Old November 16th 10, 09:50 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Waterloo concourse ideas - NR press release

On Nov 16, 6:25*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote:

Are there still some shops/kiosks as you go through the barriers, or were
those a casualty of the automatic barriering? And if so, will they be
kept. Those are the only ones I used to buy from, and I wouldn't be very
impressed with having to detour upstairs.

PS to earlier reply, the NR 'stations made easy' is relevant to this. * IF
it is correct, there is only one food outlet in the _centre_ of the
concourse. *So posters worried about the loss of catering en route to their
trains seem to be 'misremembering' the current situation...

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/statio.../WAT/plan.html

See my reply to your other post - whilst that appears accurate in
terms of the kiosks in amongst the breaks in the gateline array, I'm
not so sure there's only one food and/or drink outlet in the centre of
the concourse - I was there a little earlier this evening, there's one
shown on the 'stations made easy' above but I'm pretty sure there's at
least one other, however but I wasn't really paying them much
attention. What can be said is that the above map/ diagram doesn't
illustrate quite how much space the retail outlets that exist on the
concourse take up.

Old November 17th 10, 08:20 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Bruce wrote in
:

The scheme looks good. It does not detract from the fine architecture
of the listed building ...

I agree. The removal of the retail outlets between the platforms and the
concourse (in order to install the ticket barriers) has given a new open
feel to the concourse, and the proposed balcony will not affect that.
Contrast that with the western side of Victoria, where the platforms are
buried under the shopping centre.

Also, looking at the current catering outlets I see plenty of people
sitting down and eating or drinking, so not everyone rushes through (like
me) and grabs a coffee to go. It's never going to be the Ritz, but there's
a market for 'utility eating' and there isn't a lot of competition in the
immediate area outside the station.

Peter

--
| Peter Campbell Smith | Epsom | UK |
Old November 17th 10, 09:01 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message , at 09:20:23 on Wed, 17
Nov 2010, Peter Campbell Smith remarked:

The removal of the retail outlets between the platforms and the
concourse (in order to install the ticket barriers) has given a new open
feel to the concourse,

Hold on... someone reported that those retail outlets were still there!
Old November 17th 10, 09:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 09:20:23 on Wed, 17 Nov
2010, Peter Campbell Smith remarked:

The removal of the retail outlets between the platforms and the
concourse (in order to install the ticket barriers) has given a new open
feel to the concourse,

Hold on... someone reported that those retail outlets were still there!

I think Peter's referring to the situation before the gateline was installed
when there were many more, that obstructed the view of the platforms. A
significant proportion were removed and some were relocated to get down to
the current number.

Paul

Old November 18th 10, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 09:20:23AM +0000, Peter Campbell Smith wrote:

I agree. The removal of the retail outlets between the platforms and the
concourse (in order to install the ticket barriers) has given a new open
feel to the concourse, and the proposed balcony will not affect that.
Contrast that with the western side of Victoria, where the platforms are
buried under the shopping centre.

Not that it really matters, as the *concourse* where you spend far more
time is still a nice big space. Platforms for trains are pretty much
always only announced when the train is ready to start boarding, so
passengers will hardly ever spend any time on the platform itself other
than that taken to walk from the barrier to the train.

Despite the shopping centre, I far prefer the western side of Victoria
to the eastern. It feels like there's more room on the concourse, even
though I doubt that there really is any more room.

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

Irregular English:
you have anecdotes; they have data; I have proof