Old April 12th 11, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heightened Security & Photography

On 10 Apr, 12:27, Railist wrote:
Last week I made the monumental mistake of taking photographs of
Cockfosters Station, on my way home from work.

I always take pictures of tube stations - the Piccadilly Line ones are
just beautiful. Especially Southgate, but I digress.

One of the station staff approached me and asked what I was doing and
I told him. (I have spoken to him before about taking pictures and it
was never a problem...)

First things first - I should have asked permission as a courtesy. I
totally accept that. In my defence it was spare of the moment with the
light and shadows and I was in the last carriage, so didn't think
about walking the length of the platform and back again. But yes, I
should have asked permission. I thought that was the end of it. I
apologised and explained that I thought it was fine because I recall
seeing a sign (somewhere) asking people not to take flash photography,
so I kind of thought that was a presumed permission.

He then said that I was causing alarm amongst passengers and drivers
- which was totally not the case. There were no passengers or drivers
about at that time. And I actually don't want people in photographs of
buildings.
One of the cleaners exclaimed something in French to me but I didn't
understand. But accept that she could have been alarmed. But then she
alarmed me by not speaking in English but that's beside the point.

He then got his supervisor who asked the same question, and said he
understood that I wanted to take pictures of the architecture but I
wasn't too photograph anything in the roof, due to "heightened
security". Yet Cockfosters is without staff for several hours in the
morning and evening - if security was so heightened should this not be
addressed? Or was that a fib?

SO I then decided to check the TfL website, where I discovered some
fairly stringent rules about taking pictures, hehttp://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...aspx#section-2

TfL's website offers a "student/non professional users" £40 license
fee, that takes about three weeks to be processed and "this permit is
only a permit to film or photograph. It does not allow you to publish
or broadcast your photographs or films anywhere externally, including
on the internet..."

Then I found this:https://custserv.tfl.gov.uk/icss_csi...ion.do?entityN...

Taking photographs on the Tube
If you are just passing through, you shouldn't have a problem taking
personal snaps, souvenir shots etc. although you must NOT use flash or
lights on any of our platforms. However, if you want to spend more
than 10-15 minutes at any one station videoing or taking photos, or if
they are for professional use, you MUST have a permit.

So, I was correct in the presumed permission - the pictures were not
for professional use, and I was at the station for about 5 minutes.

I suppose my point is that if you want to take pictures, take a print
out of that webpage from TfL with you! And that if people mention
security as a reason for anything, I instantly lose interest in what
they are saying. It seems such an easy one-excuse-fits-all kind of
answer.

You didn't make any mistake this member of staff did, ask for his name
and report him to LU/TFL.

The only restriction is on flash photography.

Old April 12th 11, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 12:37:12PM +0100, Mizter T wrote:

Yes Pippa, it's hard to believe it but it seems you've finally found proof
that operatives sit in the TfL Lair Of Doom buried deep under London looking
for ways to purposefully frustrate everyone - they monitor all
communications, and are perpetually tinkering with things so as to cause
frustration so as to please their twisted psyches. Even when you do
encounter supposed helpfulness, if you look deep into their eyes you'll see
the tell tale giveaway signs that they aren't like you or I, but are in fact
lizards, who exist here on earth to fulfill some devilish masterplan so
obscure and unfathomable that we can merely wonder and shudder at their
fundamental evil.

Yes, that's an excellent description of someone who would deliberately
generate URLs for useful information that can't be bookmarked.

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

Immigration: making Britain great since AD43
Old April 12th 11, 07:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10/04/2011 12:27, Railist wrote:

I suppose my point is that if you want to take pictures, take a print
out of that webpage from TfL with you! And that if people mention
security as a reason for anything, I instantly lose interest in what
they are saying. It seems such an easy one-excuse-fits-all kind of
answer.

I used Oktyabrskaya station on the Minsk metro a fortnight ago.
Photography is apparently banned on the metro, which must be why they
are safe from bad things happening...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old April 12th 11, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12/04/2011 11:02, George wrote:
On 10 Apr, 12:27, wrote:
[...]

IMHO, many of them enjoy intimidating passengers in order to feel powerful.
Old April 13th 11, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

On Apr 12, 10:27*pm, wrote:
In article , ()
wrote:

You didn't make any mistake this member of staff did, ask for his name
and report him to LU/TFL.

The only restriction is on flash photography.

IMHO, many of them enjoy intimidating passengers in order to feel
powerful.

Too true, especially of cyclists. I had some pretty offensive treatment
from a SWT guard with my bike between Wandsworth Town and Putney.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

On the other hand last week there was a SWT guard on the train from
Feltham to Waterloo who kept passengers amused by making humorous
announcements. One of his more serious ones was that he would get
seriously upset if he caught anyone with their feet up on the opposite
seat. He got a rousing cheer at that. When people left they thanked
him. CJB.

Old April 13th 11, 06:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 12, 10:27*pm, wrote:

In article , ()
wrote:
[staff]
IMHO, many of them enjoy intimidating passengers in order to feel
powerful.

Too true, especially of cyclists. I had some pretty offensive treatment
from a SWT guard with my bike between Wandsworth Town and Putney.

What happened?
Old April 13th 11, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, CJB
writes

On the other hand last week there was a SWT guard on the train from
Feltham to Waterloo who kept passengers amused by making humorous
announcements. One of his more serious ones was that he would get
seriously upset if he caught anyone with their feet up on the opposite
seat. He got a rousing cheer at that.

I've heard some good announcements on the SWT loop lines, ranging from a
good history of the ramps between Putney and Wandsworth Town, to an
almost interminable exposition of the variety of destinations reachable
from Clapham Junction, relieved only by details of the likely platform
needed for each destination (the latter announcement hadn't even been
finished by the time we pulled away from CJ).
--
Paul Terry