Old June 27th 11, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default "Geographically accurate Tube Map"

On 26/06/2011 18:43, Martin Petrov wrote:
http://london-tubemap.com/

I know we all know that the tube map is far from geographically accurate
and there have been loads of maps that have appeared that show where the
lines accurately - but this one is the closest I've seen to something
that straddles complete accuracy and cleanness of the real current one.

Would there be any value in this (or similar) becoming the standard tube
map as opposed to the current one?

Reminds me of the maps on the New York City Subway, which in years past
showed only straight lines, but then went over to show more
geographically correct information.

Old June 27th 11, 09:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote on 27 June 2011 20:08:17 ...
In , at 18:43:45 on Mon, 27
Jun 2011, Richard remarked:

It needs a few tweaks to get it right, but idea is a good one.

eg, HEx should be shown going through Ealing Broadway (& Westbourne Pk)

Why is HEX even shown - if it appears why don't all mainline services?

Arguably it's Connect (although that makes missing Ealing Broadway even
worse) due to showing a through route to T4.

Connect no longer runs through to T4. There is a HEx-liveried shuttle
service between Heathrow Central and T4.

Looking at their online timetable, it doesn't seem to run through to T5
either.

Correct. Despite the headline on their site which says "Improved
service to Terminal 4", Connect only runs between Paddington and
Heathrow Central (T1&3), apart from a few journeys at the start and end
of the day. It has never served T5.

But it runs through to T4 on a Sunday.

So it does. I hadn't noticed that. It appears to be the old arrangement
whereby the Connect train does PAD - T1&3 - T4 - T1&3 - T4 - T1&3 - PAD.
--
Richard J.
Old June 29th 11, 07:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 26, 6:43*pm, Martin Petrov
wrote:
http://london-tubemap.com/

I know we all know that the tube map is far from geographically accurate
and there have been loads of maps that have appeared that show where the
lines accurately - but this one is the closest I've seen to something
that straddles complete accuracy and cleanness of the real current one.

Would there be any value in this (or similar) becoming the standard tube
map as opposed to the current one?

It seems to me to miss the very thing that makes the (modern
equivalent of the) Beck diagram useful: limiting to horizontal and
vertical lines, and the 45deg diagonals. That, in my opinion, makes
it easy for the eye to scan across and pick out whatever station or
line is required. With its mass/mess of lines all over the place,
it's a strain to read, like small print in poor light. At least the
angles are curved.

PhilD