wrote in message
m...
The 'Oyster' scheme does not make it any quicker on DLR, because
currently it only replaces the annual/monthly tickets. The weekly &
daily ones will still need to be issued (pen & paper). So instead of
visually inspecting a season ticket( 1 sec job), PSA's have to scan it
in (approx 2-3min job). Easier & quicker... No chance.

How could it possibly take 2 to 3 minutes to scan an Oyster card?

Old July 31st 03, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Gunjani wrote:

3)the customer (passenger) has to remove the card from his wallet

Wrong!