Old February 24th 11, 11:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mercedes Black Cabs

Jim [wake wrote:
Jim [wake wrote:

Knowing that Reading has 'proper' cabs, I was surpised to see a LC58 reg
Vito in a rank there and I did see that it had a Reading plate.

Why should that be a surprise? There is a thriving market in used
London cabs. That market is national. It is certainly not restricted
to London.

As for the registration number, Mercedes-Benz sells them through one
dealer based in East London, so all Mercedes Vito Taxis will have
London registrations unless the new owner has a personal plate.

I can't believe this as I'm sure that the dealer you refer to only sells
the London version, hence the surprise to see one in Reading.

There *is* only one version. Call it "the London version" if you
wish, but there isn't any other version of the Vito Taxi.

You can find cab conversions of Vitos done by several coachbuilders,
but there is only one Vito Taxi.

I sense that I'm wasting my time and the message probably still won't
get across, so I'll make that my last contribution to this thread. ;-)

Old February 24th 11, 11:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2011\02\24 12:47, Bruce wrote:
[wake wrote:
[wake wrote:

[...]

Just watched this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hziiR7-vLWg
I hadn't realised that the rear wheel steering only works going forward.
That means it's theoretically possible to drive forward into places that
you can't reverse from!
Old February 25th 11, 12:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Basil Jet) wrote:

Just watched this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hziiR7-vLWg
I hadn't realised that the rear wheel steering only works going
forward. That means it's theoretically possible to drive forward
into places that you can't reverse from!

The last Vito I saw doing a U-turn, in Pancras Road, wasn't using rear
wheel steering.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old February 25th 11, 06:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

The last Vito I saw doing a U-turn, in Pancras Road, wasn't using rear
wheel steering.

It appears to be a button to hit when you wish to use it.
Old February 25th 11, 07:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

Just watched this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hziiR7-vLWg I hadn't realised that the
rear wheel steering only works going forward. That means it's
theoretically possible to drive forward into places that you can't
reverse from!

In one shot, at least.

Old February 25th 11, 12:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

The last Vito I saw doing a U-turn, in Pancras Road, wasn't using rear
wheel steering.

It only comes into use at low speed and almost full lock - perhaps
neither of those were the case. Also it doesn't have very much rear
wheel steering, so maybe it did but you didn't notice.

Have you watched the video of it in action?
http://www.randle.co.uk/clients/One80_1.html
Old March 2nd 11, 11:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 01:25:43PM +0000, Adrian wrote:
David Cantrell gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:
It only comes into use at low speed and almost full lock - perhaps
neither of those were the case. Also it doesn't have very much rear
wheel steering, so maybe it did but you didn't notice.

Have you watched the video of it in action?
http://www.randle.co.uk/clients/One80_1.html

No. Do you have a copy of that in anything other than bizarro-format
so that I can watch it?

[googles]

Hmmm, they do turn more than I remember. OK, fair enough.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness

There is no one true indentation style,
But if there were K&R would be Its Prophets.
Peace be upon Their Holy Beards.
Old March 2nd 11, 11:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

It only comes into use at low speed and almost full lock - perhaps
neither of those were the case. Also it doesn't have very much rear
wheel steering, so maybe it did but you didn't notice.

Have you watched the video of it in action?
http://www.randle.co.uk/clients/One80_1.html

No. Do you have a copy of that in anything other than bizarro-format so
that I can watch it?

It's a WMV, ffs. One of the most common video formats on the web. Yes,
Microsoft defined the format. Oh, noes. There's no MS software on this
machine, yet it just works.
Old March 3rd 11, 10:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 12:45:05PM +0000, Adrian wrote:
David Cantrell gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:
No. Do you have a copy of that in anything other than bizarro-format so
that I can watch it?

It's a WMV, ffs. One of the most common video formats on the web. Yes,
Microsoft defined the format. Oh, noes. There's no MS software on this
machine, yet it just works.

It may be one of the most common formats, but it's still not common.
Almost all video online is in Flash, and almost all downloadable video
in some form of AVI container.

What a lovely day! Now watch me spoil it for you.