Old March 6th 11, 01:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Stratford after Crossrail

I know that the portal for Crossrail is going to be at Pudding Mill Lane,
and indeed, all the works are set up just south of the DLR stations -
however, assuming that the aim is for trains to use platform 5 coming
westbound from Shenfield and 8 (?) for the Eastbound trains, the Crossrail
trains will need to go over (or under?) the DLR to get to the portal, if
it's south of the DLR - what's the plan? Also - how will services run
during the works, as surely the line from those platforms into L'pool St
will have to be severed sooner or later?

(I've had a look around and struggled to find any up to date info on how
Stratford fits into the Crossrail picture - does anything have any
interesting links about the work going on there? Stitching everything
together looks a particularly interesting and complicated problem and I'd
love to know how it's all going to happen.)

Old March 6th 11, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

From a dig around it seems that the Crossrail portal will be where
Pudding Mill Lane Station is now. Therefore the DLR line is to be swung
south and a new station will be built. Similarly it looks like a NR line
is also swung south too. I would guess the land currently being
prepared will be the new alignment for DLR and NR and this will be built
first together with whatever civil work is needed for the portal itself
and its relationship with the foundations for the revised alignments.

Once the DLR and NR run on their new alignment then I would guess the
work for dive unders and ramps for the Crossrail lines will be built.

I guess too that we'll have to wait until the Olympics are complete
before anything too disruptive happens. You have to assume that it would
also involve creating a doubled-track for the DLR, even if it looks
tricky between Bow Church and PML - but I'm pretty sure that even after
the Olympics, Stratford will become a major destination and the DLR route
from offers a key corridor for people to get up to the Westfield Centre
etc.

Plans No. 47, 50 and 52 are the ones for PM Lane and Stratford but it's
a tad hard to piece together.

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/railway/g...rossrail-bill-

supporting-documents/?folder=/l0/552/l1/553/asset/3692#asset

Thanks - but yes, it did make my eyes hurt staring at those maps

Looking at plan 52 it doesn't seem as if Crossrail does anything
fundamental at Stratford. You have to expect that all the Olympics work
is more than enough other than a tart up, resigning and some new DMIs!

Aye - it was always likely that there would be no major surgery done on
Stratford with all the other stuff going on around it now - though I
wonder if there will be any knock on to services to non-Shenfield
services which already use those platforms - everything non-Crossrail
will obviously now have to use 9-10 (again, I think I've got the right
numbers) which could cause further limitations?
Old March 6th 11, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 15:09:49 +0000, Paul Corfield wrote
On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 14:33:39 +0000 (UTC), Martin Petrov
wrote:

I know that the portal for Crossrail is going to be at Pudding Mill Lane,
and indeed, all the works are set up just south of the DLR stations -
however, assuming that the aim is for trains to use platform 5 coming
westbound from Shenfield and 8 (?) for the Eastbound trains, the Crossrail
trains will need to go over (or under?) the DLR to get to the portal, if
it's south of the DLR - what's the plan? Also - how will services run
during the works, as surely the line from those platforms into L'pool St
will have to be severed sooner or later?

(I've had a look around and struggled to find any up to date info on how
Stratford fits into the Crossrail picture - does anything have any
interesting links about the work going on there? Stitching everything
together looks a particularly interesting and complicated problem and I'd
love to know how it's all going to happen.)

From a dig around it seems that the Crossrail portal will be where

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/railway/g...ll-supporting-

documents/?folder=/l0/552/l1/553/asset/3692#asset

Looking at plan 52 it doesn't seem as if Crossrail does anything
fundamental at Stratford. You have to expect that all the Olympics work
is more than enough other than a tart up, resigning and some new DMIs!

If you walk from PML station to the Olympic accreditation centre and
reception building (known for some reason as OPEPO), pretty much the entire
distance is now alongside Crossrail hoardings behind which they're digging a
very big hole.

Old March 6th 11, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Martin Petrov" wrote in message

Aye - it was always likely that there would be no major surgery done on
Stratford with all the other stuff going on around it now - though I
wonder if there will be any knock on to services to non-Shenfield
services which already use those platforms - everything non-Crossrail
will obviously now have to use 9-10 (again, I think I've got the right
numbers) which could cause further limitations?

That isn't the plan - east of Stratford (inclusive) Crossrail shares it's
route with the remaining GEML slows - just like on the GW it doesn't have
reserved tracks. So west of Stratford trains for Liverpool St will 'take a
left' at a junction and swing round over the Crossrail route onto their
original alignment. Crossrail will be the main route and Liverpool St the
branch, in terms of numbers of trains.

Paul S

Old March 6th 11, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

From a dig around it seems that the Crossrail portal will be where
Pudding Mill Lane Station is now. Therefore the DLR line is to be swung
south and a new station will be built. Similarly it looks like a NR line
is also swung south too. I would guess the land currently being
prepared will be the new alignment for DLR and NR and this will be built
first together with whatever civil work is needed for the portal itself
and its relationship with the foundations for the revised alignments.

Once the DLR and NR run on their new alignment then I would guess the
work for dive unders and ramps for the Crossrail lines will be built.

What would be useful would be some normal before and after plans - sometimes
I think the Crossrail information site is made deliberately useless. But
I'd concur - nothing changes at Stratford station itself.

Anyway, once you find it, the text description of the Pudding Mill Lane site
summarises the work thus :

Pudding Mill Lane portal, ramp and cut-and-cover box
The site is located between Marshgate Lane in the east and the River Lea in
the West. From the track level of the GEML, a ramp will descend to a portal
and cut and cover box, which starts immediately to the west of the existing
DLR station. The ramp continues to the tunnel eye, which is located
immediately to the east of the River Lea, from where the bored running
tunnels commence.

Changes to the DLR
The DLR will be realigned between the bridge over the River Lea and City
Mill River to accommodate the Crossrail running lines and the ramp into the
tunnel. The existing Pudding Mill Lane station will be demolished and a
replacement will be constructed on the bridge over Pudding Mill Lane itself.
The new station will have side platforms and will be longer than the
existing station to allow the future use of three car trains on the DLR.

Changes to the GEML
The line currently used by westbound One Great Eastern 'Metro' services will
be realigned to the south between City Mill River and the bridge over the
River Lea. It will cross the Crossrail lines by means of a bridge.

From Chapter 15 of Volume 08b of the Environmental Statement - which your
previous link also provides a route to, so I won't repeat it.

Paul S

Old March 6th 11, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

That isn't the plan - east of Stratford (inclusive) Crossrail shares
it's route with the remaining GEML slows - just like on the GW it
doesn't have reserved tracks. So west of Stratford trains for
Liverpool St will 'take a left' at a junction and swing round over the
Crossrail route onto their original alignment. Crossrail will be the
main route and Liverpool St the branch, in terms of numbers of trains.

Paul S

I see - thanks - I'm surprised that the plan is to mix and match the
Crossrail and non-Crossrail services on the same tracks - though I'm not
sure what I thought would happen east of Stratford, so I suppose they
have to merge somewhere....will the same thing happen west of Paddington?
Old March 6th 11, 08:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Martin Petrov" wrote

I see - thanks - I'm surprised that the plan is to mix and match the
Crossrail and non-Crossrail services on the same tracks - though I'm not
sure what I thought would happen east of Stratford, so I suppose they
have to merge somewhere....will the same thing happen west of Paddington?

There are currently around 17 tph in the peak on the GE Electric (Slow)
Line. As the current Crossrail plan is to send half the 24 tph to Abbey Wood
Crossrail will not provide enough capacity to Shenfield, so a proportion of
the peak service will run to/from Liverpool Street Main Line.

The current proposal is to run some Relief Line trains out of Paddington
Main Line. However, if as is likely the Crossrail service is extended to
Reading I can't see a need for trains from Paddington Main Line along the
Relief Lines, though I would expect some peak trains to run fast on the Main
Lines and cross to the Reliefs to call at Maidenhead and/or Twyford.

There will be freight on the GW Relief Lines, and a diveunder will be
provided west of Acton for them.

Peter