Old November 27th 10, 11:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Tube Strike - Sun 28 (evening of) and Mon 29 Nov (all day)

On Nov 27, 11:44*pm, John Ray
wrote:
On 26/11/2010 00:54, Mizter T wrote:

It's that time again folks:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/17529.aspx

I'm going to post this as a quasi public service announcement if for
no other reason than having ballsed up the dates of the strike the
last time round I wish to demonstrate that I'm not completely
calendrical-phobic (to coin a particularly dodgy phrase!).

I'm sure there's a business opportunity here for canoeists on the
river or some such - of course if it gets really cold then skate hire
might be the thing.

A friend has to travel from Plumstead to Euston on Monday morning; she
has an Apex ticket for the 1007 to Liverpool Lime Street, so does not
want to miss that train.

It seems that she can take a Southeastern train to London Bridge and try
her luck on the Northern Line, or alternatively take a Southeastern
train to Charing Cross and go for the 91 bus. Does anybody have any
suggestions, please, as to the best course, and how much time should she
allow for the connection from London Bridge or Charing Cross to Euston?

For the previous strikes, the central London part of the Northern line
has run. If all else fails, it is only an approximately forty minute
walk from Charing Cross to Euston (straight up the Charing Cross and
Tottenham Court Roads then along the Euston Road). I would certainly
suggest taking taking the train to Charing Cross whatever route is
taken, as this station is much closer to Euston and walking may well
be as quick as taking the bus on a strike day.

Old November 28th 10, 12:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Nov 27, 11:44*pm, John Ray
wrote:
[snip]
A friend has to travel from Plumstead to Euston on Monday morning; she
has an Apex ticket for the 1007 to Liverpool Lime Street, so does not
want to miss that train.

It seems that she can take a Southeastern train to London Bridge and try
her luck on the Northern Line, or alternatively take a Southeastern
train to Charing Cross and go for the 91 bus. Does anybody have any
suggestions, please, as to the best course, and how much time should she
allow for the connection from London Bridge or Charing Cross to Euston?

It's just over one and a half miles from Charing X to Euston, so
walking isn't an outlandish option - it'd take half hour or so,
dependent on pace - see walkit.com/london (usual caveats about those
with impaired mobility apply). It's what I'd do.

Other bus alternatives are the 59, 68 or 168 from Waterloo to Euston.
The 91 might possibly be advantageous however as it starts at
Trafalgar Square/ Charing Cross, so there could be a better chance of
getting on it, I'm not sure though. The timing isn't great - she'll be
making this trip in the rush hour, and during strikes the buses are in
heavy demand at the London termini stations.

Others will (/may) be better able to advise about what Tube services
might be running, and to what extent, though I don't think anyone inc.
LU really know what will happen until the day, bearing in mind that
the picture can alter at shift change times too - all depends who and
how many staff turn up.

(Can't see that changing to the DLR at Woolwich Arsenal to get into
town would be any help, FWIW.)
Old November 28th 10, 08:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

On Nov 28, 1:05*am, Mizter T wrote:
On Nov 27, 11:44*pm, John Ray

wrote:
[snip]
[...]

I would probably go for walking from Charing Cross too. Barely
fifteen minutes longer than doing it by LU, taking into account
escalator, waiting and travel time on LU. Bear in mind that even when
services ran, some major LU stations were closed for a time. No point
in getting on if you can't get off.

It's a shame that all peak services from Woolwich to Blackheath have
been withdrawn, or I might have suggested changing there for Peckham
Rye and Thameslink to St Pancras.

Depending on where in Plumstead she starts from, maybe in reach of
Welling or somewhere with a direct service to Peckham Rye?
Old November 28th 10, 09:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 23:44:49
on Sat, 27 Nov 2010, John Ray
remarked:
A friend has to travel from Plumstead to Euston on Monday morning; she
has an Apex ticket for the 1007 to Liverpool Lime Street, so does not
want to miss that train.

It seems that she can take a Southeastern train to London Bridge and
try her luck on the Northern Line, or alternatively take a Southeastern
train to Charing Cross and go for the 91 bus. Does anybody have any
suggestions, please, as to the best course, and how much time should
she allow for the connection from London Bridge or Charing Cross to Euston?

I'd suggest taking Thameslink from London Bridge to St Pancras, then
walking. The exit at St Pancras is on the west side of the station and
there's a back-street route to Euston.
Old November 28th 10, 09:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

On Nov 28, 9:37*am, MIG wrote:
On Nov 28, 1:05*am, Mizter T wrote:

On Nov 27, 11:44*pm, John Ray

wrote:
[snip]
[...]

Just checked out some options on the latter route. I notice that NRE/
Traintimes don't always give the best connections. This is because
the formula is to get as far as possible before changing, ie to
Denmark Hill, where the connection time means that the St Pancras
train three minutes behind isn't a connection.

However, this ignores the fact that at the previous stop, Peckham Rye,
it's same platform and therefore zero connection time.

Old November 28th 10, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

On Nov 28, 10:14*am, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 23:44:49
on Sat, 27 Nov 2010, John Ray
remarked:

A friend has to travel from Plumstead to Euston on Monday morning; she
has an Apex ticket for the 1007 to Liverpool Lime Street, so does not
want to miss that train.

It seems that she can take a Southeastern train to London Bridge and
try her luck on the Northern Line, or alternatively take a Southeastern
train to Charing Cross and go for the 91 bus. Does anybody have any
suggestions, please, as to the best course, and how much time should
she allow for the connection from London Bridge or Charing Cross to Euston?

I'd suggest taking Thameslink from London Bridge to St Pancras, then
walking. The exit at St Pancras is on the west side of the station and
there's a back-street route to Euston.

The first Thameslink train to do the London Bridge route is due at St
Pancras at 0932 I think, so even if it's on time, that's cutting it
fine for the 1007 from Euston. I wouldn't fancy depending on that.
Old November 28th 10, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Nov 28, 10:34*am, MIG wrote:

[...]

And it'd quite possibly be absolutely heaving, with a departure time
at London Bridge of 0909 - the next one (d0946, a1003) would be too
late. I'd steer well clear of it too!
Old November 28th 10, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Nov 28, 10:10*am, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 17:05:29 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

On Nov 27, 11:44 pm, John Ray
wrote:
[snip]
[...]

The Northern Line has tended to run an OK service on strike days but it
will be busy at either Charing Cross, Waterloo or London Bridge. *I am
not sure I would necessarily rely on it.

I basically concur with the advice to head for Charing Cross and then
assess options from there. Walking is certainly viable unless the person
is laden with luggage when it may well be a tedious chore.

Charing Cross walking map here

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...lking-sept2010...

To add to the options I would say that the 24 and 29 from opposite South
Africa House at Trafalgar Square (3-4 mins from the front of Charing
Cross Stn) are an additional option to get as far as Warren Street from
where Euston is eminently walkable. The 29 starts at Trafalgar Square
and is a bendy bus so there is a decent chance of getting on. *The 24 is
busier but nonetheless offers an option too.

Not sure if you friend has an Oyster card but if not they will need to
buy their bus ticket from a machine at the stop before boarding any bus
in the Central area - fare is 2 cash.

Spider map for Charing Cross including bus stop locations here

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...g-sept2010.pdf

Stop F for the 91
Stop C for the 24 and 29.

^^^ That's a link to the CX walking map again (very easily done!) -
here's the bus spider map for CX:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...squad-2048.pdf

Re the bus fare - this got brought up recently on uk.railway - my
reckoning is that *if* a National Rail ticket includes a cross-London
tube transfer (i.e. it features the '+' symbol/ Maltese cross in the
route field) then on a Tube strike day it should be valid for travel
on the buses in order to make the transfer between the relevant London
termini.

However in this case it's entirely dependent on whether or not the
ticket is for travel from Plumstead, in which case cross-London
transfer would be included, or from Euston, in which case it obviously
wouldn't be.
Old November 28th 10, 10:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
, at
02:34:55 on Sun, 28 Nov 2010, MIG
remarked:
I'd suggest taking Thameslink from London Bridge to St Pancras, then
walking. The exit at St Pancras is on the west side of the station and
there's a back-street route to Euston.

The first Thameslink train to do the London Bridge route is due at St
Pancras at 0932 I think, so even if it's on time, that's cutting it
fine for the 1007 from Euston. I wouldn't fancy depending on that.

I didn't realise the earliest train was that late in the morning - I'm
sure I've done Gatwick-London Bridge (then change for Waterloo East)
earlier than that.

The walk is half a mile (9 minutes), as the crow flies it's the same as
the entire length of the St Pancras double-shed. http://goo.gl/maps/Nx3i

Looking at it from another angle: if the recommended minimum connection
between SPILL and Euston is 35 minutes or less, if the Thameslink
train's delayed, would they be permitted to travel on the next Liverpool
even with the AP ticket?
Old November 28th 10, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
, at
03:02:09 on Sun, 28 Nov 2010, Mizter T remarked:
I'd suggest taking Thameslink from London Bridge to St Pancras, then
walking. The exit at St Pancras is on the west side of the station and
there's a back-street route to Euston.

The first Thameslink train to do the London Bridge route is due at St
Pancras at 0932 I think, so even if it's on time, that's cutting it
fine for the 1007 from Euston. *I wouldn't fancy depending on that.

And it'd quite possibly be absolutely heaving, with a departure time
at London Bridge of 0909

Everything's going to be heaving, but I would expect some people to be
getting off at LB, thus relieving the crowding a little.