Old June 6th 11, 06:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Olympic impact on commuters and deliveries - serious worries

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 17:49:58 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

I don't understand this "night" peak.

AIUI about 6 million people create the normal London peak flows. Even if
all of the Olympic venues finish late it isn't going to be more than
250,000, a fraction of the normal peak so why's it a problem?

I was merely relating what I have heard / read at work

I wasn't referring to anything you wrote.

I was talking about things that I myself had read in the press

tim

Old June 6th 11, 06:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 13:21:40 on Mon, 6 Jun
2011, tim.... remarked:
I don't understand this "night" peak.

AIUI about 6 million people create the normal London peak flows. Even
if
all of the Olympic venues finish late it isn't going to be more than
250,000, a fraction of the normal peak so why's it a problem?

Because many Intercity routes shut down too early.

Oh I see the need for extra trains.

It's any justification in calling it a "peak" flow that I can't see!

It's because everyone will be leaving the Olympic venues at pretty much
the same time, creating a genuine "peak" flow at about 11pm, it having
been quiet since maybe 8pm.

It just a later last train as is normal on New Year's eve. No-one calls
that a third peak.

I hope it's more than just one extra train!

It will probably be one per "end of line". Is that what you meant?

For one thing, as in my examples up thread, they need to be taking people
further from London than is traditional on a train starting at 9pm+ (I
recall when the last train home to Westbury from Paddington was a
party-pooping 8.30pm,

It still is.

Westbury is a poor example. It's a tiny place that just happens to have a
main line next to it. There are bigger places in the area that get no
trains at all!

Places West of Westbury are served by later trains running via Bristol

Old June 6th 11, 06:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:12:52 on Mon, 6 Jun
2011, tim.... remarked:
I hope it's more than just one extra train!

It will probably be one per "end of line". Is that what you meant?

No, I don't think one train, late enough for the stragglers, will be
good enough for the majority of midnight travellers.

The timetable has apparently been "released" but is not public. When we
can see it, then these questions will be answered.

For one thing, as in my examples up thread, they need to be taking people
further from London than is traditional on a train starting at 9pm+ (I
recall when the last train home to Westbury from Paddington was a
party-pooping 8.30pm,

It still is.

Westbury is a poor example. It's a tiny place that just happens to have a
main line next to it. There are bigger places in the area that get no
trains at all!

And which therefore use Westbury as a railhead. (I used to drive there
from Frome, for example).

Places West of Westbury are served by later trains running via Bristol

The 20.35 is listed as the last train to Plymouth, the last to Taunton
and Exeter is 21.45 (I'm ignoring the sleeper).
Old June 7th 11, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 18:12:52 on Mon, 6 Jun
2011, tim.... remarked:
I hope it's more than just one extra train!

It will probably be one per "end of line". Is that what you meant?

No, I don't think one train, late enough for the stragglers, will be good
enough for the majority of midnight travellers.

I think that's all most routes are going to get :-(

The timetable has apparently been "released" but is not public. When we
can see it, then these questions will be answered.

For one thing, as in my examples up thread, they need to be taking
people
further from London than is traditional on a train starting at 9pm+ (I
recall when the last train home to Westbury from Paddington was a
party-pooping 8.30pm,

It still is.

Westbury is a poor example. It's a tiny place that just happens to have a
main line next to it. There are bigger places in the area that get no
trains at all!

And which therefore use Westbury as a railhead. (I used to drive there
from Frome, for example).

And can equally use Bath as a railhead

Places West of Westbury are served by later trains running via Bristol

The 20.35 is listed as the last train to Plymouth, the last to Taunton and
Exeter is 21.45 (I'm ignoring the sleeper).

Why? What wrong with the sleeper?

tim

Old June 7th 11, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:34:53 on Tue, 7 Jun
2011, tim.... remarked:
Westbury is a poor example. It's a tiny place that just happens to have a
main line next to it. There are bigger places in the area that get no
trains at all!

And which therefore use Westbury as a railhead. (I used to drive there
from Frome, for example).

And can equally use Bath as a railhead

In the general case - you have to be kidding! Dreadful journey, twice as
far, horrible parking. For the Olympics, maybe people willing to drive
for half an hour at 1.30am could use Bath instead.

Places West of Westbury are served by later trains running via Bristol

The 20.35 is listed as the last train to Plymouth, the last to Taunton and
Exeter is 21.45 (I'm ignoring the sleeper).

Why? What wrong with the sleeper?

Because there are a very limited number of sleeper routes (and sleeper
capacity), and so you can't rely on a sleeper train to mop up all the
late stragglers from the Olympics. You need other trains too.

Old June 7th 11, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Why not simply hold the whole Olympics at Olympia? The place is big
enough.
Old June 7th 11, 06:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

[...]

I was speaking generally. The (seated portion of the) sleeper train has
been the last train of the day to Bath/Bristol and points west for 30 years.

You can't discount it when working out the last train to those destinations.

I accept that it won't be useful for the Olympics, but I thought we had got
beyond that discussion.

tim

Old June 7th 11, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Offramp" wrote in message
Why not simply hold the whole Olympics at Olympia? The place is big
enough.

would that be this one:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...impia_2007.JPG

or this one:

http://www.thinkconferences.co.uk/im...-venue-001.jpg

tim

Old June 14th 11, 11:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Roland Perry
wrote:
It's any justification in calling it a "peak" flow that I can't see!

It's because everyone will be leaving the Olympic venues at pretty much
the same time, creating a genuine "peak" flow at about 11pm, it having
been quiet since maybe 8pm.

In the 1910s and 1920s there was a similar late-night "peak" after the
theatres finished. There were even special services (e.g. Aldwych to
Finsbury Park).

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org