Old June 23rd 11, 02:55 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

First, why do you believe there is another reason I don't like Brian Paddick?

Second, why have you failed to understand that the paragraph you quoted was a generalisation and was not exclusively about Brian Paddick?

Third, if you are a Brian Paddick admirer, please put forward some arguments on his behalf.

Old June 23rd 11, 06:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Semi-OT - Liberal Democrat mayoral nomination & transport pledges

On 22/06/2011 17:54, Robin9 wrote:
Arthur Figgis;120738 Wrote:
On 21/06/2011 21:59, Robin9 wrote:
-
I've never liked the man. I first heard about him when was a senior
police officer in Lambeth. He was in the news quite a lot and I got
the
impression that this was by design. He got a lot of publicity by
adopting a tolerant policy towards the drugs trade and he was not
averse
to being interviewed about this on the radio.

Later he resigned from the police force and again secured masses of
publicity. He was soon announced as the Liberal Democrat candidate for
the Mayoral election. His campaign seemed to consist mainly of making
some rather obvious snide remarks about the other two parties. He had
nothing new or constructive to say about the two big issues the Mayor
Of
London has the means to tackle: housing and transport. I sensed that
the
main reason he wanted to be Mayor was to be able to settle an old
score
with Ian Blair.

All in all I formed the opinion that Brian Paddick was a
publicity-seeking, self-serving weasel.-

So what we need is a politician who doesn't want publicity, campaigns on

something other than "well at least I'm not him --", has real answers
to complex and long-standing problems, has no grudges, and is not a
self-serving weasel.

Could such a person actually exist on a non-trivial stage in a modern
popular democracy?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

What we need is a public-minded individual who recognises that publicity
is useful but is not an end it itself,

So the voters wouldn't have heard of him, while they would all know the
bloke off the telly.

and who has analysed both the
issues facing London and what powers the Mayor really has and who has
consequently worked out what issues the Mayor should concentrate on.

While the person is working out the issues, his evil opponent is telling
the world how he bites the heads off kittens, and the mud sticks (if it
didn't, people wouldn't throw it).

Does such a paragon exist? Of course. We have innumerable good,
conscientious people in this country. Unfortunately, because they are
good and conscientious, they will never be adopted by the established
political parties whose members want candidates who share their own
mean-spirited prejudices and priorities.

More likely that such a person couldn't survive. Would a "good,
conscientious" person even be willing push themselves forwards at the
right opportunity (see any committee in human history)? Would they want
to put their family through it?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old June 29th 11, 01:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 09:49:14PM +0100, Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:

* Brian Paddick

Last time round, his transport policies we

* women-only tube carriages (sexist and stupid)
* free wifi across London, paid for by cutting TfL's communications
budget (stupid, and would only have applied to the inner boroughs but
you can bet the outer boroughs wouldn't get a discount on our taxes);
* lots of ANPR and linking it to "GPS technology", whatever that means;
* a high speed rail link to Scotland (which is outside the mayor's
remit)

So, despite me being a member of the Lib Dems, I didn't vote for him,
because he's an idiot.

Tuffrey is pleding express buses at peak hours and more
orbital routes, as well as raising extra funding through a municipal bond
scheme and switching to green energy.

Uh-huh. The mayor has no say in energy policy, and municipal bonds
would require an act of Parliament.

--
David Cantrell | Minister for Arbitrary Justice

If you can't imagine how I do something, it's
because I have a better imagination than you
Old July 1st 11, 10:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011, David Cantrell wrote:

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 09:49:14PM +0100, Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:

Tuffrey is pleding express buses at peak hours and more
orbital routes, as well as raising extra funding through a municipal bond
scheme and switching to green energy.

Uh-huh. The mayor has no say in energy policy, and municipal bonds
would require an act of Parliament.

Like Crossrail, new tram schemes, or many other things mayoral candidates
propose, and that mayors have done. Can't we take it as read that "through
a municipal bond scheme" means "through getting a private bill to enable
municipal bonds through parliament and then exercising the powers it
confers"?

I'm not saying it's a good idea, mind!

tom

--
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
right. -- Lord Hailsham
Old July 3rd 11, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In the interests of neutrality here's Brian Paddick's pitch to Lib Dem
members on why they should pick him:

http://www.libdemvoice.org/brian-pad...012-24581.html

(I'm sorry that it's not a piece with any of his policies on transport - or
much else for that matter!)

Old July 11th 11, 12:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The shortlist will be officially published shortly, but according to the
Grauniad there are four names on it and they are the only four who've
applied.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/d...date-shortlist

Three names have been discussed already on this thread: Lembit Öpik, Brian
Paddick and Mike Tuffrey. The fourth is Brian Haley, a former Haringey
councillor who defected to the Lib Dems in January 2010 after being
deselected by Labour and rejected by the Conservatives. He's very keen on
controlled parking zones, as are the Lib Dems in general (it's about their
one constant in local government).

http://www.haringeyindependent.co.uk...princi ples_/

Old July 27th 11, 01:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The Lib Dems are currently in the process of hustings and balloting. All
four candidates have submitted a two-page manifesto to members, with the
full set available at:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/60713785/l...manifestos2011
(Warning: BIG file)

Their transport pledges are as follows:

Brian Haley:

* Review all bus routes into London
* Reduce the number of large vehicles coming into the city *
* Bring canals back into use
* Make it easier to walk and cycle
* Wants to negotiate a no-strike deal with the unions

(* It's not clear in a number of candidates' material whether by "the
city"/"the City" they mean the Square Mile or the whole metropolis.)

Lembit Opik:

(Note - it's emerged that Opik didn't write this manifesto himself, and has
since pledged to sign off everything going out in his name. Given the
approach on some issues - particularly "explaining" why he lost
Montgomeryshire - I reckon the author is Ed Joyce, director of
Lembit4London.)

* Encourage working from home
* Run some tubes 24 hours, exploring all options, refusing to be "defeatist"
and making passengers pay for their journey

Brian Paddick:

* Hold down fares, to be financed by "scrapping Boris Johnson's vanity
projects"
* Maintain the bus fare subsidy
* A clean-air zone for central London with action on high-polluting vehicles
* Hand over some TfL land for affordable new homes

Mike Tuffrey:

Policy pledges are rather light on the manifesto but amongst the snippets we
get:

* Campaign to bring London's trains under the Mayor's power
* Fight for cleaner air

Old July 27th 11, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:39:25 on Wed, 27 Jul
2011, Tim Roll-Pickering remarked:

* Bring canals back into use

Which canals are not in use?

Actually, there's few in London, the longest of which by far seems to be
the Croydon Canal (closed 1836), but it hardly seems like a priority to
get it restored, especially as it would mean closing some railways which
have re-used parts of the alignment!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Kingdom#Aband
oned_or_unnavigable_canals_in_England
Old July 27th 11, 05:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote:

In message , at 14:39:25 on Wed, 27 Jul
2011, Tim Roll-Pickering remarked:

* Bring canals back into use

Which canals are not in use?

Actually, there's few in London, the longest of which by far seems to be
the Croydon Canal (closed 1836), but it hardly seems like a priority to
get it restored, especially as it would mean closing some railways which
have re-used parts of the alignment!

That'd be the Brighton mainline which uses the Croydon Canal alignment
between New Cross and Croydon - not sure if rail passengers would really
welcome transferring to canal boats to cover this stretch!

The London Canals website is the 'go to' reference site:
http://www.londoncanals.co.uk/

Old July 27th 11, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 14:39:25 +0100, "Tim Roll-Pickering"
wrote:

The Lib Dems are currently in the process of hustings and balloting.

All four candidates have submitted a two-page manifesto to members,
with the full set available at:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/60713785/l...manifestos2011
(Warning: BIG file)

Their transport pledges are

... mostly drivel.

Are these people really as clueless (on transport) as they appear?

I don't know them all but I'd trust Brian Paddick and Mike Tuffrey at least
as good team workers who would work with people who are not clueless.

Not unlike Boris in that respect (only) in fact.

--
Colin Rosenstiel