Old March 23rd 11, 06:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default ticketing question: outboundary travelcards

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
k...

Be Careful.

Last time I needed a different ticket to normal for work, I decided to
save my employer money by buying the appropriate weekly ticket instead
of five dailies. I then put in my expenses claim, only to find that it
got classed as a taxable benefit because I could also use it at the
weekend. Never mind that I already had my normal monthly ticket that
covered everything that I'd want to do at the weekend anyway, and, in
your case, that no-one would ever want to go to Slough.

I tried something similar, although in my case it was my (public sector)
employer's insistence on using a preferred supplier (Expotel) to book the
tickets that stopped me getting a 7-day Travelcard. In my case the 5
standard class dailies came to a total cost considerably greater than a
first class 7-day ticket.

It's nice to know your taxes are being spent wisely.

--
DAS

Old March 23rd 11, 06:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote in news:20110323121758.GA32532
@bytemark.barnyard.co.uk:

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 06:06:39AM -0700, martin wrote:
This is probably a rather simple question, but I thought I'd come to
u.t.l to see how many answers you lot could come up with

My work has booked me on a 5-day training course. It's in Slough, so
I've got the joys of a commute via Paddington to look forward to.

As I usually rely on Oyster PAYG, season tickets are a bit of a
mystery to me. Am I right in thinking that the ticket I'm after is a 7
day Slough to London R1256 at =A369.70?

Be Careful.

Last time I needed a different ticket to normal for work, I decided to
save my employer money by buying the appropriate weekly ticket instead
of five dailies. I then put in my expenses claim, only to find that it
got classed as a taxable benefit because I could also use it at the
weekend. Never mind that I already had my normal monthly ticket that
covered everything that I'd want to do at the weekend anyway, and, in
your case, that no-one would ever want to go to Slough.

That doesn't sound right.

See http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM16065.htm (not quite the
situation here, but the same principles apply).

Since then I've not tried to save my employers money and just got lots
of expensive point to point tickets.

Old March 23rd 11, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message 6, David
Jackman wrote:
Last time I needed a different ticket to normal for work, I decided to
save my employer money by buying the appropriate weekly ticket instead
of five dailies. I then put in my expenses claim, only to find that it
got classed as a taxable benefit because I could also use it at the
weekend.

That doesn't sound right.

See http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM16065.htm (not quite the
situation here, but the same principles apply).

Even better, see
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM16066.htm
and the examples at
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM16067.htm

If the individual journeys would have cost more than the season ticket,
there's nothing chargeable to tax. If they would have cost less, then
only the difference is chargeable.

Suppose on a particular route a day return ticket is £12.00 while a
weekly season is £50.00. If you buy a season and make 5 return journeys
for work, 5 * 12 = 50 so there's no taxable benefit. If you only make 3
return journeys, then there's tax to pay on 50 - 3 * 12 = £14.00.

Where you use your own travelcard for commuting and the occasional
business trip, the situation is reversed and you can't count any of it
as an expense. If you buy a further-range ticket to cover work trips,
you can count some of it. See
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM31833.htm

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home: