Old November 14th 10, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Was this weekend some kind of record?

Three whole lines closed for the whole weekend is far worse than I
remember (outside Christmas and Easter).

Was it?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old November 14th 10, 07:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

Three whole lines closed for the whole weekend is far worse than I
remember (outside Christmas and Easter).

I can't think of a worse planned closure, other than over the holiday
periods you mention.

Old November 14th 10, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 14, 7:24*pm, wrote:
Three whole lines closed for the whole weekend is far worse than I
remember (outside Christmas and Easter).

Was it?

I dunno - but central London late morning all weekend was pandaemonium
above ground owing to various memorial services. That didn't help.
Old November 14th 10, 10:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 14, 7:24*pm, wrote:
Three whole lines closed for the whole weekend is far worse than I
remember (outside Christmas and Easter).

Was it?

My travels this weekend did take in central London but didn't involve
the Tube, so I can't provide a personal observation.

However whilst it was undoubtedly a 'busy' weekend in terms of LU
closures I don't think it was unprecedented at all.

For the record this is what the situation is/was:

-----
Jubilee line - full line closure
Victoria line - full line closure
Circle line - no service
H&C line - no service Edgware Road to Barking
Met line - no service Baker St to Aldgate

Away from central London:
Piccadilly line - closed between Acton Town and Uxbridge
District line - closed between Turnham Green and Ealing Broadway
-----

The reason why I listed the Circle line as 'no service' as opposed to
'full line closure' is that I don't really regard the Circle line as a
distinct line - instead it's more of a service pattern on the sub-
surface railway (SSR). The section of the Circle line's route that had
no service was Edgware Road to Tower Hill, so that's something like
half-ish of the Circle.

I think there have been previous weekends where the whole Jubilee and
whole Vic line have been shut, along with partial closure of the SSR
Circle and suspension of Circle line service - if not quite that then
with the Jubilee only running between Stanmore and Wembley Park or
something of that ilk.

Of course I imagine that the Northern, Central and Bakerloo lines were
v. busy. As it was Remembrance Sunday, then of course there were also
the road closures on and around Whitehall both yesterday and today.
Inevitably this results in many bus diversions and obviously also some
knock-on traffic effects, which would have made things more difficult
for some people who were trying to re-route via the bus network.
Old November 14th 10, 10:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote
The section of the Circle line's route that had no service was Edgware
Road to Tower Hill, so that's something like half-ish of the Circle.

Whereas the section of the Circle line's route that *had* a service was, er,
Edgware Road to Tower Hill (except for one little bit!)

Old November 14th 10, 10:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 14, 11:25*pm, "John Salmon" wrote:

"Mizter T" *wrote

The section of the Circle line's route that had no service was Edgware
Road to Tower Hill, so that's something like half-ish of the Circle.

Whereas the section of the Circle line's route that *had* a service was, er,
Edgware Road to Tower Hill [...]

Ha! Yes, I should have thought about that a bit more - the bit with no
SSR service at all was Edgware Road to Tower Hill via KXSP/ Liverpool
Street.

[...] (except for one little bit!)

I can't quite fathom that comment out - unless it's that you're
looking at the map on the TfL 'Service update now' page [1], which
confusingly doesn't show the Circle line coloured in between...

* Temple - Blackfriars - Mansion House --- presumably the result of
some of logic in the system that suggests, as Blackfriars station is
currently closed till late 2011, that the line doesn't need to be
shown as closed because the station in the middle is already shown as
closed

* High Street Ken - Notting Hill Gate --- though I can't hazard a
guess as to why this might be.

(And of course on this map 'coloured in' means it's not working.)

-----
[1] http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...e/default.html
Old November 14th 10, 10:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote
"John Salmon" wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote

The section of the Circle line's route that had no service was Edgware
Road to Tower Hill, so that's something like half-ish of the Circle.

Whereas the section of the Circle line's route that *had* a service was,
er, Edgware Road to Tower Hill [...]

Ha! Yes, I should have thought about that a bit more - the bit with no SSR
service at all was Edgware Road to Tower Hill via KXSP/ Liverpool Street.

[...] (except for one little bit!)

I can't quite fathom that comment out - unless it's that you're looking at
the map on the TfL 'Service update now' page [1], which confusingly
doesn't show the Circle line coloured in between...

No, I was actually referring to HSK - Gloucester Road. But perhaps we
should both have additionally been considering the section of Circle line
that serves Hammersmith. My brain still doesn't think about the teacup (or
whatever) bit as being really part of the Circle.

I think I'll give up now and have a coffee....

Old November 15th 10, 07:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
15:18:29 on Sun, 14 Nov 2010, Mizter T remarked:
For the record this is what the situation is/was:

-----
Jubilee line - full line closure
Victoria line - full line closure
Circle line - no service
H&C line - no service Edgware Road to Barking
Met line - no service Baker St to Aldgate

So the only services running at Kings Cross were Picc and Northern?