Old November 28th 10, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Tube Strike - Sun 28 (evening of) and Mon 29 Nov (all day)

On Nov 28, 12:37*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:

How does one find out about minimum connection times between London
termini? I can't find any mention of it in the National Rail
Timetable, nor on the NRE website.

In the preamble to the NRTT, page 44

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%...nformation.pdf

Thanks - I should have known that - it's 38 mins from St Pancras to
Euston - just beyond the 35 minute time that would be available, if
everything ran on time.

Old November 28th 10, 12:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 12:37:19 on
Sun, 28 Nov 2010, Paul Scott remarked:
How does one find out about minimum connection times between London
termini? I can't find any mention of it in the National Rail
Timetable, nor on the NRE website.

In the preamble to the NRTT, page 44

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%.../Commercial%20
Information.pdf

What a star! Unfortunately it says 38 minutes, which is 4 minutes too
long; on the other hand it's for a tube transfer, and the ticketing
websites are ignoring it because they are offering a 34 minute transfer.

And on the other other hand... they have 30 minutes for St Pancras to
Kings Cross.
Old November 28th 10, 12:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

On Nov 28, 12:58*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
04:23:38 on Sun, 28 Nov 2010, Mizter T remarked:

if it's actually going to be possible
to get on the TL train - I dare say it could be absolutely heaving.

But surely some people will be getting out at LB. Getting on an earlier
train at Peckham Rye (my plan B) would be more difficult I think.

It probably wouldn't, because it would be coming from a different
route which won't involve any diversion from LU for its regular
punters in Bromley, Catford etc, unlike getting from London Bridge to
Euston, for which I agree that the Thameslink train might be mobbed.

From Elephant & Castle, the Peckham one might start getting mobbed,
but you'd already be on.

How does one find out about minimum connection times between London
termini? I can't find any mention of it in the National Rail
Timetable, nor on the NRE website.

They are published I believe, hoping someone would jump in...

Thinking laterally, I just tried booking a ticket from London Bridge to
Liverpool, and it uses the 9.32 arrival at St Pancras, plus a Tube to
Euston to catch the 10.07 to Liverpool.

It is a possible route, but I've been at London Bridge so many times
with the Thameslink trains already expected fifteen minutes late.
Being at London Bridge for the 0909 and finding it delayed doesn't
leave much flexibility.

Also, I dare say the passenger in question may only have a ticket from
Euston to Liverpool,

They could have an "and connections" ticket.

in which case one is into the slightly hazy
territory of whether or not a journey involving multiple tickets still
constitutes one journey as per the NR CoC (and hence connections
should be honoured if the requisite time for transfers is adhered to).

This has been discussed many times, but as there *are* rules for whether
you can use two tickets for one journey, and this journey qualifies
under those rules, I'm sure it's regarded as one.

Old November 28th 10, 12:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Nov 28, 12:38*pm, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

The Northern Line has tended to run an OK service on strike days but it
will be busy at either Charing Cross, Waterloo or London Bridge.

TfL have already announced that Charing Cross tube station will be
closed throughout the whole of Monday. They expect all lines except the
Circle to be running in Zone 1, so changing to the Northern at Waterloo
East might be an option, but the crowds will be horrendous and TfL's
plans could change (even though I agree that past experience suggests
that some sort of service will be maintained on the Northern).

Good point re CX Tube station closure! That info is contained in this
advice document (currently dated 6am 26 Nov):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-28-29-nov.pdf

Worth noting that Embankment station will be open however - though
again crowds will be horrendous there too.

I basically concur with the advice to head for Charing Cross and then
assess options from there.

Me too. If the buses are impossible and walking is not an option,
there's always the option of a taxi - on strike days, it's common for
people in the taxi queue to ask if anyone wants to share a cab to a
major destination such as Euston.

Also, under 'Taxis'...
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/17529.aspx

---quote---
Between 06:30 and 10:30 on Monday 29 November 2010 taxi drivers will
be operating a marshalled taxi service for central London destinations
at five major London rail termini - Waterloo, Liverpool St, King's
Cross, Charing Cross, and Marylebone.
---/quote---

....which might make the prospect of catching a cab in the midst of the
chaos a bit less daunting!
Old November 28th 10, 12:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
, at
05:02:29 on Sun, 28 Nov 2010, Mizter T remarked:
How does one find out about minimum connection times between London
termini? I can't find any mention of it in the National Rail
Timetable, nor on the NRE website.

In the preamble to the NRTT, page 44

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%...nformation.pdf

Thanks - I should have known that - it's 38 mins from St Pancras to
Euston - just beyond the 35 minute time that would be available, if
everything ran on time.

The actual time is a fiction (firstly it's by tube, secondly we know the
walk is less than 10 minutes, and thirdly the journey planner allows the
connection despite the 4 minute shortcoming).

What I was hoping for was that a potentially missed connection would be
officially "protected" as a result of the recommended time being 34
minutes or less (but it's not).

Old November 28th 10, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Nov 28, 1:09*pm, MIG wrote:

On Nov 28, 12:58*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
04:23:38 on Sun, 28 Nov 2010, Mizter T remarked:

if it's actually going to be possible
to get on the TL train - I dare say it could be absolutely heaving.

But surely some people will be getting out at LB. Getting on an earlier
train at Peckham Rye (my plan B) would be more difficult I think.

It probably wouldn't, because it would be coming from a different
route which won't involve any diversion from LU for its regular
punters in Bromley, Catford etc, unlike getting from London Bridge to
Euston, for which I agree that the Thameslink train might be mobbed.

From Elephant & Castle, the Peckham one might start getting mobbed,
but you'd already be on.

Basically agreed - though I'd think some punters who normally head in
on trains to a London termini (London Bridge, Victoria etc) then Tube
it onwards likely divert on to Thameslink, but whilst quite poss
somewhat busier than normal (and they're fairly busy anyway) you'd be
able to get on the train at Peckham Rye (caveat - I can offer no
guarantees!).
Old November 28th 10, 12:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Nov 28, 12:28*pm, Tim Watts wrote:

On 26/11/10 00:54, Mizter T wrote:

It's that time again folks:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/17529.aspx

I'm going to post this as a quasi public service announcement if for
no other reason than having ballsed up the dates of the strike the
last time round I wish to demonstrate that I'm not completely
calendrical-phobic (to coin a particularly dodgy phrase!).

I'm sure there's a business opportunity here for canoeists on the
river or some such - of course if it gets really cold then skate hire
might be the thing.

Sorry if I've missed this:

does the strike affect the London Overground, specifically Clapham Jnc
to Kensington Olympia?

No, LO will be running, though will be busier than normal as people
divert away from the Tube network. There may well be delays due to of
slow boarding because of mass of numbers on the LO network. Note that
stations managed by LU where LO calls might be affected.
Old November 28th 10, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

On Nov 28, 1:21*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Nov 28, 1:09*pm, MIG wrote:

On Nov 28, 12:58*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
04:23:38 on Sun, 28 Nov 2010, Mizter T remarked:

if it's actually going to be possible
to get on the TL train - I dare say it could be absolutely heaving.

But surely some people will be getting out at LB. Getting on an earlier
train at Peckham Rye (my plan B) would be more difficult I think.

It probably wouldn't, because it would be coming from a different
route which won't involve any diversion from LU for its regular
punters in Bromley, Catford etc, unlike getting from London Bridge to
Euston, for which I agree that the Thameslink train might be mobbed.

From Elephant & Castle, the Peckham one might start getting mobbed,
but you'd already be on.

Basically agreed - though I'd think some punters who normally head in
on trains to a London termini (London Bridge, Victoria etc) then Tube
it onwards likely divert on to Thameslink, but whilst quite poss
somewhat busier than normal (and they're fairly busy anyway) you'd be
able to get on the train at Peckham Rye (caveat - I can offer no
guarantees!).

A fair cop. I was indeed thinking of going that way, when I'd more
oftenly go via London Bridge or Victoria.
Old November 28th 10, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 28/11/10 13:29, Mizter T wrote:

On Nov 28, 12:28 pm, Tim wrote:

[...]

OK - thanks for that. I can Boris Bike but SWMBO works in Hammersmith so
a slightly tortuous route to Ken Olympia and she can do a 25 min walk...

Either that or a No 9 from CHX to Hammersmith but I saw the scrum there
last strike day - had a contingent of police on duty!

--
Tim Watts
Old November 28th 10, 01:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
OK - thanks for that. I can Boris Bike but SWMBO works in Hammersmith so
a slightly tortuous route to Ken Olympia and she can do a 25 min walk...

I'm curious as to what the demand for Boris Bikes has been like on
strike days?

-roy