Old March 7th 11, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Carto Metro London Underground etc.Map

In article ,

*From:* Martin Petrov
*Date:* Mon, 7 Mar 2011 22:11:00 +0000 (UTC)

I've only just joined the newsgroup after a long absence, so I
don't
know what's been posted.

Franklin Jarrier has recently updated the London map with some
minor
changes and additions - now v1.1

http://carto.metro.free.fr/metro-london/

That is an outstanding map - though as a minor point of order,
Shoreditch station is listed as closing 22/12/2007 - I'm pretty
sure it closed in June/July 2006, while the rest of the ELL closed
on the date you've suggested? (anyone confirm?)

Thanks for that, Wiki has the same date - I'll let Franklin know.

Roger
Old March 7th 11, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
() wrote:

In article ,
(Martin Petrov) wrote:

I've only just joined the newsgroup after a long absence, so I don't
know what's been posted.

Franklin Jarrier has recently updated the London map with some minor
changes and additions - now v1.1

http://carto.metro.free.fr/metro-london/

That is an outstanding map - though as a minor point of order,
Shoreditch station is listed as closing 22/12/2007 - I'm pretty
sure it closed in June/July 2006, while the rest of the ELL
closed on the date you've suggested? (anyone confirm?)

Thanks for that, Wiki has the same date - I'll let Franklin know.

Have you told him of the two points I raised elsewhere - The Canonbury
curve and missing W&C abandoned siding at Waterloo?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old March 7th 11, 11:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Canonbury's now sorted, W&C to do - see my post on CIX (only just done as
I had a few problems posting to the topic - now sorted).

Roger

Old March 8th 11, 12:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,

*From:*

*Date:* Mon, 07 Mar 2011 18:54:22 -0600

*From:*

*Date:* Mon, 07 Mar 2011 18:05:44 -0600

In article ,
() wrote:

In article ,
(Martin Petrov) wrote:

[...]

I've checked W&C and the lift siding still appears to be there (probably
as an engineers siding) - it's shown as no.8 siding on the map. Do you
know if the siding was actually removed when the lift was taken out of
use? I suspect that the siding (being below ground) was just converted
into a normal siding after the removal of the lift, even though the
Eurostar work changed the top level layout.

Roger
Old March 8th 11, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,

*From:*

*Date:* Tue, 08 Mar 2011 05:59:34 -0600

In article ,

*From:*

*Date:* Tue, 08 Mar 2011 05:36:35 -0600

In article ,
() wrote:

Canonbury's now sorted,

Not that I can see. it still shows as from Southbound GNC to
Eastbound NLL.

I've checked W&C and the lift siding still appears to be there
(probably as an engineers siding) - it's shown as no.8 siding

on the map. That doesn't make sense to me. No 8 siding is
shown within the depot area on the map I'm looking at. The

siding to the lift went off straight ahead on the approach to the
station from Bank about where the curve to the right into the
Waterloo platforms starts.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Sorry, I meant to say that Franklin has now updated Canonbury and
this will be shown correctly when the next version of the map is
uploaded.

Reading Wiki, I see what you mean about the position of the lift
siding. I don't know anything about the arrangements at Waterloo
depot. What I was referring to was shown as "lift siding" on one
diagram and "8 siding" on another diagram, so I just assumed that 8
siding was the siding you were referring to. I'll have to try and
Google around to see if I can find a diagram showing the lift
siding connection so that I can pass it on to Franklin.

Roger

Looking at the 1914 Ordnance Survey map, I think I can see where the lift
was at ground level. Was the lift siding off the NB W&C line?

Roger
Old March 8th 11, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,

*From:*

*Date:* Tue, 08 Mar 2011 05:59:34 -0600

In article ,

*From:*

*Date:* Tue, 08 Mar 2011 05:36:35 -0600

In article ,
() wrote:

[...]

I've now found out why 8 road is now also called the lift road. Since the
closure of the Armstrong lift, the cars are lifted by crane directly from
8 road. The track of 8 road can be seen in Google Earth in the 'V'
junction between Spur Road and Station Approach Road. Something else new
that I've learnt :-)

Roger
Old March 8th 11, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[W&C line]

I've now found out why 8 road is now also called the lift road. Since the
closure of the Armstrong lift, the cars are lifted by crane directly from
8 road. The track of 8 road can be seen in Google Earth in the 'V'
junction between Spur Road and Station Approach Road. Something else new
that I've learnt :-)

Here's the W&C carriages being lifted out of the hole in April '06 for
refurbishment...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zimpenfish/121213923/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zimpenfish/121214056/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zimpenfish/121214019/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/justindperkins/4349919722/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/justindperkins/4349948484/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zimpenfish/121213974/

And here's one after the refurb, about to be craned back down the Drain in
August '06:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimd/224388470/

Alas none really show the 'hole' - aha, here's a shot that illustrates that:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207601090/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207598827/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207598449/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207597974/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207597588/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207597190/

I realise now I've arranged these in the wrong order - these were the
refurbed carriages being returned to their subterranean home - my excuse is
that they don't show in chronological order he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version...erloocityline/

You can see the 'hole' from street level of course.

Old March 7th 11, 11:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

test