Old March 21st 11, 12:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default ticketing question: outboundary travelcards

This is probably a rather simple question, but I thought I'd come to
u.t.l to see how many answers you lot could come up with

My work has booked me on a 5-day training course. It's in Slough, so
I've got the joys of a commute via Paddington to look forward to.

As I usually rely on Oyster PAYG, season tickets are a bit of a
mystery to me. Am I right in thinking that the ticket I'm after is a 7
day Slough to London R1256 at £69.70?
This will presumably also let me use buses and tubes in London without
having done the leg on the train first. Will it likely get eaten by
the ticket barrier in Slough on the last day of its validity?

thanks,
- martin

Old March 21st 11, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 21, 9:06*am, martin wrote:
This is probably a rather simple question, but I thought I'd come to
u.t.l to see how many answers you lot could come up with

My work has booked me on a 5-day training course. It's in Slough, so
I've got the joys of a commute via Paddington to look forward to.

As I usually rely on Oyster PAYG, season tickets are a bit of a
mystery to me. Am I right in thinking that the ticket I'm after is a 7
day Slough to London R1256 at £69.70?
This will presumably also let me use buses and tubes in London without
having done the leg on the train first. Will it likely get eaten by
the ticket barrier in Slough on the last day of its validity?

No because a period season ticket is valid for as many journeys on a
given day that you want to make, so the gate wouldn't know if you want
to use it again on the final day. It's only the one-day travelcards
that are only valid for one journey each way between origin and
London.
--
Roy
Old March 21st 11, 01:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"martin" wrote:

This is probably a rather simple question, but I thought I'd come to
u.t.l to see how many answers you lot could come up with

;-)

My work has booked me on a 5-day training course. It's in Slough, so
I've got the joys of a commute via Paddington to look forward to.

As I usually rely on Oyster PAYG, season tickets are a bit of a
mystery to me. Am I right in thinking that the ticket I'm after is a 7
day Slough to London R1256 at £69.70?

Yes, I'd think so.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether you could actually buy said ticket
at the London end - outboundary Travelcards are kinda intended for people
travelling into London, and I believe they're excluded from the normal rules
whereby a ticket office is supposed to sell any ticket a punter asks for (or
maybe that only applies to outboundary Day Travelcards?).

Anyway if that's an issue it's also easily sidestepped - just buy online,
e.g. from Southern:
http://www.southernrailway.com/ticke...eason-tickets/

Note that you'll need a photocard.

(This does assume that your employer is willing to pay for your travel in
London to get to Paddington - though that'd be a reasonable thing to expect,
unless perhaps you worked next to Paddington station.)

This will presumably also let me use buses and tubes in London without
having done the leg on the train first. Will it likely get eaten by
the ticket barrier in Slough on the last day of its validity?

No - season tickets are valid for unlimited travel, so you could
legitimately travel several times between London and Slough on the final day
of validity. If however it was a Day Travelcard then it might get swallowed
on return to Slough (a holder should be allowed to retain it if they ask,
not least because Slough is served by a London bus route, the 81).

Old March 21st 11, 02:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message

"martin" wrote:

[...]

My first thought was that the OP needs a Z1-6 to Slough season but actually
buying a Slough to Z1-6 in advance via the web would seem to overcome issues
about whether you can even buy the ticket from Z1-6.

Old March 21st 11, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 14:29:39 -0000, Mizter T wrote:

"martin" wrote:
My work has booked me on a 5-day training course. It's in Slough, so
I've got the joys of a commute via Paddington to look forward to.

As I usually rely on Oyster PAYG, season tickets are a bit of a
mystery to me. Am I right in thinking that the ticket I'm after is a 7
day Slough to London R1256 at £69.70?

Yes, I'd think so.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether you could actually buy said ticket
at the London end - outboundary Travelcards are kinda intended for people
travelling into London, and I believe they're excluded from the normal rules
whereby a ticket office is supposed to sell any ticket a punter asks for (or
maybe that only applies to outboundary Day Travelcards?).

In the past I've bought a 7-day Zones + Redhill travelcard from my local
tube station without any problems.

Old March 21st 11, 06:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

One thing I'm not sure about is whether you could actually buy said ticket
at the London end - outboundary Travelcards are kinda intended for people
travelling into London, and I believe they're excluded from the normal rules
whereby a ticket office is supposed to sell any ticket a punter asks for (or
maybe that only applies to outboundary Day Travelcards?).

Shouldn't be a problem - I used to buy a Basingstoke-Zones weekly/
monthly season from Ealing Broadway, as I lived in W5 and worked in
Hampshire. I never had a problem buying this ticket at EBY.

Old March 23rd 11, 11:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 06:06:39AM -0700, martin wrote:
This is probably a rather simple question, but I thought I'd come to
u.t.l to see how many answers you lot could come up with

My work has booked me on a 5-day training course. It's in Slough, so
I've got the joys of a commute via Paddington to look forward to.

As I usually rely on Oyster PAYG, season tickets are a bit of a
mystery to me. Am I right in thinking that the ticket I'm after is a 7
day Slough to London R1256 at =A369.70?

Be Careful.

Last time I needed a different ticket to normal for work, I decided to
save my employer money by buying the appropriate weekly ticket instead
of five dailies. I then put in my expenses claim, only to find that it
got classed as a taxable benefit because I could also use it at the
weekend. Never mind that I already had my normal monthly ticket that
covered everything that I'd want to do at the weekend anyway, and, in
your case, that no-one would ever want to go to Slough.

Since then I've not tried to save my employers money and just got lots
of expensive point to point tickets.

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

The word "urgent" is the moral of the story "The boy who cried wolf". As
a general rule I don't believe it until a manager comes to me almost in
tears. I like to catch them in a cup and drink them later.
-- Matt Holiab, in the Monastery
Old March 23rd 11, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MJA MJA is offline

On 2011-03-21, martin wrote:
This is probably a rather simple question, but I thought I'd come to
u.t.l to see how many answers you lot could come up with

My work has booked me on a 5-day training course. It's in Slough, so
I've got the joys of a commute via Paddington to look forward to.

As I usually rely on Oyster PAYG, season tickets are a bit of a
mystery to me. Am I right in thinking that the ticket I'm after is a 7
day Slough to London R1256 at £69.70?
This will presumably also let me use buses and tubes in London without
having done the leg on the train first. Will it likely get eaten by
the ticket barrier in Slough on the last day of its validity?

thanks,
- martin

Isn't this one of the routes on which season tickets are more
expensive than 5 daily tickets?

I only have NFM92 to hand, so prices will have gone up in the
intervening years, but the relative differences would still be the
same:

London Terminals to Slough:
SDR £7.40
7D £46.20

but there is a saving in the other direction:

Slough to London Terminals:
SDR £11.50
7D £46.20

It may be worth checking the current NFM CD, which I don't have
available. A season ticket is not the best choice when it is priced
for the busiest direction of travel, and you want to travel against
the flow.

Regards,

MJA
Old March 23rd 11, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"MJA" wrote:

[London to Slough]

Isn't this one of the routes on which season tickets are more
expensive than 5 daily tickets?

I only have NFM92 to hand, so prices will have gone up in the
intervening years, but the relative differences would still be the
same:

London Terminals to Slough:
SDR £7.40
7D £46.20

but there is a saving in the other direction:

Slough to London Terminals:
SDR £11.50
7D £46.20

It may be worth checking the current NFM CD, which I don't have
available. A season ticket is not the best choice when it is priced
for the busiest direction of travel, and you want to travel against
the flow.

No need for the NFM / Avantix CD-ROM, all the fares can be found on the
online booking sites.

London Terminals to Slough
Anytime Return £11.90

Slough to London Terminals
Anytime Return £13.50

7-day season between the two £53.00

So the season is still cheaper. (Obviously this comparison doesn't take into
account the Travelcard element.)

Nonetheless your point about checking that is a good one - I think SWT has a
number of such examples.

Old March 23rd 11, 01:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 23, 12:17*pm, David Cantrell wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the warning - I'm not sure that my employer's expenses
department will be clued-up enough to notice, but I suppose I could
argue that only 2/7ths of the cost of the ticket ought to be taxable!
(In the case of this ticket, it would be of use to me during the
weekend as a z1-6 travelcard - I suppose I could promise not to use it
for leisure purposes, but in practice, there's no way they'd ever
know...)