Old December 21st 03, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Default Another Oyster Prepay Thread - How Do You Buy It?

In message , Dave Newt
writes
No, it wouldn't but you could keep some Pre Pay on your season ticket
Oyster for extensions and the other Oyster for other needs.

But then all you have done is make *three* different types of credit
rather than two. (1) Pre-Pay for excess fares, (2) Pre-pay for
pay-as-you-go and (3) Seasons.

Yes, but on two cards with different uses.

This would seem to me to be yet another complication rather than
simplification in the fare structure...

I think whoever said earlier in the thread that it will all work more
smoothly if the entire ticketing structure is reformed was spot on...

That may be... especially in 2004 when there are different prices for
weekends and bank holidays and a host of other *make life harder for the
SAMFs* goodies..
However, I was replying to Paul's suggestion that two types of Oyster
card might be a good idea.
If you did keep another Oyster solely with Pre Pay on it then you could
give it to someone else if necessary.

Just out of interest, I'd like to know if anyone reading this group has
or is planning to get a purely Pre Pay oyster. From what I've gathered
(and I realise it's early days) there hasn't been that much demand for
them so far.
Is lure of 2003 single fare prices greater than the disadvantage of
paying a £3.00 deposit and locking an amount of cash away on an Oyster
card?
--
Kat "bears, said the taxi driver, is sixpence extra,

sticky bears is ninepence"

Old December 22nd 03, 12:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:58:09 +0000, Kat
wrote:

Just out of interest, I'd like to know if anyone reading this group has
or is planning to get a purely Pre Pay oyster. From what I've gathered
(and I realise it's early days) there hasn't been that much demand for
them so far.
Is lure of 2003 single fare prices greater than the disadvantage of
paying a £3.00 deposit and locking an amount of cash away on an Oyster
card?

I bought a pure Pre Pay last Monday.

For me, the biggest lure was the convenience of never again having to
fiddle about buying a ticket from a machine (long queues, not having
change, machines not working, late nights with unsavourys lurking near
by, etc etc).

The 2003 fares were also an incentive to get one, especially
eventually being able to get the 'bus saver' discount, without the
little books!

I kind of viewed the £3 deposit as more of a one off charge. I think
the fact that it is refundable is probably more important to tourists
than Londoners.

I have used the equivalent Octopus system in Hong Kong though, and
fell in love with it there, so I was relatively easy to convince to
convert!

Old December 22nd 03, 06:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Just out of interest, I'd like to know if anyone reading this group has
or is planning to get a purely Pre Pay oyster. From what I've gathered
(and I realise it's early days) there hasn't been that much demand for
them so far.
Is lure of 2003 single fare prices greater than the disadvantage of
paying a £3.00 deposit and locking an amount of cash away on an Oyster
card?

I have bought a Pre Pay. I work 2 days a week and make a variety of
journeys on some of the other days, so a season isn't an option for
me.
I know I'll still have to ask myself every time I go out whether a day
travelcard is the best option, but I have to do this anyway. If it
is, then I know I'll still have to buy a paper ticket until Oyster can
handle this, which is when I'll really start to feel the benefits.
The cheaper fares weren't really the main incentive, but in my view
the £3 deposit is a small price to pay for the big incentive of no
longer having to queue for a single or return ticket and having to
keep a stash of coins for the ticket machines.
I just hope it's all going to work OK when January comes as the level
of information issued specifically about pre-pay so far seems a bit
inadequate. Very little information came with the ticket or in the
new Oyster pre-pay leaflet that was being handed out last week. If I
hadn't read this group I don't think I'd fully appreciate the
importance of signing in and out at the beginning and end of each
journey, even if the gates are open, to avoid being charged for all
zones. I wonder how many people realise this as I haven't seen it
stressed anywhere else.

Old December 22nd 03, 08:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jill" wrote in message

I just hope it's all going to work OK when January comes as the level
of information issued specifically about pre-pay so far seems a bit
inadequate. Very little information came with the ticket or in the
new Oyster pre-pay leaflet that was being handed out last week. If I
hadn't read this group I don't think I'd fully appreciate the
importance of signing in and out at the beginning and end of each
journey, even if the gates are open, to avoid being charged for all
zones. I wonder how many people realise this as I haven't seen it
stressed anywhere else.

I feel some "Oyster related stress" sickness coming on!

Old December 22nd 03, 08:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Newt" wrote in message

This would seem to me to be yet another complication rather than
simplification in the fare structure...

Indeed

I think whoever said earlier in the thread that it will all work more
smoothly if the entire ticketing structure is reformed was spot on...

As I understand it, it was supposed to. You don't expect a holistic approach
in this job do you?

Old December 22nd 03, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Jill
writes
[...]
I just hope it's all going to work OK when January comes as the level
of information issued specifically about pre-pay so far seems a bit
inadequate. Very little information came with the ticket or in the
new Oyster pre-pay leaflet that was being handed out last week.

I'll find out if more training aimed at the user will be forthcoming
before January 4th.

If I
hadn't read this group I don't think I'd fully appreciate the
importance of signing in and out at the beginning and end of each
journey, even if the gates are open, to avoid being charged for all
zones. I wonder how many people realise this as I haven't seen it
stressed anywhere else.

Exactly.
I can't stress enough how important it will be to use the yellow reader
at the start and finish of each journey or the Pre Pay amount will
disappear in large chunks with unresolved journeys.
We'll be able to resolve *single* unresolved journeys on the TOMs
locally and Revenue Inspectors will be able to do it with their HHCs but
more than one will require a phone call to sort out.

Old December 22nd 03, 08:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Robin Mayes
writes

"Jill" wrote in message
.. .

I just hope it's all going to work OK when January comes as the level
of information issued specifically about pre-pay so far seems a bit
inadequate. Very little information came with the ticket or in the
new Oyster pre-pay leaflet that was being handed out last week. If I
hadn't read this group I don't think I'd fully appreciate the
importance of signing in and out at the beginning and end of each
journey, even if the gates are open, to avoid being charged for all
zones. I wonder how many people realise this as I haven't seen it
stressed anywhere else.

I feel some "Oyster related stress" sickness coming on!

Not if there's an R in the month....

Old December 22nd 03, 08:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Kat
writes
If you have an Oyster season ticket with no Pre Pay on it, 57 will show
on the POD and you'll just be stopped at the gates and directed to the
Assistance Window to pay the difference if you go out of zone.

I may have caused some confusion here. I'm assuming that a season ticket
which has never had any Pre Pay on it will do this.
An Oyster which has inadequate Pre Pay or none because it has been used
up will open the gates but not allow you to use your season ticket again
(even if it's perfectly valid) until the amount owing for the extension
has been cleared.
I can see this causing major problems.

Old December 22nd 03, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Q wrote:
Prepay oyster can be got over the counter from *any* LUL ticket
office. For prepay you *do not* need a photo card, *nor* do you need
to register it. Only from the tele sales team, or the website.

If you are still having problems reply to me via the group, and ill
contact you back privately and can give you contact details for the
helpdesk, a name and internal number.

I'd appreciate some help with this please. I today made a big effort to buy
the pre-pay at Liverpool Street (where there is a promo team today), but the
ticket staff kept insisting I needed a photocard (and I had to register,
which is fine by me, though I'd prefer not to bother). The tfl information
centre (at Liverpool Street) wasn't even sure what the oystercard was!!!

Nadeem (rainbowmedia on hotmail is the best email for me - my reply -to
email is valid as well, but unfortunately still deluged with the Swen virus
daily)

Old December 23rd 03, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kat wrote
[...]
An Oyster which has inadequate Pre Pay or none because it has been

used
up will open the gates but not allow you to use your season ticket

again
(even if it's perfectly valid) until the amount owing for the

extension
has been cleared.
I can see this causing major problems.

AND you are assuming your exit station is staffed so you can pay if you
wish.

The major problems would be if it is unstaffed and you get 'refused'
the next morning.

And what happens if the next use is again at an unstaffed station ?

--
Mike D