Old March 17th 11, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stones Thrown At Central Line Train

Saw this on the BBC news.

Do you think this is an isolated incident, or does it happen more
often an simply not get reported?

No doubt the parents of the kids responsible think that butter
wouldn't melt in their mouths and the sun shines out of their a***s.

Incidentally, I wonder if the BBCgot the location wrong, as the line
between Leyton and Stratford is in tunnel, apart from the short bit
between Leyton High Road and the tunnel entrance.

Old March 17th 11, 01:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul" wrote in message
Saw this on the BBC news.

Do you think this is an isolated incident, or does it happen more
often an simply not get reported?

I think on 'the railway' generally it's an extremely regular occurrence -
broken windows (at least the external pane of the double glazing) are fairly
commonplace on the lines into Waterloo.

I suspect what might be unusual here is that 8 trains were damaged in the
same place?

Paul S

Old March 17th 11, 02:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Paul writes
Saw this on the BBC news.

From the article-
"An investigation has been launched and officers are working to
establish the full circumstances surrounding the incidents, including
establishing exactly what was used to smash the windows."

I'll save them the bother. Some kids threw stones (does it really
matter?) at the train, some windows were broken. Perhaps if they tried
to catch the culprits and dealt with them severely rather than the usual
slap on the wrist, the little b*****ds might learn...
--
Kenny
Old March 17th 11, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
,
Paul writes

Saw this on the BBC news.

Do you think this is an isolated incident, or does it happen more
often an simply not get reported?

The BBC lunchtime news (about 30 minutes later than the website time
stamp) reported that the window smashing resulted from the use of an air
rifle - hence the number of trains apparently damaged at the same
location.
--
Paul Terry
Old March 17th 11, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Kenny" wrote:

Paul writes
Saw this on the BBC news.

From the article-
"An investigation has been launched and officers are working to establish
the full circumstances surrounding the incidents, including establishing
exactly what was used to smash the windows."

I'll save them the bother. Some kids threw stones (does it really matter?)
at the train, some windows were broken. Perhaps if they tried to catch the
culprits and dealt with them severely rather than the usual slap on the
wrist, the little b*****ds might learn...

Aha, well see Paul Terry's response re use of an air rifle. (I've been in a
bus when the window next to me suddenly smashed - gave me a pretty big jump!
The cause was a pellet from an air rifle. The driver couldn't have been less
surprised when I went up and told him - I'll add that didn't happen in
London.)

As a wider comment re stone throwing, I do wonder how well such things are
dealt with given the respective responsibilities of the BTP and the local
plod - both in terms of an immediate response, and also subsequent
investigation.

Old March 17th 11, 06:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 17, 7:07*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 07:34:27 -0700 (PDT),
Paul wrote:

Saw this on the BBC news.

Do you think this is an isolated incident, or does it happen more
often an simply not get reported?

Given the number of trains hit I think this is an isolated incident. I
can't recall hearing about that scale of damage and certainly not in the
peak period.

I think if there were regular attacks on this scale then the media would
be publicising it.

Incidentally, I wonder if the BBC got the location wrong, as the line
between Leyton and Stratford is in tunnel, apart from the short bit
between Leyton High Road and the tunnel entrance.

Well I wondered about that too. *There is some opportunity between the
portal and Leyton station but it is limited given the A12 and housing on
the other side. *Even between Leyton and Leytonstone there isn't a huge
opportunity unless they were skulking in the cemetery.

....which doesn't seem like such an unlikely scenario.
Old March 17th 11, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 15:05:10 +0000, Kenny wrote:

In message
,
Paul writes
Saw this on the BBC news.

From the article-
"An investigation has been launched and officers are working to
establish the full circumstances surrounding the incidents, including
establishing exactly what was used to smash the windows."

If I were prosecuting I would prefer to have all the evidence
available.

Old March 18th 11, 09:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Greetings.

In article news:4fc3fea5-b354-4814-
, Paul wrote:
Saw this on the BBC news.

Do you think this is an isolated incident, or does it happen more
often an simply not get reported?

The Evening Standard reported yesterday that there have been previous
attacks elsewhere on the Underground, albeit not recently:

"In previous attacks on the east end of the District and Central lines,
train drivers have refused to work unless security was stepped up. Eleven
Central line trains were attacked two years ago between White City and
Acton. The windows were smashed by vandals hurling bricks. There were also
unconfirmed reports on that occasion of an air rifle being fired at
passengers."

Regards,
Tristan

--