Old December 24th 03, 12:35 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default reducing congestion

"Silk" wrote in message
Cast_Iron wrote:

Are you admitting by that statement that you are sufficiently

unintelligent
that you are incapable of treating other people in a reasonable manner?

No, I'm simply being realistic. One person making a "stand" cannot do
much on their own. Governments need to impliment policies that encourage
fairness within the limits of practicality. It's one thing being nice to
people in the street and generally being a good citizen; it's quite
another matter when serious, life changing, amounts of money are involved.

Quite true that, generally speaking, one individual on his own stands little
chance of changing anything unless in a position of authority. However, one
must not confuse an appreciation of reality with NG discussion.

Old December 24th 03, 12:41 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"Aidan Stanger" wrote in message
Cast_Iron wrote:
"Clive George" wrote...
"Cast_Iron" wrotem...

Given the that the increased road congestion in Friday and Sunday
evenings is caused by many people going and from to their country
cottages for the weekend, isn't it time that second homes attracted

punative rate of council tax?

Less controversially, isn't it time that second homes attracted the

normal
(ie non-discount) rate of council tax?

ISTR they were changing the law to allow that to happen. Maybe they
could even use some of the extra revenue to build more council houses,
thus removing one of the problems that has kept this thread going for so
long...

But if I had suggested that we wouldn't have had this interesting
conversation I suspect,

IMNSHO most of this conversation has been rather dull!

unless someone wants to prove me wrong?

You have phrased the original question in such a way that plenty of
people want to prove you wrong. Unfortunately, in their haste to do so,
they have focused entirely on your objectionable method, and completly
ignored the stupidity of your purpose: Reducing congestion on
uncongested roads but having no effect on those same roads at the times
when they really are congested.

Damn, sussed!!

Old December 24th 03, 07:19 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

wrote:

JNugent wrote:

wrote:

Greg Hennessy wrote:

[ ... ]

If you were to believe the CPRE, the SE is currently like
downtown Hong Hong during the rush hour, when the reality
is that approximately 15% of the land within 1 hours
commute of charring cross is built on.

A one hour commute by your favoured mode is only about ten miles at
most. Are you suggesting that there are open fields within that
area?

He didn't specify the mode, but it seemed pretty obvious to me that he
meant by train. Even people whose favourite method of getting around
is by car would think twice about using it to commute to Charing
Cross.

A one hour journey by car can take one (easily) up to 60 miles
(probably not a lot more, unless one lives adjacent to a motorway
interchange).
So what are you talking about?

You can commute a lot further on a jet aircraft (from LCY airport)
So what are you talking about??

[Yes, I know that completely misses the point of JNugent's question,
but his missing the point of the previous question is my real point]

The previous question was "Are you suggesting that there are open fields
within that area?" ("that area" being a one-hour commute from Charing
Cross). There are plenty of open fields in "that area", and my response
about being able to travel 60 miles in an hour in "that area" would reflect
that even literally, but in any case, the PP's question was not about
agriculture but was about whether you can get outside the inner London
built-up area within an hour, and you can.

Old December 24th 03, 05:31 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Cast_Iron wrote:

However, one
must not confuse an appreciation of reality with NG discussion.

I never do that. :-)

Old December 24th 03, 11:54 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Cast_Iron wrote:

So of all the people who commute into London by car (of which there is still
a significant number I understand) none of them work in the vicinity of
Charing Cross? Seems a bit unlukely to me, especially as at least one office
block along the Strand has it's own sub-surface car park.

Of course some people commute to that area by car. However, I'd expect
most (if not all) of those people to be commuting from other parts of
London.
Old December 24th 03, 11:54 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

JNugent wrote:

The previous question was "Are you suggesting that there are open fields
within that area?" ("that area" being a one-hour commute from Charing
Cross). There are plenty of open fields in "that area", and my response
about being able to travel 60 miles in an hour in "that area" would reflect
that even literally, but in any case, the PP's question was not about
agriculture but was about whether you can get outside the inner London
built-up area within an hour, and you can.

Well in that case I owe Robin (and others) an apology: Sorry, I assumed
JNugent's statement was sensible and inconsistent. It appears I was
wrong on both counts.

(Except possibly if he's referring to commuting in the small hours and
is prepared to risk getting gatsoed).