Old November 28th 10, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Tube Strike - Sun 28 (evening of) and Mon 29 Nov (all day)

In message
, at
03:19:48 on Sun, 28 Nov 2010, Mizter T remarked:
However in this case it's entirely dependent on whether or not the
ticket is for travel from Plumstead, in which case cross-London
transfer would be included, or from Euston, in which case it obviously
wouldn't be.

Is it an "and connections" ticket, or will they be buying a walk-up on
the day? You might expect (would you get) some flexibility on a strike
day.

Anyway, trying again, using the National Rail planner, and aiming for
SPILL before 9.32, it suggests going via London Bridge and Peckham Rye
(two tickets required - or would a Travelcard cope).

Finally, it's only half a mile walk from Cannon St to City Thameslink
station.

Old November 28th 10, 11:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Nov 28, 11:50*am, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
,
at 02:34:55 on Sun, 28 Nov 2010, MIG
remarked:

I'd suggest taking Thameslink from London Bridge to St Pancras, then
walking. The exit at St Pancras is on the west side of the station and
there's a back-street route to Euston.

The first Thameslink train to do the London Bridge route is due at St
Pancras at 0932 I think, so even if it's on time, that's cutting it
fine for the 1007 from Euston. *I wouldn't fancy depending on that.

I didn't realise the earliest train was that late in the morning - I'm
sure I've done Gatwick-London Bridge (then change for Waterloo East)
earlier than that.

There are trains earlier in the morning - the last is d0724, a0739 -
the problem is that basically there's no space for Thameslink through
London Bridge during the height of the morning peak (TL trains up from
Brighton are routed through Tulse Hill, Herne Hill, E&C with some
making a stop at one or more of said stations).

The walk is half a mile (9 minutes), as the crow flies it's the same as
the entire length of the St Pancras double-shed. http://goo.gl/maps/Nx3i

Absolutely agreed it's not far at all - I've come off Eurostar and v.
easily made a connection out of Euston (on a separate AP ticket) with
something like 40 mins gap in the past - the issue is (a) if the TL
train is running late, and (b) if it's actually going to be possible
to get on the TL train - I dare say it could be absolutely heaving.

Looking at it from another angle: if the recommended minimum connection
between SPILL and Euston is 35 minutes or less, if the Thameslink
train's delayed, would they be permitted to travel on the next Liverpool
even with the AP ticket?

Regardless of the min connection time issues, TOCs might be being
flexible about such things given the strike, I dunno.

How does one find out about minimum connection times between London
termini? I can't find any mention of it in the National Rail
Timetable, nor on the NRE website.

Also, I dare say the passenger in question may only have a ticket from
Euston to Liverpool, in which case one is into the slightly hazy
territory of whether or not a journey involving multiple tickets still
constitutes one journey as per the NR CoC (and hence connections
should be honoured if the requisite time for transfers is adhered to).
Old November 28th 10, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 26/11/10 00:54, Mizter T wrote:
It's that time again folks:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/17529.aspx

I'm going to post this as a quasi public service announcement if for
no other reason than having ballsed up the dates of the strike the
last time round I wish to demonstrate that I'm not completely
calendrical-phobic (to coin a particularly dodgy phrase!).

I'm sure there's a business opportunity here for canoeists on the
river or some such - of course if it gets really cold then skate hire
might be the thing.

Sorry if I've missed this:

does the strike affect the London Overground, specifically Clampham Jnc
to Kensington Olympia?

Ta

--
Tim Watts
Old November 28th 10, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 28/11/2010 12:18, Roland Perry wrote:

Finally, it's only half a mile walk from Cannon St to City Thameslink
station.

But if you're trying to get from the (former) Southern region to St
Pancras, then there are two cases:

1. If luggage is an issue, then a half mile walk Cannon Street to City
Thameslink plus another walk from St Pancras to Euston seems to be a bit
problematic, and going to Charing Cross and taking a bus or taxi would
seem to be a better bet.

2. If luggage is not an issue, then walking 1.5 miles from Charing Cross
to Euston would probably be as quick as, if not quicker than, two walks
plus a Thameslink trip.
--
Jeremy Double {real address, include nospam}
Rail and transport photos at
Old November 28th 10, 11:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Mizter T" wrote in message

How does one find out about minimum connection times between London
termini? I can't find any mention of it in the National Rail
Timetable, nor on the NRE website.

In the preamble to the NRTT, page 44

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%...nformation.pdf

Paul S

Old November 28th 10, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

The Northern Line has tended to run an OK service on strike days but it
will be busy at either Charing Cross, Waterloo or London Bridge.

TfL have already announced that Charing Cross tube station will be
closed throughout the whole of Monday. They expect all lines except the
Circle to be running in Zone 1, so changing to the Northern at Waterloo
East might be an option, but the crowds will be horrendous and TfL's
plans could change (even though I agree that past experience suggests
that some sort of service will be maintained on the Northern).

I basically concur with the advice to head for Charing Cross and then
assess options from there.

Me too. If the buses are impossible and walking is not an option,
there's always the option of a taxi - on strike days, it's common for
people in the taxi queue to ask if anyone wants to share a cab to a
major destination such as Euston.

--
Paul Terry
Old November 28th 10, 11:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Nov 28, 12:18*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
,
at 03:19:48 on Sun, 28 Nov 2010, Mizter T remarked:

However in this case it's entirely dependent on whether or not the
ticket is for travel from Plumstead, in which case cross-London
transfer would be included, or from Euston, in which case it obviously
wouldn't be.

Is it an "and connections" ticket, or will they be buying a walk-up on
the day? You might expect (would you get) some flexibility on a strike
day.

We don't know - though the way the poster worded it makes me think the
ticket held is for Euston-Liverpool.

(Any 'intercity and connections' ticket for such a journey would
automatically be issued with the '+' cross-London transfer symbol,
even if the cross-London journey was possible via Thameslink.)

Anyway, trying again, using the National Rail planner, and aiming for
SPILL before 9.32, it suggests going via London Bridge and Peckham Rye
(two tickets required - or would a Travelcard cope).

Forcing the journey planner to route via City Thameslink / Farringdon,
right? Anyhow that's really starting to get round the houses! If the
desire was really to travel up on Thameslink, I'd think MIG's
suggestion of heading to Welling or wherever and catching a direct
train to Peckham Rye for a change onto TL would be the way to go.

(Re tickets for the round the houses route - an expensive Anytime aka
peak Travelcard would cope but that'd be unnecessarily excessive -
whilst separate tickets might technically be required, on a strike day
I don't for a moment think there'd be any problem using a Plumstead to
St Pancras ticket like this, likewise with Oyster PAYG - though at 1hr
16min it'd be getting a bit close to the 100 min max journey time for
a journey across 4 zones, but perhaps those time limits might be more
generous on strike days, I dunno.)

Finally, it's only half a mile walk from Cannon St to City Thameslink
station.

It is - though I'd still be a bit wary of relying on Thameslink on a
strike day, esp. during the rush hour, what with commuters rerouteing
- and again it's only a mile and a half from Charing Cross to Euston
(n.b. take a scarf!).
Old November 28th 10, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Nov 28, 12:04*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
03:02:09 on Sun, 28 Nov 2010, Mizter T remarked:

I'd suggest taking Thameslink from London Bridge to St Pancras, then
walking. The exit at St Pancras is on the west side of the station and
there's a back-street route to Euston.

The first Thameslink train to do the London Bridge route is due at St
Pancras at 0932 I think, so even if it's on time, that's cutting it
fine for the 1007 from Euston. *I wouldn't fancy depending on that.

And it'd quite possibly be absolutely heaving, with a departure time
at London Bridge of 0909

Everything's going to be heaving, but I would expect some people to be
getting off at LB, thus relieving the crowding a little.

I'd expect more wanting to get on though (seriously - what with re-
routing away from the Northern line - plus it's the first train in
almost two hours going north this way).
Old November 28th 10, 11:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
, at
04:23:38 on Sun, 28 Nov 2010, Mizter T remarked:

if it's actually going to be possible
to get on the TL train - I dare say it could be absolutely heaving.

But surely some people will be getting out at LB. Getting on an earlier
train at Peckham Rye (my plan B) would be more difficult I think.

How does one find out about minimum connection times between London
termini? I can't find any mention of it in the National Rail
Timetable, nor on the NRE website.

They are published I believe, hoping someone would jump in...

Thinking laterally, I just tried booking a ticket from London Bridge to
Liverpool, and it uses the 9.32 arrival at St Pancras, plus a Tube to
Euston to catch the 10.07 to Liverpool.

Also, I dare say the passenger in question may only have a ticket from
Euston to Liverpool,

They could have an "and connections" ticket.

in which case one is into the slightly hazy
territory of whether or not a journey involving multiple tickets still
constitutes one journey as per the NR CoC (and hence connections
should be honoured if the requisite time for transfers is adhered to).

This has been discussed many times, but as there *are* rules for whether
you can use two tickets for one journey, and this journey qualifies
under those rules, I'm sure it's regarded as one.
Old November 28th 10, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 12:34:40 on
Sun, 28 Nov 2010, Jeremy Double remarked:
On 28/11/2010 12:18, Roland Perry wrote:

Finally, it's only half a mile walk from Cannon St to City Thameslink
station.

But if you're trying to get from the (former) Southern region to St
Pancras, then there are two cases:

1. If luggage is an issue, then a half mile walk Cannon Street to City
Thameslink plus another walk from St Pancras to Euston seems to be a
bit problematic, and going to Charing Cross and taking a bus or taxi
would seem to be a better bet.

But the roads are likely to be jammed.

2. If luggage is not an issue, then walking 1.5 miles from Charing
Cross to Euston would probably be as quick as, if not quicker than, two
walks plus a Thameslink trip.

Jogging would be quickest, but that's not a criterion. I'm suggesting
two half-mile walks on relatively straight-forward and unlikely to be
crowded roads (in particular no major road junctions to cross). Versus a
mile and a half through the busiest part of Central London with many
large junctions and possibilities to get lost (unless you pick the very
busiest roads!) So I'm going for ease and reliability (plus a rest in
the middle).