Old July 28th 11, 08:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Semi-OT - Liberal Democrat mayoral nomination & transport pledges

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 20:23:29 +0100
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 14:39:25 +0100, "Tim Roll-Pickering"
wrote:

The Lib Dems are currently in the process of hustings and balloting. All
four candidates have submitted a two-page manifesto to members, with the
full set available at:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/60713785/l...manifestos2011
(Warning: BIG file)

Their transport pledges are

.... mostly drivel.

Are these people really as clueless (on transport) as they appear?

Since none of them are ever going to be elected they can make whatever
fairytail promises they like and never have to back them up.

B2003

Old September 3rd 11, 12:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

For those who haven't yet seen the outcome, Brian Paddick has been selected
as the Liberal Democrat nominee for Mayor.

A reminder of his transport pledge from his two page manifesto:

* Hold down fares, to be financed by "scrapping Boris Johnson's vanity
projects"
* Maintain the bus fare subsidy
* A clean-air zone for central London with action on high-polluting
vehicles
* Hand over some TfL land for affordable new homes

The full figures, for those interested, we

First round
Brian Paddick 1,289 (42%)
Mike Tuffrey 1,232 (40%)
Brian Haley 316 (10%)
Lembit Opik 252 (8%)
Total valid votes: 3,089

Second round
Brian Paddick 1,567 (51%)
Mike Tuffrey 1,476 (49%)
Majority: 91 (2%)

Old September 3rd 11, 08:11 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Roll-Pickering View Post
[...]

So the Liberal Democrats, like Labour, have decided to make it easy for Boris Johnson to be re-elected. I am an early and severe critic of Boris but I will vote for him because he is at least tolerable. I am sure there are many other Londoners who will vote likewise for the same reason.
Old September 3rd 11, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 01:27:32 +0100, "Tim Roll-Pickering"
wrote:

For those who haven't yet seen the outcome, Brian Paddick has been
selected
as the Liberal Democrat nominee for Mayor.

A shame because he'll get squashed out of the way by Ken and Boris.

While Mr Tuffrey may have less of a profile than Mr Paddick I think he
would have placed both of the other candidates under a lot of scrutiny
about policy and delivery which is what is actually needed. We're not
holding a beauty parade

You may not be, but the majority of the electorate are

tim

Old September 3rd 11, 04:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

While Mr Tuffrey may have less of a profile than Mr Paddick I think he
would have placed both of the other candidates under a lot of scrutiny
about policy and delivery which is what is actually needed. We're not
holding a beauty parade - it's an election where clear plans, good
ideas and proper scrutiny of delivery against their previously
declared commitments is required.

I'm afraid elected Mayors are not turning out quite the way people expected
(and hoped?) - I think the expectation was that the posts would attract new
talent, especially from industry, who would be interested in running for a
direct executive post but not in the street level work that councillors do
which is a pre-requisite to being a council leader. Unfortunately the UK
party system doesn't operate in such a way that such outsiders can dip in to
electoral politics. Ironically Paddick in 2008 is the nearest to a US style
candidate that any of the parties on the GLA have yet fielded and both he
and the Lib Dems found the experience an unhappy one (he says he's learnt
from the experience and certainly he's more experienced in Lib Dem
campaigning now).

The other problem is that elected Mayors are not seen as a stepping stone to
higher things because it's hard to know if one can return to the Commons, so
the ambitious are not drawn to the post (okay Lembit stood but... he's
Lembit). Here it will take time and precedents to change that to show the
talent can easily jump between venues.

I dread to think what will happen if we ever get regional government -
whatever one may think of special advisors going into safe Westminster seats
they do have political knowledge and talent but are unlikely to stand for
regional assemblies. Anyone fancy a chamber full of county councillors who
fancy a nice sinecure?

Months of political jamboree is going to be tedious in the extreme.
Recent skirmishes between Ken and Boris "supporters" fill me with
dread.

If you think Boris's supporters hate Livingstone, you should hear some of
the attitudes held about him in certain London Labour Parties.

Old September 3rd 11, 07:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Tim Roll-Pickering) wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

[...]

Don't be quite so dismissive about councillors. Many MPs once had that role
and some in all parties are very good. My present MP was a County Councillor
until 2009. I'm sure he'll go far.

Some ex-councillor MPs may only make mediocre backbenchers but I wouldn't
accuse any of the former members of my council (Cambridge City) of that.
There are currently two and another two (both former council leaders)
retired in 2010.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old September 3rd 11, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I dread to think what will happen if we ever get regional government
- whatever one may think of special advisors going into safe
Westminster seats they do have political knowledge and talent but are
unlikely to stand for regional assemblies. Anyone fancy a chamber
full of county councillors who fancy a nice sinecure?

Don't be quite so dismissive about councillors. Many MPs once had that
role
and some in all parties are very good. My present MP was a County
Councillor
until 2009. I'm sure he'll go far.

There are good ones who are drawn to Westminster and good ones who are
unlikely to ever stand for it but the question I raised is would they be
drawn to devolved assemblies? It's a question that needs to be addressed
seriously (albeit rather OT for this newsgroup) before new bodies and
elections are held. When the London Mayoral referendum was held back in 1998
the party introducing it took the official line of "we are discussing
creating the post, not who will be our candidate for it" which in hindsight
has proved a mess because nobody was really stopping to ask just whether or
not the culture was there that would produce the kind of candidates
envisaged.

And then there are the devolved Parliaments and Assemblies, where a common
complaint is that the non-nationalist parties are generally sending their
high profile best talent to Westminster and, with some individual
exceptions, Holyrood and Cardiff Bay are left with B-list talent (or C-list
when they suffer a reversal that replaces a load of constituency members
with listers). English regional assemblies would be even less attractive.

Old September 3rd 11, 10:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Tim Roll-Pickering) wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I know what you mean about Holyrood and Cardiff. Labour got it right in 1999
when Donald Dewar forsook the UK Cabinet for Scottish First Minister. It was
tragic that he then died.

My views on London are coloured by a deep dislike of concentrating so much
in one pair of hands. It's a system seriously vulnerable to corruption and
not suitable for the UK.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old September 5th 11, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
For those who haven't yet seen the outcome, Brian Paddick has been selected
as the Liberal Democrat nominee for Mayor.

A shame because he'll get squashed out of the way by Ken and Boris.

Good. He's a loon. Remember his transport policies four years ago?
Women-only tube carriages, and free wifi (in the inner boroughs only,
presumably) paid for by slashing TfL's communications budget.
Apparently it's better to compete with Starbucks than to tell people
when the Tube gone done broke.

While Mr Tuffrey may have less of a profile than Mr Paddick I think he
would have placed both of the other candidates under a lot of scrutiny
about policy and delivery which is what is actually needed.

FWIW, I'm a member of the Lib Dems. I got campaigning emails from all
four candidates. I replied to all four, asking detailed questions. The
only one to give a decent reply was Tuffrey.

* A clean-air zone for central London with action on high-polluting
vehicles

Don't we have the LEZ already?

That's one of the questions I asked him and didn't get a reply to.

fdisk format reinstall, doo-dah, doo-dah;
fdisk format reinstall, it's the Windows way
Old September 5th 11, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, Sep 03, 2011 at 05:20:02PM +0100, Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:

The other problem is that elected Mayors are not seen as a stepping stone to
higher things because it's hard to know if one can return to the Commons, so
the ambitious are not drawn to the post

Johnson isn't ambitious?

Please stop rolling your Jargon Dice and explain the problem
you are having to me in plain English, using small words.
-- John Hardin, in the Monastery