Old December 14th 10, 09:41 PM
DUS DUS is offline
Junior Member

Default Annual season tix: how will I get my gold card?

Hi,

I am planning to use the tfl website to top up my oyster card with an annual season ticket before 31st December. 2 questions:

1/ Is it correct that purchasing an annual season ticket for zones 1-4 entitles me to a free Gold Card?

2/ If I top up over the internet, how will I get my Gold Card? I read itīs issued on a separate paper ticket only, so how will we internet users get hold of it? Will I have to go to a station and ask for it? Will it be posted to my registered address?

Does anyone know?

Cheers and best
DUS

Old December 15th 10, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
DUS wrote:

1/ Is it correct that purchasing an annual season ticket for zones 1-4
entitles me to a free Gold Card?

Technically the season ticket *is* a Gold Card (but in the case of a
season ticket on Oyster you are issued with a separate, paper, Gold
Record Card)

2/ If I top up over the internet, how will I get my Gold Card? I read
itīs issued on a separate paper ticket only, so how will we internet
users get hold of it? Will I have to go to a station and ask for it?
Will it be posted to my registered address?

AIUI the Gold Record Card will be posted to you. But the lack of
information on the web is rather disappointing.

-roy
Old December 15th 10, 06:18 PM
DUS DUS is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Badami View Post

AIUI the Gold Record Card will be posted to you. But the lack of
information on the web is rather disappointing.

-roy
Thanks roy. I hope you are right! :-)

DUS
Old December 15th 10, 09:26 PM
DUS DUS is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUS View Post
Thanks roy. I hope you are right! :-)

DUS
May I add one more question?

If I purchase the annual season ticket using the tfl website, will I automatically have all the Gold card benefits added to my oyster card?

If so, would I automatically get 34% off of my off-peak journeys outside the zones covered with my season ticket? In my case with a zones 1-4 season ticket, assuming I would make a short journey on NR within zone 5, would I pay just 86p rather than the regular 1,30? Is it really that simple? Hard to believe knowing TfL! ;-))

Cheers
DUS
Old December 16th 10, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"DUS" wrote:

DUS wrote:
Thanks roy. I hope you are right! :-)

May I add one more question?

If I purchase the annual season ticket using the tfl website, will I
automatically have all the Gold card benefits added to my oyster card?

AIUI, yes. You'll need to present the Gold Card record card when buying
GC-discounted paper tickets from the ticket office, and also show it when
your GC-discounted ticket(s) is(/are) inspected too.

If so, would I automatically get 34% off of my off-peak journeys outside
the zones covered with my season ticket? In my case with a zones 1-4
season ticket, assuming I would make a short journey on NR within zone
5, would I pay just 86p rather than the regular 1,30? Is it really that
simple? Hard to believe knowing TfL! ;-))

85p actually.

See the tables under "Railcard holder National Rail only fares" here...

2010:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/17352.aspx

2011:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14414.aspx

Old December 16th 10, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16/12/2010 12:31, Mizter T wrote:

"DUS" wrote:

If so, would I automatically get 34% off of my off-peak journeys outside
the zones covered with my season ticket? In my case with a zones 1-4
season ticket, assuming I would make a short journey on NR within zone
5, would I pay just 86p rather than the regular 1,30? Is it really that
simple? Hard to believe knowing TfL! ;-))

85p actually.

I finally got round to finding a spare moment at an Underground station
to get my dead tree rail-only point to point Gold Card recorded on my
PAYG Oyster. I had the usual
"You can only do that if you have a 1-6 annual Travelcard"
"If I had one of those I wouldn't really need a Gold Card listing on my
PAYG Oyster" [1]
"Um, yes, that's a fair point, I'll try it and see what happens"
conversation, but it seems to work now.

[1] other than for a handful of special cases, which someone will now
list...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old December 16th 10, 09:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Mizter T wrote:

"DUS" wrote:

DUS wrote:
Thanks roy. I hope you are right! :-)

May I add one more question?

If I purchase the annual season ticket using the tfl website, will I
automatically have all the Gold card benefits added to my oyster card?

AIUI, yes.

Do we actually know this is done automatically, or are we all just
assuming they must have implemented it because it's so obviously the
right thing to do?

Railcard discounts don't show up on the Oyster web site, do they, so
verifying this means taking enough out-of-zones journeys to reach the
cap, right?

-roy

Old December 17th 10, 06:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 17, 1:12*am, wrote:

In article ,
(Roy Badami) wrote:
Railcard discounts don't show up on the Oyster web site, do they, so
verifying this means taking enough out-of-zones journeys to reach the
cap, right?

Indeed, though a ticket office should be able to check. But from January
the individual fares should get railcard discounts on TfL as well as NR
enabling you to tell before you look at the cap.

Worth noting that the discounted fare scale Railcard holders will
benefit from when using the Tube/DLR/LO (i.e. TfL tariff services)
will be the RC-discounted NR+TfL 'through fare', as opposed to the TfL
fare being reduced by a third.

I assume this is because discounting the TfL fare by a third will make
the fares too cheap (in TfL's eyes), but that this way it will address
the current anomaly whereby it's cheaper for Oyster PAYG users who are
Railcard holders to make a 'through' NR+TfL journey than a pure TfL
journey - e.g. Southfields (District line) to Earlsfield (NR) by Tube
+ NR is cheaper than the shorter Southfields to Wimbledon journey on
the Tube only.