Old April 5th 11, 05:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

Default New countdown sign locations

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
news
snip Shame that some of the extra £2.6bn TfL cut back couldn't have
been diverted to increasing the number of signs to routes where knowing
if a low frequency bus has been or not is actually really valuable for
passengers.

That would be too easy - this way they get to pump 12p per SMS out of
people, along with all nice money they are now making off the 0843 travel
information number - which I have to say is a dead loss having had to use it
now a couple of times.

It's almost as useful as the mobile journey planner for buses (Where you
want to go from stop A to B but don't know the exact names, or codes) or
even better trying to find disruption and where diverted buses are calling
(Like Peckham at the moment)

They could also save some money by taking out some of the masses of signs in
certain places as you say above. The datafeed to the web will be useful
*PROVIDED* it can be accessed via a mobile browser rather than enforced to a
PC browser.

I feel some more open data requests coming here

Old April 5th 11, 05:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 5, 6:45*pm, "Q" ..@.. wrote:
[...] The datafeed to the web will be useful
*PROVIDED* it can be accessed via a mobile browser rather than enforced
to a PC browser.

From the press release that kicked off this thread...

---quote---
You'll also be able to get the latest service information using mobile
web or the internet. Search by bus stop name, street name, area and
postcode. You'll also be able to use a map if using a desktop PC.

Web and text messaging services are scheduled to be available in 2011.
---/quote---
Old April 5th 11, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On Apr 5, 6:45 pm, "Q" ..@.. wrote:
[...] The datafeed to the web will be useful
*PROVIDED* it can be accessed via a mobile browser rather than enforced
to a PC browser.

From the press release that kicked off this thread...

---quote---
You'll also be able to get the latest service information using mobile
web or the internet. Search by bus stop name, street name, area and
postcode. You'll also be able to use a map if using a desktop PC.

Web and text messaging services are scheduled to be available in 2011.
---/quote---

Mybad for not fully reading!

However, so long as the mobile version isn't like the mobile version of bus
disruption then it should be nice to see this in action.

Old April 6th 11, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote

At present the timetable info is just what Journey Planner holds -
irritatingly referring to intervals rather than minutes past the hour
although even this practice varies widely between services. However

the
interface is clearly designed to pick up real time info when TfL link

it
across to I-Bus data. I have to say it looks quite promising [...]

As noted, nexsbuses.mobi (which is run by traveline ) has the the
underlying minutes past the hour for TfL bus services right now. Try
Kingston Eden street D1 for a mix of TfL (time table) and non-TFL (time
table plus occasional real time info for Abellio Surrey).

--
Mike D

Old April 6th 11, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Paul Corfield wrote:
I tried doing Google searches based on the info provided by Mr Dolbear
further down the thread. This brings up what I suspect is the web
interface that TfL will use for this service. As he said it is possible
to get the code numbers by googling for the name of your regular bus
stops. I now have a list of the codes for my regular stops.

There's a little toy I built last year that links through to
the relevent pages on nextbuses.mobi based on your current location:

http://dajam.org

Tested on Android, and I beleive works on iPhone too. When the TfL
web site launches, I'll update it to link to that too. The NaPTAN
import it's using is around a year old, so it may not know about
recent changes to bus stops. Feedback welcome.

-roy