Old February 26th 11, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Signal Failure

In message , john amber
writes
I think most passengers would put up with a few months without LT if it
meant that they could all be sacked and drivers replaced with automatic
driverless trains which work perfectly well on the DLR.

I remember when the Victoria line opened and the proles were told they'd
be driverless, most people said they wouldn't travel on the line, hence
the use of a door closer/driver, same as the DLR. Maybe in the light
of experience, people should be asked again if they would be prepared to
use driverless trains?
--
Clive

Old February 26th 11, 01:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive" wrote in message

In message , john amber
writes
I think most passengers would put up with a few months without LT if
it meant that they could all be sacked and drivers replaced with
automatic driverless trains which work perfectly well on the DLR.

I remember when the Victoria line opened and the proles were told
they'd be driverless, most people said they wouldn't travel on the
line, hence the use of a door closer/driver, same as the DLR. Maybe
in the light of experience, people should be asked again if they
would be prepared to use driverless trains?

I also remember when the Tube went over to OPO (or was it called OMO
back then?), initially only on trains with ATO, but later on all lines.
At each stage, the unions wailed about how this would compromise safety,
people would die, etc, etc, but it seems to have been pretty painless.
Now the same union objections are happening again with ticket offices,
even though stations won't be left unmanned (unlike many minor NR
stations).

Old February 26th 11, 01:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive" wrote in message
In message , john amber
writes
I think most passengers would put up with a few months without LT if it
meant that they could all be sacked and drivers replaced with automatic
driverless trains which work perfectly well on the DLR.

I remember when the Victoria line opened and the proles were told they'd
be driverless, most people said they wouldn't travel on the line, hence
the use of a door closer/driver, same as the DLR. Maybe in the light of
experience, people should be asked again if they would be prepared to use
driverless trains?

Perhaps they better not visit:

Copenhagen
Nuremberg
Other places that I can't be bothered to look up.

then

tim

Old February 28th 11, 08:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26/02/2011 14:59, tim.... wrote:
wrote in message
In , john amber
writes
I think most passengers would put up with a few months without LT if it
meant that they could all be sacked and drivers replaced with automatic
driverless trains which work perfectly well on the DLR.

I remember when the Victoria line opened and the proles were told they'd
be driverless, most people said they wouldn't travel on the line, hence
the use of a door closer/driver, same as the DLR. Maybe in the light of
experience, people should be asked again if they would be prepared to use
driverless trains?

Perhaps they better not visit:

Copenhagen
Nuremberg
Other places that I can't be bothered to look up.

then

tim

Lille